PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which players on the current roster are in a MUST PROVE themselves this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, Ellis and Bodden are fighting for that one big CB contract up for grabs. I think either Wilhite or Wheatley will take over one of the starting CB spots at the end of this year and that leaves the other spot open for competition. It is possible that Wilhite AND Wheatley become our two starters, but I doubt that will happen. Ellis or BOdden, one of them will be one of our starting CB for the next five years. We won't give two somewhat big contracts to both.

That's an interesting argument. I'm not sure I agree with it, necessarily, but I can definitely understand the thinking process, and it's something I think I'll mull over a bit. With both Hobbs and Bodden essentially on 1 year deals right now, they could very well be battling to see who gets the 'big' offer. I haven't looked at Springs' contract enough to know if it's really a one year deal or not, practically speaking, and I don't buy the Wilhite cracking the starting rotation, but I could see it being 3 to get 2 as far as Hobbs, Wheatley and Bodden go.

Last edited:
As it appears right now,Maroney probably would need 2 seasons to get to the 1,000 yards plateau,In NE,Denver or elsewhere - Maybe 3 seasons if he breaks or twists any more glass ;)

In '07, including the postseason, Maroney played 16 games and ran for over 1100 yards and 9 TDs. So give the man some slack. He does have something to prove this year, no question.

The other guys I'd put up there are Bodden and Sanders. They'll determine how good this defense is. Hobbs was our best DB last year, so I don't think he has to prove a whole lot.

I guess you also have to put Pierre Woods in that category. He's penciled in as a starter at OLB and will most likely be a major contributor no matter what.

Also, Seymour will be out there to prove it too. Not just for the Patriots, but for his next upcoming contract. You know he wants to get paid big money so he will come with it.

Completely agree on Seymour. He hasn't played up to his contract over the last 3 years. I know he's been injured, but I guess that just puts him in the same category as Maroney.

[/b]

The Punter and Long Snapper are no locks to make it either ;)

Crumb! I almosted start the post with them!

(Seriously. Then I thought that was stupid, left them for the end, and forgot them ...)

In '07, including the postseason, Maroney played 16 games and ran for over 1100 yards and 9 TDs. So give the man some slack. He does have something to prove this year, no question.

The other guys I'd put up there are Bodden and Sanders. They'll determine how good this defense is. Hobbs was our best DB last year, so I don't think he has to prove a whole lot.

I guess you also have to put Pierre Woods in that category. He's penciled in as a starter at OLB and will most likely be a major contributor no matter what.

I can get behind these well-thought out sentiments.....

Why Watson? He's an average TE with average hands and blocking skills and good speed that does what he's told. I know everyone wants him to live up to his glamorous draft position with some big receiving numbers, but there are players drafted high that don't get past their 2nd year. For the cost Watson has value. The team can't have a pricey star at every position and the way the Pats utilize their TEs, Watson is fine and in my book has nothing to prove. What you see is what you get. At the right price I'm good with it.

I see Woods having to prove a lot this year. This is a good opportunity for him. Let's hope he nails it.

If Sanders was not on your list I would have keeled over in my chair ;)

At least you gave him a little respect by having him last on those selections ;)

Come on I am not that good. "No set order".
DW Toys

Every CB except the two sophomores.
Every safety except Sanders and Meriweather.
Every LB except Thomas, Mayo, and Guyton. (Even Bruschi.)
L. Smith
Every TE
Every WR except Moss and Welker
Every QB except Brady
Every RB except Faulk, and at his age he's automatically on watch for signs of decline
I'm not so sure about the OL

Did I miss anybody? :)

Sanders. See cousin FANINPA
DW Toys

Hmmmm..... reading these posts, only one thing really comes to mind:

Matt Cassel sucks and they need to cut him before training camp even ends!

I admit. I was one of those anal pores. I suppose to justify that I would say.......... it just took us a little longer to get rid of him?
DW Toys

What the hell? Mankins is the best player on the line.

As to Maroney, hes been very good, he just hasn't been on the field. That, and hes still cheaper to keep than let go. Hes not going anywhere.

Yeah, Mankins is the best player on the line. But he had arguably his worst season in 2008, and is in a contract year. So if he wants that huge $40 or $50 million contract, he needs to prove that he is consistently one of the best guards in football by having another monster year in 2009.

Why Watson? He's an average TE with average hands and blocking skills and good speed that does what he's told. I know everyone wants him to live up to his glamorous draft position with some big receiving numbers, but there are players drafted high that don't get past their 2nd year. For the cost Watson has value. The team can't have a pricey star at every position and the way the Pats utilize their TEs, Watson is fine and in my book has nothing to prove. What you see is what you get. At the right price I'm good with it.

I see Woods having to prove a lot this year. This is a good opportunity for him. Let's hope he nails it.

Watson is not been the player the Pats thought they were getting. he is a decent blocking TE, nothing more. His drops and tipped passes have been disheartening and have cost the team. Baker was picked up for a reason. Without question, they will also draft a TE. Thomas is in the same boat. I understand your comment about the price of the star player. Good point, but I would be happy with a rookie TE who could make some plays. We thought that of Watson when he was drafted. We all have to agree that is not the case.

I would not be surprised if we lowball him like some FA players this year, and hope he does comeback at our price but it won't be disappointing if he doesn't because that is all he is worth to the organization. If they resign him to a deal before the FA date is the key that they really want him back.
DW Toys

Richard Seymour and his CAP hit

Per Miguel - Yikes !!!!

"April 13, 2006 update Adamjt13 reported on the PatsFans.Com messageboard - "The "extension" is for only three more years past 2006. Seymour got a renegotiation bonus of $5.34 million, prorated at $1,335,000 per season. He also got a workout bonus of $100,000 in addition to his standard $6,160 workout bonus. His $585,000 base salary, plus his $1,335,000 prorated bonus and $100,000 additional workout bonus add up to $2.02 million -- exactly what his salary would have been, which is why his cap number is the same.Next year, Seymour is due an option bonus of $18.66 million. If the option is not exercised, Seymour will become a free agent in 2008, and his 2007 base salary becomes $19.26 million AND is guaranteed. He has workout bonuses of $106,720 each season from 2007 through 2009.His cap numbers each season will be $4,420,160 in 2006, $8,261,720 in 2007, $8,391,720 in 2008 and $11,346,720 in 2009."

$11,346,720 ?? - For what ? - I think I just threw up in my mouth........

Last edited:
Ben Watson- But truthfully I just want him gone. I can deal with drops its the volleyball serves that get me. Also he is not a very good blocker at all.

Richard Seymour- Our low production star. Actually I fully expect him to have a great year so he can get paid. Bye Bye Richard

David Thomas- This hopefully will be his first healthy year with Brady. I am still very hopeful for him.

Maroney- Our tantric running back. Enough with the foreplay. Hit that damn hole.

Crable- just really curious to see him play

Watson is not been the player the Pats thought they were getting. he is a decent blocking TE, nothing more. His drops and tipped passes have been disheartening and have cost the team. Baker was picked up for a reason. Without question, they will also draft a TE. Thomas is in the same boat. I understand your comment about the price of the star player. Good point, but I would be happy with a rookie TE who could make some plays. We thought that of Watson when he was drafted. We all have to agree that is not the case.

I would not be surprised if we lowball him like some FA players this year, and hope he does comeback at our price but it won't be disappointing if he doesn't because that is all he is worth to the organization. If they resign him to a deal before the FA date is the key that they really want him back.
DW Toys

He may not be what they thought they were getting, but he has developed into a player of value. This offense just doesn't use a receiving TE in a way that will reflect positively in his stats. I don't think he dropped many passes last year. They didn't pass to him much either. If BW is going to be sent out as a receiver more often, we'd better be ready to see a few more sacks and hurries on Brady. Watson's duties are in this order, pass blocking, run blocking, and receiving. For Brady pass blocking is the most important and Watson is finally getting the hang of it. I'd be nervous placing the franchise in the hands of a rookie TE. OTOH, maybe I just like Watson. ;)

Richard Seymour and his CAP hit

Per Miguel - Yikes !!!!

"April 13, 2006 update Adamjt13 reported on the PatsFans.Com messageboard - "The "extension" is for only three more years past 2006. Seymour got a renegotiation bonus of $5.34 million, prorated at $1,335,000 per season. He also got a workout bonus of $100,000 in addition to his standard $6,160 workout bonus. His $585,000 base salary, plus his $1,335,000 prorated bonus and $100,000 additional workout bonus add up to $2.02 million -- exactly what his salary would have been, which is why his cap number is the same.Next year, Seymour is due an option bonus of $18.66 million. If the option is not exercised, Seymour will become a free agent in 2008, and his 2007 base salary becomes $19.26 million AND is guaranteed. He has workout bonuses of $106,720 each season from 2007 through 2009.His cap numbers each season will be $4,420,160 in 2006, $8,261,720 in 2007, $8,391,720 in 2008 and $11,346,720 in 2009."

$11,346,720 ?? - For what ? - I think I just threw up in my mouth........
Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2009 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

That was from three years ago; Seymour's cap number for 2009 is now $9,792,280.
But if he is cut or traded the Pats save only $3,331,720 against the cap.

Seymour earned a big contract by playing at a very high level; at the time he was arguably the best DE in the NFL. The contract made sense at the time in my opinion. He's still a very good player and very important to the team's success. Sure, it looks like too much money now, but we may as well be ripping Mike Vrabel or Chad Jackson for the $1,585,168 in cap space they're taking up this year.

Seymour earned a big contract by playing at a very high level; at the time he was arguably the best DE in the NFL.

What Seymour did and you think he earned in his early years have no bearing on his current numbers being justified at all. I can't think of any DLineman right now in the NFL with a higher 2009 CAP hit, if you do know, let me know.

He may not be what they thought they were getting, but he has developed into a player of value. This offense just doesn't use a receiving TE in a way that will reflect positively in his stats. I don't think he dropped many passes last year. They didn't pass to him much either. If BW is going to be sent out as a receiver more often, we'd better be ready to see a few more sacks and hurries on Brady. Watson's duties are in this order, pass blocking, run blocking, and receiving. For Brady pass blocking is the most important and Watson is finally getting the hang of it. I'd be nervous placing the franchise in the hands of a rookie TE. OTOH, maybe I just like Watson. ;)

Some decent points. Fair enough. He is your guy.
DW Toys

Including the postseason?

Give me a fricking break

I want to see 1,000 yards AT LEAST ONCE AND IN 16 REGULAR SEASON GAMES ... Thats what counts

Why dont you just include the yards he has in scrimmage against the Patriots B team while you are at it :rolleyes:

DW Toys

Yeah, like what they did with Randy...LOL

The franchise tag for safety (league top 5) this season was $6.3M. The transisiton tag (top ten) was $5.1. Sanders was offered more elsewhere but re-signed here for $3M per because somebody who knows a lot more about the game and his value on this team told him he was valued here... PS. When they signed Rodney to his deal it was for 6 years $14.65M (although I believe he got a little less as they asked him to take a $700K pay cut after his second injury season.) No one expected at the time he would make it to the end of that deal. Over the first 3 years he averaged just over $2M. In 2008 he finally saw $3M.

Sanders was apparently in a must prove himself season last season and you simply missed him proving it to the only guy whose opinion matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back