PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who gets GRONK's roster spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Derrick Martin is on the active roster.

Right you are. I got confused with inactives. Fells, Martin and Willliams were merely inactive. I also forgot about Kamar Aiken, also on the roster, so won't promote Ebert.

I will. I am scrappy and can be the second Wes Welkah.

It's official: Gronk to IR, per the whole media world on Twitter.

Mike Rodak ‏@mikerodak
The Patriots have placed Rob Gronkowski on injured reserve, according to their Thursday practice report

We bring up Kamar Aiken, and then cut him before the SB to bring up a lineman.

Callin it.

We bring up Kamar Aiken, and then cut him before the SB to bring up a lineman.

Callin it.

OT but, how come BB didn't just put Underwood on IR with a made up injury?

Gaffney, maybe?

It'll probably be Tarpinian. I don't think they would sign someone who hasn't practiced with the team this week.

Would signing any one of these guys (mainly from the TEs...Or from the WRs for returning kicks) be any good?

Best Available NFL Free Agents - Offense | The Sideline View

Gaffney...he should be here already.
Shiancoe...he knows the offense (I think), and maybe this time he'll actually try.
Mardy Gilyard...mostly for his potential at KOR.

I would have also considered Grahambo & Danny Gronk, but I feel that we need pass-catchers
more than we need blocking TEs.

I would have also considered Grahambo & Danny Gronk, but I feel that we need pass-catchers
more than we need blocking TEs.

While I don't necessarily feel that Belichick would step too far outside of the known player circle at this point in the season, Gaffney is always a popular choice for many of us. The only problem with that is that he'd likely only be here for emergency injury purposes anyway, but that's okay with me too. In that aspect I would agree that we could use another pass catcher, but otherwise we're pretty set, even with the loss of #87.

I actually think that the backup TE's need to produce only in the blocking aspect to help this team move forward, which is the same way that I initially felt when Gronk went down on Nov.18th.

Many here felt that we'd somehow see one of Schiancoe/Fells/Hooman actually producing in the passing game, but for some reason that didn't sound very realistic to me. Brady demands precision and timing, chemistry, and an awesome knowledge of the system to earn his trust with precious targets. If we didn't see much action from any of those guys before, then I just didn't see that changing when Gronk was initially injured.

However, the blocking aspect is a whole different ballgame. I truly believe that we need to see some improved blocking from Hernandez (obviously not as much due to his specific role here), Hooman, and possibly even Fells on any 3 TE possibilities. While Hooman has actually impressed me at times, none of their blocking has been considered too great for the majority of the time, so an increase in the blocking sense would be a very helpful attribute as we try and get that elusive title once again.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of seeing either of Hooman or Fells catch a pass or two at some point as a late progression target, but about 95% of their production will be in the blocking game, and they can help to offset the loss of Gronk by stepping it up a notch. That doesn't mean that I am necessarily knocking their blocking either, but it certainly can be improved, and a step up would go a long way in this very physical matchup--hopefully plural.

Tiquan... Cutting him was bad mojo last year

I just hope we don't cut Derrick Martin. He's the cheat code to winning the Super Bowl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News