PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who gets the pink slip in camp/preseason this year that no one expects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some actual numbers:

Green for instance gets you $2,040M - can you get a BB trained DE that is better for that sort of money?

Watson gets you $449k, he sucks, but at that price, he's pretty good.

David Thomas sucks but only gets you $74,440 if you chop him.

Kaczur - gets you $1,809,440

Bruschi - $1,440,000 (please retire or take a buy out)

Neal - $2,039k (he's the OL I can see getting it)

several folks will get - some Pats vets, and some of the new signings, happens every year.

How about a guy that simply "doesn't get it" and has trouble figuring out what he's supposed to do (remember Donald Hayes)? Under other circumstances I would say Brandon Tate might be the guy most likely to fit that category, but even if that is the case he'll just go on IR. Hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone on this roster, but if it does I would guess Greg Lewis would be the most likely; didn't he talk about how much he had to learn and hint at how difficult it was to learn this system during OTA?

Not cut...but traded.....

Vince Wilfork gets traded between the 3rd and 4th preseason game after a strong showing by Brace and lingering complaints about not having a new contract.

Not cut...but traded.....

Vince Wilfork gets traded between the 3rd and 4th preseason game after a strong showing by Brace and lingering complaints about not having a new contract.
I would think Mike Wright would start over Brace even if Brace plays light out and Wilfork did get traded,Wright would be my choice until Brace was slowly blended in.

I would trade Wilfork for a decent named linebacker,I don't think him traded would kill the defense,hurt it but not kill it.

Last edited:
Here are some actual numbers:

Green for instance gets you $2,040M - can you get a BB trained DE that is better for that sort of money?

Kaczur - gets you $1,809,440

Bruschi - $1,440,000 (please retire or take a buy out)

Neal - $2,039k (he's the OL I can see getting it)

several folks will get - some Pats vets, and some of the new signings, happens every year.
While I agree that every year players do get cut for cap reasons, how many have been cut by the Pats for cap reasons during training camp since Lawyer Milloy? When the Pats cut Milloy, they were in a bad cap position and had to do something before the start of week one; that's not the case this year. At this point in time the most pressing need for cap space would be to extend Wilfork (or Seymour.) Cutting one of those players for the cap savings won't clear enough space to get it done. If cutting all of those players to free up cap space is what it will take to extend Wilfork, wouldn't the Pats be better off taking their chances on negotiations after the end of the season knowing they can franchise one of those players?

That Brady kid is extraneous to the team's needs.

If the Pats were to be looking for cap space for some reason, sacrilege as it may sound here is a name: Kevin Faulk. He has a $2.9 million salary plus another $500k if he's on the week one roster, so that's $3.4 million in cap savings if he's cut. Not saying I want that to happen or think it will, but if the Pats do end up being in a position that they are looking for extra cap space for some reason, then a 33-year old 3rd down running back that has been hit over 1400 times (runs, catches, returns) in his career could be that surprise cut; there's only so much tread on the tires of any running back and at some point even Kevin Faulk will eventually show wear and tear.

If the Pats were to be looking for cap space for some reason, sacrilege as it may sound here is a name: Kevin Faulk. He has a $2.9 million salary plus another $500k if he's on the week one roster, so that's $3.4 million in cap savings if he's cut. Not saying I want that to happen or think it will, but if the Pats do end up being in a position that they are looking for extra cap space for some reason, then a 33-year old 3rd down running back that has been hit over 1400 times (runs, catches, returns) in his career could be that surprise cut; there's only so much tread on the tires of any running back and at some point even Kevin Faulk will eventually show wear and tear.

Unless you can get Maroney to be the 3rd down back - which is doubtful, they can't afford that move. Next year maybe, not this one.

Koppen gets traded to Chiefs or Broncos for 2010 2nd rounder, before the third preseason game. Ohrenberger starts at center.

My money says Springs gets cut. Why because there is too much young talent on the roster and one or two of them will shine enough to send Springs packing.

My money says Springs gets cut. Why because there is too much young talent on the roster and one or two of them will shine enough to send Springs packing.

Very possible and I agree that between Bodden and Springs,Bodden has the edge to make the roster,not only on age but on size and stature.

Springs is the type of long term veteran player you want the younger guys to learn from but that does not mean he should have a roster spot solely based on that and some agree that its the same for Bruschi.

When Springs was younger this was a no brainer that this team would certainly make him a starter for a long time,now not so sure how long he will remain in NE.

Last edited:
Unless you can get Maroney to be the 3rd down back - which is doubtful, they can't afford that move. Next year maybe, not this one.

If BJGE comes to camp ready to battle and Maroney is still slacking then you could see that happen - Maroney could be traded or cut ala Chad Jackson his buddy from the crap drafting year of 2006.

How about a guy that simply "doesn't get it" and has trouble figuring out what he's supposed to do (remember Donald Hayes)? Under other circumstances I would say Brandon Tate might be the guy most likely to fit that category, but even if that is the case he'll just go on IR. Hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone on this roster, but if it does I would guess Greg Lewis would be the most likely; didn't he talk about how much he had to learn and hint at how difficult it was to learn this system during OTA?

Bad example BB gave Hayes time to figure it out as he did Jackson too....if the player has the tools BB has shown he will give them time to learn.

Although we do have more than enough RBs, and TEs, I think you are right. The 'surprise' cut could be Springs. He gets my vote ;)

Just about every season since BB has been here there is at least one player that had been a shocking surprise cut during camp or at least just prior to week 1

There is more than this but some notables that shocked many in the last decade by getting the axe in camp/preseason include...

Chad Jackson (BBs binky turned out to be a dinky)
Reche Caldwell (because he was leading the team at WR the year before)
Fernando Bryant (Biggest shock in 2008)
Lawyer Milloy (Didn't fit what BB wanted in a team player anymore)

and the list goes on (feel free to add any big names)....

This offseason we have already seen trades resulting in the departing of Eliis Hobbs and Mike Vrabel who virtually everyone penciled both in as week 1 starters this season so BB has had the early jump on shocks for 2009 and I doubt that shocking cuts are over yet.

My guesses as who may be on the bubble on the cutting block who practically no one thinks will are....

Jarvis Green - This would be the top of my shock list but Jarvis's play has declined steadily over the past few years and last year was poor with just 2 sacks unlike he was in his prime,He is 31 and to cut him would knock off 3 Million on the cap - If LeKevin Smith and/or Darryl Richard look really good in camp and preseason,Green may be on his way out.

Nick Kaczur - Probably the only starting OL from 2008 who is not a lock on this roster and O'Callahan,Levoir or even the rookie Vollmer may topple him off the top if Nick stuggles and he could be out the door.

Matt Gutierrez - No one can guarantee this team will keep 3 QBs on the roster and since the defensive side of the ball needs all the depth they can get,I can see QB down to 2 with Edelman and possibly Hoyer on the PS - Brady and O'Connell are in - Gutierrez may have seen his last year in Foxboro.

Paris Lenon - There is very light depth at ILB but Lenon who is coming from an 0-16 team has a lot to learn and prove he is capable of part time play with Bruschi and Co. - He could be this years surprise cut at ILB like Victor Hobson.

Ben Watson and/or David Thomas - Ben has been underachieving since his fantastic rookie season and dropped balls have been his biggest problem,David Thomas was a TE at Texas who had hands of gold and rarily dropped anything thrown his way - In the pros he has struggled to make plays and get on the field -
Alex Smith and Chris Baker were not just signed to fill the TE position - They are both here to finally give Watson and Thomas some serious competition at TE and if either underperforms and Smith and Baker do well then you can probably say goodbye to one of these two before fall arrives.

Two mentionable big longshots who could be cut but probably won't come close to getting axed are Tedy Bruschi and Shawn Springs - Age of these two vets could present problems with all the young talent we have on this team at both ILB and CB - Neither can be penciled in for September IMO.

Anyone I missed who could be surprise cuts? - Who is he and explain why.

I think you've already seen it. Except it wasn't a cut; he was traded instead. Mike Vrabel!! Don't tell me you weren't astonished along with every other fan. Did you forsee that happening?:eek:

Matt Gutierrez - No one can guarantee this team will keep 3 QBs on the roster and since the defensive side of the ball needs all the depth they can get,I can see QB down to 2 with Edelman and possibly Hoyer on the PS - Brady and O'Connell are in - Gutierrez may have seen his last year in Foxboro.

While yes Virginia there are no guarantees; I would say this one is as close to a GUARANTEE as your are going to get.

We are one season away from losing Brady for 15 3/4 games. Every team in the league says what they learned from Ravens game , Giants SB, and week1 last year is the "WAY TO BEAT THE PATS - IS GET TO THE QB".
Also, Pats are walking into this season as the clear odds on favorite. That means same like Miami did last year - every team is going to SAVE THEIR NEW TRICKS (including stunts and pass rushes) JUST FOR US.

Unless some veteran QB who has good familiarity w/ BBs offensive system shows up on other teams roster cut lists (can anybody name one?) Gutierrez pretty much has job security in my book.

I think you've already seen it. Except it wasn't a cut; he was traded instead. Mike Vrabel!! Don't tell me you weren't astonished along with every other fan. Did you forsee that happening?:eek:

I don't think anyone saw it coming, but im sure most of us were kind of happy. Soon (maybe next year) we will have the same emotions for Tedy. :(

hopefully 2 improve our team...btw these wont happen but should

cuts--bruschi, kaczur, lekevin or mike wright,spann, hoyer, yates

mike richardson, edelman

hopefully 2 improve our team...btw these wont happen but should

cuts--bruschi, kaczur, lekevin or mike wright,spann, hoyer, yates
Bruschi should NOT...not this year...which will let him retire..
Kaczur?? IF there are 4 tackles better..could be..but I doubt that is the case...likely..Britt, O'Callaghan FAR more than NicK
LSmith...again..it could happen BUT ONLY if the young ones show they are much better..AND..first year players usually do not make that nig a leap
Wright...THAT I highly doubt considering they just signed him..he is versatile and quick..needed on this DL
Spann...VERY possible his ST play will have to be steallar to stay
Hoyer..PSQDer at best for this year...
Yates..he has a tough road ahead on the inside..will make camp interesting
So really only 3 that are close...the other 4?? 1 or 2 are possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back