PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which players on the current roster are in a MUST PROVE themselves this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right... my list

I think you nailed it with Maroney.

Watson too.

I personally believe Ellis Hobbs has already proved it, but I am in a HUGE minority there.

Maybe James Sanders. Rodney will likely be gone, so it will be a big year for him to see if he can step up and really become a leader.

In terms of recent acquisitions, Leigh Bodden and Greg Lewis come to mind.

On the offensive line, I think Logan Mankins must prove he is at his 2007 level to get a nice new contract.

Right... my list

Watson too.

I personally believe Ellis Hobbs has already proved it, but I am in a HUGE minority there.

Maybe James Sanders. Rodney will likely be gone, so it will be a big year for him to see if he can step up and really become a leader.

On the offensive line, I think Logan Mankins must prove he is at his 2007 level to get a nice new contract.

I would put Kaczur on the list before Mankins,even light can't handle most elite pass rushers so he is not exactly a lock himself.

I agree. I think Maroney and Watson need to really step it up this year.

i would put Maroney too

let's hope he will have a positive year

i wish him that

I'm thinking this Brady kid really needs to show us something or it is time to cut ties with the bum.

But seriously, I agree that anyone in a contract year. I think it is a make or break year for Maroney.

What the hell? Mankins is the best player on the line.

As to Maroney, hes been very good, he just hasn't been on the field. That, and hes still cheaper to keep than let go. Hes not going anywhere.

Maroney of course.

1236681958_hammer-time.gif

If he doesn't make it in football, perhaps Maroney can do dancing with the stars.

Last edited:
There are to my mind a number that must...
Maroney...Must show he's is less fragile and can split time with an inside back...a Maroney/Morris/Taylor combo would really be bnice to have.
Watson and Thomas...Ben has not been that big time receiver and a threat.Wya too many dropped balls. Thomas was suppose to be a go to guy, but has only shown flashes. Much more consistenncy.
Kaczur...He's going to have to step it up as they will have others competing for his spot on the right side.
Green...He can be dominant at times rushing an dmake the key plays, but had an off season last year. Will be interesting to see how he does this year..better or a step downward.
LSmith...He's just stepping up and getting playing time, but being the 6th in a tough grouping means he either has to take a big step up or be in heavy competition.
Guyton, Redd, Woods, Alexander, Crable and Ruud. Out of these six, a few need to step up and show that they can be starters. Redd has a lot of potential and might be a year or two from that. With him, if he progresses a lot he will stay. Guyton ight be a tweener, so he'll need to establish which LB position is best for him and to improve. Crable needs to stay
healthy and show that he can develop...same as Redd. Ruud needs to show something on Special Teams. Alexander might show that he can be a backup ILB, but if not, he'll need to be a top special teams player. Woods needs to step up to possibly a starter and/or continue to be a top Specail teams player.
Richardson needs to battle last years rookies and stay ahead of them and to play some solid special teams.
TWilliams needs to stay healthy and play that tough safety/linebacker like he started to in training camp.
I am sure there are other fringe players that must step up..but I thought I would mention a few of the important ones.

Right... my list

Watson too.

Watson, Thomas, Maroney, Hobbs and Sanders in no set order.
DW Toys

Watson, Thomas, Maroney, Hobbs and Sanders in no set order.
DW Toys

If Sanders was not on your list I would have keeled over in my chair ;)

At least you gave him a little respect by having him last on those selections ;)

There are to my mind a number that must...
Maroney...Must show he's is less fragile and can split time with an inside back...a Maroney/Morris/Taylor combo would really be bnice to have.
Watson and Thomas...Ben has not been that big time receiver and a threat.Wya too many dropped balls. Thomas was suppose to be a go to guy, but has only shown flashes. Much more consistenncy.
Kaczur...He's going to have to step it up as they will have others competing for his spot on the right side.
Green...He can be dominant at times rushing an dmake the key plays, but had an off season last year. Will be interesting to see how he does this year..better or a step downward.
LSmith...He's just stepping up and getting playing time, but being the 6th in a tough grouping means he either has to take a big step up or be in heavy competition.
Guyton, Redd, Woods, Alexander, Crable and Ruud. Out of these six, a few need to step up and show that they can be starters. Redd has a lot of potential and might be a year or two from that. With him, if he progresses a lot he will stay. Guyton ight be a tweener, so he'll need to establish which LB position is best for him and to improve. Crable needs to stay
healthy and show that he can develop...same as Redd. Ruud needs to show something on Special Teams. Alexander might show that he can be a backup ILB, but if not, he'll need to be a top special teams player. Woods needs to step up to possibly a starter and/or continue to be a top Specail teams player.
Richardson needs to battle last years rookies and stay ahead of them and to play some solid special teams.
TWilliams needs to stay healthy and play that tough safety/linebacker like he started to in training camp.
I am sure there are other fringe players that must step up..but I thought I would mention a few of the important ones.

The coaching staff needs to step it up also....!
The grounds crew should be put on a short leash!
Ball-boys can be upgraded!

No offense, Pats726........just ribbing you for the incredible detail!

The main guy is Maroney I think...

In my opinion I don't see what Hobbs has to prove. What you see is what you get with Ellis. He's not a #1 CB but he's a decent player to have, he doesn't hide and he doesn't quit. We've all seen his level of play and like I say, to me he's what you see is what you get and you either rate him or you don't.

The main guy is Maroney I think...

In my opinion I don't see what Hobbs has to prove. What you see is what you get with Ellis. He's not a #1 CB but he's a decent player to have, he doesn't hide and he doesn't quit. We've all seen his level of play and like I say, to me he's what you see is what you get and you either rate him or you don't.

Like I have said numerous times is that Hobbs liability is that he tends to commit pass interference more often than most CBs I have seen play here in the past few years and some of those came in crucial situations.

Every CB except the two sophomores.
Every safety except Sanders and Meriweather.
Every LB except Thomas, Mayo, and Guyton. (Even Bruschi.)
L. Smith
Every TE
Every WR except Moss and Welker
Every QB except Brady
Every RB except Faulk, and at his age he's automatically on watch for signs of decline
I'm not so sure about the OL

Did I miss anybody? :)

Maroney is our #4 RB and doesn't need to do much to justify his value as a #4 RB. He is paid as the #4. I would like to him return kicks. I would think that he will remain on the team through 2010 barring another major injury, even with much less production than the top three.

As others posted, every player in his contract year has something to prove.

Last year's rookies would like to prove their worth, but they have at least through their 3rd preseason. Some like Redd and Ruud may not even get much of a chance.

Every CB except the two sophomores.
Every safety except Sanders and Meriweather.
Every LB except Thomas, Mayo, and Guyton. (Even Bruschi.)
L. Smith
Every TE
Every WR except Moss and Welker
Every QB except Brady
Every RB except Faulk, and at his age he's automatically on watch for signs of decline
I'm not so sure about the OL

Did I miss anybody? :)

The Punter and Long Snapper are no locks to make it either ;)

Hmmmm..... reading these posts, only one thing really comes to mind:

Matt Cassel sucks and they need to cut him before training camp even ends!

Maroney is productive when he is healthy. Plus he has two years left on a contract that is cap-friendly. He's not going anywhere after this season. Well, unless he ends up committing a felony.

For me, Ellis and Bodden are fighting for that one big CB contract up for grabs. I think either Wilhite or Wheatley will take over one of the starting CB spots at the end of this year and that leaves the other spot open for competition. It is possible that Wilhite AND Wheatley become our two starters, but I doubt that will happen. Ellis or BOdden, one of them will be one of our starting CB for the next five years. We won't give two somewhat big contracts to both.

Watson needs to prove it too. If he doesn't, Baker is still somewhat young and can become the 3-down TE that we need. Thomas, IMO is a better pass catching TE than Watson and will provide the other TE.

Also, Seymour will be out there to prove it too. Not just for the Patriots, but for his next upcoming contract. You know he wants to get paid big money so he will come with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft