Amateur Time at Gillette in 2024

Sam Bam Cunningham

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
First time head coach
First time DC
First time OC (Caley)
First time GM or co-GM's
First Time Special Teams Coordinator ( 2 years of NFL experience as an assistant coordinator)
Probably a first time QB

we all know how next year will go. Learning on the job for all of them. How could Kraft not insist that at least someone have some experience for the leadership positions on the team?
Apparently Kraft thinks his "gut feeling" will be worth a few wins.

Last edited:
Look on the bright side, you can start researching potential top players in the 2025 draft now.

I like it this way honestly. Now people can stop pretending that we are close to being contenders and a true rebuild can commence not just in the organization but in the minds of the fan base.

I still can't wrap my head around how badly Belichick mismanaged building the roster. I can't think of many teams with a worse offensive side of the ball than the Patriots. The Panthers maybe? For a guy who's supposed to know football so well I think any average GM could of done better. With that said maybe they actually start drafting the talented popular players. It should at least be interesting and entertaining.

No more Jordan Richards in round 2.

As much as folks are prognosticating how bad things will be next year, right now am still recovering from how bad things were last year..

There is an underabundance of talent on the O side, suspect that whatever they field next year will be better than last year. Meanwhile the Pats amount of FA money and position in the draft have to make me think things will improve.

The BB philosophy of being able to "coach up" mediocre talent, crapped the bed big time.

But they are ready.

its gonna be alright, cuz
Mission Reaction GIF

First time head coach
First time DC
First time OC (Caley)
First time GM or co-GM's
Probably a first time QB

we all know how next year will go. Learning on the job for all of them. How could Kraft not insist that at least someone have some experience for the leadership positions on the team?
Did I miss Caley being announced?

First time head coach
First time DC
First time OC (Caley)
First time GM or co-GM's
Probably a first time QB

Sam, are you ever happy? Seriously. No matter what they do, if it isn’t precisely what you want, you come in here crying about it? You’re a bright guy, you have to realize on some level that others aren’t going to mind meld with you and always do exactly what you want them to do. Right?

First time head coach
First time DC
First time OC (Caley)
First time GM or co-GM's
Probably a first time QB

Ok, so let's rehire BB as HC/GM,
Bring back Fat Matt as OC, Judge as QB coach and Mac Jones as our starting qb.
There's your experience.
You are a world-class whiner.
You're not happy unless you're *****ing about something.

Look on the bright side, you can start researching potential top players in the 2025 draft now.

We were already told it's a **** draft with no QB prospects to drool over.

They gotta nail this draft.

Not to nitpick, but while he never had the specific title of general manager, Eliot Wolf was the Director of Football Operations for the Green Bay Packers for a few years (as well as an Asst GM for the Browns). If he's the guy, I'd say there's experience there.

Also, not to use Houston as an example every time, because I think they're a rare thing: But this past year they had:

First time HC
First time OC
First time QB

They had experience at DC (but let's see how much of the defensive staff the Pats retain, as Mayo can provide overall experience and leadership on that side of the ball)

And obviously they have Caserio, who while experienced was someone people **** on CONSTANTLY here.

It isn't a death sentence, and 2024 is about building for the future, not trying to win the Super Bowl.

It's a bit of a trend to hire ex-players from that team to be HC and hope it ignites something...
Campbell, Ryans, Pierce (never played for LV), and Mayo.

I can't imagine Mayo will have the success those guys had so quickly. I know Dan had a terrible first year, and if Mayo can follow that trajectory of making the CG in year 3, it'll be an amazing story!
(Although if they go 4-12 in his first year, it'll be a disaster)

First time head coach- Awesome. A career Patriot who really knows football and has been coaching their very good defense.

First time DC-Good. A good young coach who has done a really good job with their defensive line. More continuity for a very good defense.

First time OC- Good-another good young coach who is clearly well thought of on NFL ranks, which is why McVay hired him.

First time GM?- Groh and Wolf have been very involved in their personnel office the past few seasons, this means the Patriots can continue with their offseason plans for free agency and the Draft without having to start from scratch with a new personnel department. This is more good news.

First time QB-Halla****inglujah. . Thank God. The Patriots can bring in one of the best QB prospects in the country, and they have the $$$ to sign a veteran to allow them to watch and learn while they fix their OL and WR units.

How the hell can anyone, especially those who have been screaming for Belichick to go not be happy about this? They have turned the page to a younger coaching staff and personnel department, while maintaining some organizational continuity, and are sitting pretty for both the draft and free agency. And if you want to give Belichick credit for something then the fact that he didn’t leave them deep in cap hell while trying to break Shula’s wins record is it. This year sucked, but the future could end up being much brighter.

Last edited:
We were already told it's a **** draft with no QB prospects to drool over.

They gotta nail this draft.

That’s simply not true. I have been paying close attention to the draft and the more respected draft prognosticators really like all 3 top QB prospects. Go listen to the Move The Sticks podcast and hear for yourself. The only people spewing this line are the people who have a boner for Marvin Harrison Jr. or Joe Alt. They apparently think receiver or tackle is the most important position on the team, or that you can win Lombardi’s with Jacoby Brissett.

That’s simply not true. I have been paying close attention to the draft and the more respected draft prognosticators really like all 3 top QB prospects. Go listen to the Move The Sticks podcast and hear for yourself. The only people spewing this line are the people who have a boner for Marvin Harrison Jr. or Joe Alt. They apparently think receiver or tackle is the most important position on the team, or that you can win Lombardi’s with Jacoby Brissett.

2025 draft my friend. Not this one

Sam, are you ever happy? Seriously. No matter what they do, if it isn’t precisely what you want, you come in here crying about it? You’re a bright guy, you have to realize on some level that others aren’t going to mind meld with you and always do exactly what you want them to do. Right?
What's there to be happy about as Patriots fan post Brady? It's called being objective/realistic.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back