PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who are we missing more? - Gaffney or Seymour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Watson has ALWAYS been great hands in the clutch :rolleyes:,I guess you fell asleep with all those drops over the years ...please troll just (Please be quiet - edited),So he had a few good games early big deal,where is he now?.

Yeah Chris Baker has GREAT hands...Just look at his Jets stats,he's just fantastic,why would they let such a prize go?? :rolleyes:

A tight end is a must in the mid-late rounds of the next draft

Dave Thomas is in a well organized offense right now and he is flourishing for the first time in his career,You have to wonder if this offense was in synch if he would have been as useful as he is right now in N.O.

You continue to post the most idiotic stuff on this board hands down.

Going with Gaffney, Sam Aiken does not scare anybody... Seymour granted cause some double teams, but he also took some plays off as well.. And the Pats made a buisness decesion, to go with young inexperienced players on D than Vets that were not going to be here ...

Gaffney, the defence is playing well enough to win.

:eek:

What defense have you been watching?
Its good enough to win these games we've been losing if the offense scored what they should be capable of. All we needed Sunday was a field goal. Against Indy a field goal.

Last edited:
Its good enough to win these games we've been losing if the offense scored what they should be capable of. All we needed Sunday was a field goal. Against Indy a field goal.

Against the Dolphins, they allowed Chad Henne (the guy that doesn't have any receivers) to lead his team back from being down 14 at one point and throw for over 350 yards and 2 TDs. There have been posters on here and people in sports media that analyzed the Dolphins loss and said that, at times, Henne had between 8-10 seconds to throw the ball. And you're saying that the offense was the only reason for the loss against the Colts because they weren't capable of putting up three points shy of 40? With that, you're basically saying, "the defense did a good job because it held the Colts offense to 35 points". Should I even bring up the Saints game? Did the defense do enough to win that one? How about the two 90+ yard drives against the Broncos... on top of not even being a threat to touch the quarterback on the game winning drive in overtime? How about giving up over 1,000 yards in the last two weeks against the Dolphins and the Saints?

Sorry. The defense is not playing good enough to win. If they were, we'd be winning. A lot of people forget that the Pats offense used to struggle at times to even score 17-20 points. We won the Super Bowl in those years. What was the difference? Back then, the defense was playing well enough to win. Nowadays? Not so much.

IMHO, we are missing Vrabel and Harrison more. They helped with the pass rush.....

The defense hasn't been ideal, but they've still played well enough for us to win in every loss except NO and arguably Indy. The offense got a total of zero points out of two critical trips to the red zone. Who are we, the redskins?

Has to be Seymour here. The lack of pass rush on this team is one of the worst I have seen not only out of a Patriots team, but out of any team. We have a total of 20 sacks, which lower then the Lions at 21, and the Browns and Tampa bay with 24, the three worst defenses in the league. Seymour had 8 sacks last season and really helped the rest of the D-line be able to put effective pressure on the QB. This has hurt us big time.

The replacements for Seymour Jarvis Green and and Derrick Burgess have put a grand total of two sacks between them. Seymour has put up 4 himself in Oakland, and really having a good season out there in Oakland.

As far as the Gafffeny goes, I don't believe it has hurt us that much:

Gafffney: 29 Catches 384 Yards 0 TD

Aiken" 17 catches 310 Yards 2 TD

So there isn't that much of a drop out between the two. I think it has hurt a little, but not nearly as much as the loss of Seymour.

Gaffney is missed more than Seymour and I believe that Defense wins games but even last season with Seymour we still lacked a pass rush.

How many times will Belichick let guys like Asante,Seymour,Gaffney walk away and expect his team to remain competitive year in and year out? - This is NOT 2003 or 2004 ANYMORE,Teams FOs are getting smarter and doing it the old 'Patriot way'.

The days of filling roster spots with JAGs and winning with them is over,teams have taken that away from us....Someone tell our genius of a Head Coach this because its killing this team,I think BB continues to stockpile picks and look ahead while meanwhile our HOF QB is getting older and older as these years go on.

You do realize that the Patriots spend to the salary cap every year and that they can't just keep these players without significantly cutting back on other players. So ranting about who leaves (primarily due to money issues) without at least acknowledging (and ideally addressing) the flip side of who to not pay is armchair personnel management at its worst.

Yes and no. We lacked a pass rush in general, but our pass rush sucked for different reasons.

Last year, our pass rush sucked because our secondary sucked. I hope that no one is going to argue that Bodden and Wilhite/ Butler is a worse combination than Delta O'Neal and Ellis Hobbs. We had to commit more to coverage or we were going to get torched, and we did get torched because we either committed numbers to the blitz or dropped back and watched our secondary get mauled anyway.

While our secondary is not perfect this year, it is far better than it was last year. Our pass rush is non-existent this year because we suck in the front seven. We would see a lot of people busting through protection if we have Seymour because that's two guys who command double teams on a regular basis. If we win the battle on the front line more often, suckers like Banta-Cain, Burgess, and Woods get free more often. Only Banta-Cain ever beats his man these days.

Enlighten us with your professional opinion... Moron

He has a point. This might be the dumbest premise that I've ever seen for a thread that wasn't being intentionally inflammatory/overreacting/in-the-heat-of-the-moment. It's not as bad as Trade Brady, because the starting point isn't quite as crazy (Seymour < Brady), but the Gaffney comparison puts it right up there.

Gaffney is a good WR, and I was very worried when we let him walk (and I said as much several times on this board). He's a guy with pretty good hands who runs good routes, though- there are a lot of those guys in the NFL. To whatever extent we're missing him, it's more because we tried to replace him with Joey Galloway, Isaiah Stanback, Sam Aiken, Julian Edelman, and Brandon Tate than due to him being an exceptional player. We haven't replaced Seymour, OTOH, because Seymour can't be replaced. There are maybe 3 or 4 players in the NFL who can do what he does.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey