PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is better: Woods or TBC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Who is better Woods or TBC?

Interestingly, or perhaps curiously, Dean Pees suggested the strongest part of Woods' game was his pass rush, but that for whatever reason he (Pees, not Woods) hadn't had the opportunity to make use of it on a consistent basis. If true, there is a whole facet of Woods' game that we've yet to see.

i heard the same dean pees interview. In our system a OLB needs to set the edge vs run and hold the RB from busting outside then they pass rush,He is 26 and will be better as he played more snaps then before. our running defence did not fall off the cliff with him in and ty out.

I do understand why people do not remember how bad TBC was .As a starter every team ran on him and had good to great success yet even with ty warren niked up and out his backup and woods did a better job.IN games he started for the 9`rs he could not hold the edge and was benched for that reason.

On patriots today in light`s charity shootout AD did an interview and says woods is the fastest and pure atheletic member of the LB group.

woods is going to be a good player for us he has more promise and potential he is a big olb and cannot cover players like a 220 ILB but he did a good job on FB and RB coming off the back field. He tackled players and did not let huge gains.

woods given starting chance improved every game where TBC just did nothing with us and 9 rs .His run stopping was bad that his ever worse coverage skill looked better.He is worse then woods against the run and also agianst the pass.

satz

Last edited:
TBC is a role player, a fine pass rusher. Last I heard, we needed another one. His game experience should have helped him. TBC is a top special teamer. TBC has less upside potential, but that seems reasonable since he's been a starter for a couple of years. In the end, TBC is a veteran role player who understands our system and fits in well. He replaces Redd on the roster.

Woods is all about potential, although he is a top special teamer. The question is how long should the team wait? Should the team tender him at $1.5M, at $2.2M? Is he worth this money for one year? I have suggested that he is worth the $2.2M while we see what we have in Crable, a rookie, and the Practice Squad players. Perhaps the team has decided to go another, less expensive route. Maybe we'll just tender him at $1.5M and accept a second if it offered.

OLB: Vrabel, Woods, TBC, Crable
ILB: Thomas, Mayo, Guyton, Bruschi
competing for a backup spot or two: rookie, Redd, Ruud, Robertson, Craig, Izzo, (Colvin) (Seau)

I am not at all convinced that we will draft a linebacker, except perhaps for the Practice Squad.

Last edited:
TBC............pats need outside rush

I like them both for what they are. Neither is a starter but they both are really good on STs and are decent back ups.

I think Woods is slightly better all around but I think TBC is clearly the better pass rusher which if the starters are healthy might be more important.

I hope they are both here next year scratch that I hope we get someone better but if they are both here that is OK.

To those who say Alexander was taking TBC spot keep in mind Alexander was an ILB and while him seeing the field meant at times TBC didn't it was a different position. And could have had more to do with where they wanted Vrabel who moved inside due to injuries.

I see alot of potential in Woods to be a capable LB. I see TBS as a situational pass rusher, IMO, this signing was good for us. I'd be pretty happy with this quiet signing if TBC could turn out another 5 or more sacks this season. The more pass rushers the better.

I felt TBC was too often out of control when he did get pressure on a QB. Was quite upset after his last sack attempt resulted in a penalty for a shot to the head of the QB. Was glad to see the team move on. Sorry to see him back as it indicates a lack of confidence in some of the youngsters. Woods is definitely better, IMO.

I felt TBC was too often out of control when he did get pressure on a QB. Was quite upset after his last sack attempt resulted in a penalty for a shot to the head of the QB. Was glad to see the team move on. Sorry to see him back as it indicates a lack of confidence in some of the youngsters. Woods is definitely better, IMO.

why does it have to be lack of confidence what if it was not much more than a veteran ST guy to replace Izzo who I am doubting will be back....I assume there is a little more to it but TBC is not holding back any young talent.

why does it have to be lack of confidence what if it was not much more than a veteran ST guy to replace Izzo who I am doubting will be back....I assume there is a little more to it but TBC is not holding back any young talent.

Good Point. Larry Okies's time with the Pats was drawing to a close anyway. Bill signed Sam Atkins, the former Bills ST captain and ST probowler, to take his place last season. This year he does. TBC may just be another end of the bench LB - ST player. The differnce is that TBC can contribute occasionally on the regular Defense unlike Larry or Alexander.:D

It didn`t take long after he was released for BB to sign him.
Thats what BB thought of him.

Re: Who is better Woods or TBC?

I would point out that Woods started three games and had one sack; projected over 16 games that would be 5 sacks/season. But Woods is a much better edge setter than TBC, and not just a good, but a superb ST player.

Yeah, well, he played in 12 games last year, and got one sack. Projected over 16 games that's 1.3 sacks/season.
He had one sack against the Jets, and played in two games against the Jets. Projected over 16 games, if the Pats played the Jets, that's 8 sacks/season.
He had one sack in the OT game. Projected...
As long as you ignore the other nine games he played in last year, there are lots of ways to make his stats look better.

Putting aside performance, I put a lot of stock in the coach's comments. If Pees believes that Woods shows the capacity to be a good pass rusher, that's welcome insight. I'd love to see it. Sadly, to date he has been less effective on the field as a pass rusher than TBC was with similar opportunities. I totally agree that he is a more well-rounded player, and I'd rather keep Woods than TBC.

My top hope for the offseason is an athletic pass-rushing OLB from the draft. Someone who can play on third down and with the lead to really pressure the passer. Anyone of Everette Brown, Brian Orakpo, Aaron Maybin, Clint Sintim, Larry English, or Connor Barwin in the first two rounds. An OLB corps of Vrabel, Thomas, Woods, top rookie pass-rusher, and one of Crabel, TBC, Redd, or Izzo as depth/ST would be a nice improvement.

TBC couldn't hack it for the 49ers, that should tell you enough. If he really was as great a pass rusher as some people think he would have played in that situational role for San Fransisco but he only had 4 sacks in two years, 3.5 of them in 16 games in 2007. He is a more one dimensional player, and just because his strength is pass rushing doesn't mean he is particularly talented at it.

The coaching staff had time to bring back Rosey or come up with another solution when AD went down but they showed a lot of faith in Woods abilities by going with him instead. I think he is way ahead of where TBC was at this point in his career and that he has the potential to become a solid starter for us once he gets some more game experience.

This is the time of year when we sign the TJ Slaughters and Chad Browns, I think the coaching staff see TBC in that light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News