PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which team will acquire the 28th pick for a quarterback?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2) I think that Carolina should try to trade out of #1 to 2, 3, 4 or even 5. They don't need to get full chart value. For example, I think that they would be much better off with #4 plus a 2nd.

I think Carolina should definitely try to trade the #1 pick. Let's face it Newton is NOT half the QB Luck is and unfortunately Luck is NOT in this draft.

So why not let someone else draft the next Kyle Boller and if your Carolina pick up a couple of desperately needed players instead.

Succession Planning is a very good idea, and I think Dalton would be a great fit for them, or us, assuming they didnt reach for him.
There's another factor to consider, both Kaepernick and Dalton are part of the Manning brothers' Passing Camp. Polian & Co. may be checking them out on Peyton's recommendation or, in an effort to create some smoke where they might not like the top OT/DL prospects expected to fall that far, they are hoping to trade out of round one and grab a Carpenter or Ijalana or Rackley, and they are using a couple of kids PeyPey coached to boost his camp's image.

Seriously, great point about the Panthers putting pressure on themselves (complicated by what the former coach did in the previous draft, but that's almost always the case, it seems). From my perspective, the rational "pure football" move would be to say "screw this" and take Dareus to start building a defense that can actually help a new QB, or to trade down at a steep discount to get a 2nd rounder and more. Seems likely that either way, they'll be picking fairly high again in 2012 (if there IS a 2012 draft). Probably their worst fate would be to draft a QB that wins just enough games to take them out of the top ten for the next draft or two or three and really never gets any better.

OTOH, Cam Newton may not be all that bad for them, in the short and long run. I'm not saying he has the same level of talent that Vick has, but his running ability does offer similar tactical advantages to a team that already has a decent running game. And, I think he may be slightly closer to developing into an adequate drop-back passer than a lot of people appear to assume - maybe closer than Vick was when he was drafted. Newton could create just enough spark to re-vitalize the offense a bit right away and to make it competitive in coming years IF he actually develops well (same with any QB) and IF the FO actually builds a decent team around him. Most important from an ownership perspective, a Cam Newton will likely put more fannies in the seats than a Marcell Dareus will.

Thank you!

My feeling is, what do you do if Newton is unsuccessful for Carolina in the short term. What then? See, Carolina put themselves in this situation also by foolishly trading away their second round pick to New England for this year, last year. Imagine if they'd the first pick in the second round now. They could afford to trade down and select a quarterback with that pick in the second round. Basically, you would select the best available defensive player with the first round pick you'd acquired via trading down from the first overall pick. However, I doubt Denver would budge from the second overall pick but you might convince a team drafting after the first five picks if Cincinnati or Arizona decline. That is, if at least one other team is high on Newton or Dareus.

The Patriots couldn't be in a better spot. There could be three second-round-caliber passers (Andy Dalton, Christian Ponder, Colin Kaepernick) available after day one, and a fourth if Ryan Mallett gets past Seattle at 25. Of course, teams could also trade up to the late first round too. New England is in prime position there, also, with the 28th overall choice.

On the universal draft-pick trade chart, invented a generation ago to standardize what value teams assign to each pick (though it's not gospel; some teams barely glance at it), the 28th pick is worth 660 points, and the 33rd pick worth 580 points. Teams trading for a pick in the following draft usually ascribe a choice one round higher to be fair. (Thus the Patriots' deal of a 2010 third-rounder for Carolina's second-rounder in 2011. Sometimes teams get lucky; New England moved up, as it turns out, 57 slots by making that deal a year ago.)

But the Patriots could successfully argue -- I believe -- that the 33rd pick is worth more than a 2012 first-rounder this year. The primary reason is they could have more than one bidder for the pick, because of the paucity of quarterback prospects and the need of more than one team by the time round one ends. Let's say the 49ers are desperate to move up for Dalton. The 49ers, picking 45th, might have to slip the Patriots extra value beyond what the trade chart says to move those 12 slots. Perhaps a first-rounder in 2012 and, say, a third- or fourth- this year. If they don't do it, some other team might.

Carolina Panthers request junior college tape on Cam Newton - Peter King - SI.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST