PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are we missing more? - Gaffney or Seymour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going with Seymour. He led the team in sacks last year. He is in a contract year. He demands a double team which would free up guys like Adalius Thomas, TBC, Burgess, or whoever to go for the QB.

despite his loss...... did you like the brilliant business move w/ all attributes considered? Seymour was and is still getting older. We cashed in on an asset we would not have resigned. and he is way out of his prime.

How many times will Belichick let guys like Asante,Seymour,Gaffney walk away and expect his team to remain competitive year in and year out? - This is NOT 2003 or 2004 ANYMORE,Teams FOs are getting smarter and doing it the old 'Patriot way'.

The days of filling roster spots with JAGs and winning with them is over,teams have taken that away from us....Someone tell our genius of a Head Coach this because its killing this team,I think BB continues to stockpile picks and look ahead while meanwhile our HOF QB is getting older and older as these years go on.

You can't continue to have different players all over the roster and win....continuity usually equals success,having multiple new unproven or aged players whose best days are long gone every year is hurting the team.

Belichick is living in the past,now its time to try and keep your top players without screwing up the cap too bad.

Teams like the Colts continue to win 11 or more games easily every year yet keep the nucleus of great players on its roster,its apparently getting much harder on the Patriots these past 4 years to do the same.

Last edited:
How many times will Belichick let guys like Asante,Seymour,Gaffney walk away and expect his team to remain competive year in and year out?

The days of filling roster spots with JAGs and winning with them is over,teams have taken that away from us....Someone tell our genius of a Head Coach this because its killing this team.

You can't continue to have different players all ove rthe roste rand win....continuity usually equals success

Belichick is living in the past,now its time to try and keepyour top players without screwing up the cap too bad.

Teams like the Colts continue to win 11 or more games easily every year,its apparently getting much harder on the Patriots these past 4 years.

The Patriots have won 11, 16 and 11 games in the past 3 seasons, and could still win 11 again this season.

Its a tough one, but I would say Seymour. If anything, his presence helped the Pats. When teams game planned for the Pats, Seymour was more then likely their #1 priority. He may not have been as strong as a force as he once was, but he still commanded double blockers and he was still somewhat disruptive. At least he could get come type of pressure, and a good ammount of the times he was taking up two blockers. Green, Wright, Pryor, Burgess, any of these guys were supposed to take up some of the production we lost with Seymour. They are not even coming close to getting it down while facing one blocker. That makes a huge difference. Getting some production/pressure while taking on two blockers to getting no pressure while facing one blocker.

What makes it tough is that I agree with the trade. Seymour had lost a step, and I honestly feel the Pats were not going to re-sign him. And after seeing how Seymour handled contract negotiations in the past, if the Pats did want him back, he was going to make it very difficult. The Pats got a pick that could and shuold be in the top 10 of the draft. And a pick that hopefully will be on a salary cap for rookies.

Last edited:
despite his loss...... did you like the brilliant business move w/ all attributes considered? Seymour was and is still getting older. We cashed in on an asset we would not have resigned. and he is way out of his prime.

Well, the question was who are we missing more. I do agree there was a lot of value in the trade, but we do miss Seymour this year.

The Patriots have won 11, 16 and 11 games in the past 3 seasons, and could still win 11 again this season.

While that is true its obvious to most of us fans that this teams talent in general is fading away little by little with the losses of top notch players to either retirement or more so for cap issues and sent away so the team can look ahead...looking ahead is now setting back the possibility of more success in the Brady era which is only going to be hanging around for about 3 or 4 more years at best IMO - the time for winning with this type of once in a lifetime QB is NOW....Not worrying about 3 years from now.

I don't want to see another version of the 1990-91 Patriots anytime soon but I have to admit that yesterday's game reminded me of those very years when the team pulled losses out of wins often.

Last edited:
Have they been in a position to get open or make plays?

Maybe you can blame Brady for not seeing them open if they ever get open or for O'Brien not using them more, but from what I see they suck big time.

Blocking is a big assignment for them in running plays but all good teams usually have a TE you have to game plan for in regards to being another receiving threat to defend against...our TEs are a joke in that department.

We have so many needs in the offseason I don't know where to begin,you would think this team is 0-12 for how many holes they have all over the roster.

Do not think that they have been calling plays the favor them, imo there is too much focus on Welker and then Moss.. there are other options to make this O less predictable...

As far as blocking goes, do you have any evidence of that..

FYI the glass is half full, probably about 80% fulll..

Seymour, and it isn't even close. With him, the right side of the defensive line took up two blockers which would allow the linebacker on that side to be more effective in pass rushing or run containment (since they weren't getting blocked out of the play). He was also our leading sacker last season in spite of all of the above.

Gaffney could have been more easily replaced. However, to this point, he hasn't been.

We're missing Gaffney a ton, but he's replaceable (we just haven't done a good job of it). Seymour isn't.

Last edited:
We're missing Gaffney a ton, but he's replaceable (we just haven't done a good job of it). Seymour isn't.

This. When Edelman was healthy, his production as a WR4 was enough to offset much of the loss of Gaffney as a WR3.

#93 hands-down.

Not having Gaffney shouldn't have that much of an effect. Back in 2006 Brady's targets were Reche Caldwell, a 35 year old Troy Brown and Doug freakin' Gabriel. Doug Gabriel was the 3rd wr and Brady was able to work with him without the help of Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

The Patriots didn't seem to suffer that much when Richard Seymour used to miss games with Jarvis Green substituting.

I think it's a collective group of lots of small losses that are affecting this team all around. Linebacker depth, veteran leaders, coaches ect.

Anyway though to answer the question I would say that the pass rush is this teams biggest weakness so I would say the Seymour loss is hurting us more.

Bill Belichick's immediate smart decision making process.

Last edited:
Jabar Gaffney or Richard Seymour? Are you serious?

wow this is hard to pick the the #3 WR who was realy the 4th option in back of Wes Welker, randy moss, and Faulk. or the all pro DE who to pick...... who to pick

i guess ill go with seymour :cool:

Last edited:
I say Gaffney is the bigger loss...this team has NO ONE outside of Welker and Moss for defenses to worry about and the 3 man rush is going to probably be what defenses send the next 4 games because its a blueprint to beat the Patriots by putting that extra man in the slot to take care of Welker now.

I think Jarvis Green and Mike Wright and even Pryor have played decent in place of Sey,While they are not anything near or like the threat Seymour offered opposing offensives,I think the loss of a talent a 3rd WR is killing this team and punishing Brady with no weapons to look for except 2 guys and a VERY predictable offense that may get shut down most of december.

The fact that Baker and Watson are HORRIBLE receivers as TEs this year is not helping any.
Very idiotic. We rank 30th in amount of passes thrown to them. Watson had two TD's against the Bills in the 4th quarter, without him, we're 6-6 and right where the Pittsbugh Steelers are right now. We rarely throw to them and they're actually good TE's with good hands. Get your facts straight and watch some football buddy.

Very idiotic. We rank 30th in amount of passes thrown to them. Watson had two TD's against the Bills in the 4th quarter, without him, we're 6-6 and right where the Pittsbugh Steelers are right now. We rarely throw to them and they're actually good TE's with good hands. Get your facts straight and watch some football buddy.

Yeah Watson has ALWAYS been great hands in the clutch :rolleyes:,I guess you fell asleep with all those drops over the years ...please troll just (Please be quiet - edited),So he had a few good games early big deal,where is he now?.

Yeah Chris Baker has GREAT hands...Just look at his Jets stats,he's just fantastic,why would they let such a prize go?? :rolleyes:

A tight end is a must in the mid-late rounds of the next draft

Dave Thomas is in a well organized offense right now and he is flourishing for the first time in his career,You have to wonder if this offense was in synch if he would have been as useful as he is right now in N.O.

Last edited:
Yeah Watson has ALWAYS been great hands in the clutch :rolleyes:,I guess you fell asleep with all those drops over the years ...please troll just (Please be quiet - edited),So he had a few good games early big deal,where is he now?.

Yeah Chris Baker has GREAT hands...Just look at his Jets stats,he's just fantastic,why would they let such a prize go?? :rolleyes:

A tight end is a must in the mid-late rounds of the next draft

Dave Thomas is in a well organized offense right now and he is flourishing for the first time in his career,You have to wonder if this offense was in synch if he would have been as useful as he is right now in N.O.

I had a bigger problem with you saying that Wright, Pryor, etc. had done a good job filling Seymour's shoes. They really haven't. Even in his lesser years, Seymour got significant push on every play.

My struggle with the Seymour trade is that Belichick was knowingly lessened our chances of being contenders this year in order to get value for the player, a value that is apparently more than the player's presence on the roster for this season. I understand the need for value, but at the same time, everyone knew we weren't going to resign Seymour since 2005, and we still weren't ready for his departure.

The mo fo we pick in 2011 better be a combination of Lawrence Taylor, Moses, Jesus, and Zeus.

The other thing is that Belichick does everything on a whim now. Challenge random plays, go for it randomly, trade random players, trade for random players. It looks more and more like me playing Madden, except he can't restart a Franchise when signing people to back-heavy contracts comes back to bite him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back