PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which players on the current roster are in a MUST PROVE themselves this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard Seymour and his CAP hit

Per Miguel - Yikes !!!!

"April 13, 2006 update Adamjt13 reported on the PatsFans.Com messageboard - "The "extension" is for only three more years past 2006. Seymour got a renegotiation bonus of $5.34 million, prorated at $1,335,000 per season. He also got a workout bonus of $100,000 in addition to his standard $6,160 workout bonus. His $585,000 base salary, plus his $1,335,000 prorated bonus and $100,000 additional workout bonus add up to $2.02 million -- exactly what his salary would have been, which is why his cap number is the same.Next year, Seymour is due an option bonus of $18.66 million. If the option is not exercised, Seymour will become a free agent in 2008, and his 2007 base salary becomes $19.26 million AND is guaranteed. He has workout bonuses of $106,720 each season from 2007 through 2009.His cap numbers each season will be $4,420,160 in 2006, $8,261,720 in 2007, $8,391,720 in 2008 and $11,346,720 in 2009."

$11,346,720 ?? - For what ? - I think I just threw up in my mouth........

Learn to read the page. Seymour's cap hit is $9.79M. Reports on contract terms are usually fluid and change over time to reflect what actually transpires. Freeney signed a 6 year $72M deal with over $30m guaranteed the following year. And promptly landed on IR. His early cap hits were well below average which is the way Polian tends to handle his cap, including $8.8M this season, but they rise rapidly thereafter to $11M in 2010 and $19M in 2012 if there is a cap...similar to the deal he did with Manning. Peppers cap hit last year was over $13M and this year it's over $16M...

Seymour's extension averaged $10M per for the 3 additional years, but he signed it with one year remaining on his rookie deal which was paying him $2-3M per. That allowed the team to pro rate his bonus money from the new deal over 4 seasons so that in effect he averaged $8M per against the cap over the last 4 years. It was a good deal for both sides because it got Seymour a chunk of his big money early, it got us a cap friendly 4 year deal compared to guys like Freeney and Peppers and it meant we didn't have to commit to him beyond this season or guarantee him $30M+ on a longer term deal. Which given his injury history was a substantial benefit. Going forward the team also has additional options open including tagging him for 2010 whether to play or trade him if the don't want to commit to an extension either because of performance/injury concerns or the potential of a work stoppage in 2011.

Maroney, if he disappoints this year, may find himself out of the league altogether.

He'll get booted out of the league while maintaining a 4.4 yds a carry avg. That should make Ripley's believe it or not.

Brady's old and injury prone. Plus his backup, drafted in the seventh round, stepped right in and didn't miss a beat.

Writings on the wall, it's Guiterrez's job to lose.

Last edited:
Brady's old and injury prone. Plus his backup, drafted in the seventh round, stepped right in and didn't miss a beat.

Writings on the wall, it's Guiterrez's job to lose.

Sorry Ray, I know he's your boy, but the only job that's Gutierrez to lose is inactive emergency QB.

Actually, I would like to make the serious argument that Brady does, in fact, have much to prove this upcoming season. We haven't seen him even pick up a football in over a year, he's coming off an injury that many quarterbacks never return to form from, and there's been nothing but speculation about his status since last September. Obviously he doesn't have a thing to prove based on past experience, but he does have to prove that he's once again Tom Brady. I'm obviously hoping, praying, and homerly assuming he will, but the truth is he's going to face expectations and doubt based on his injury. Hopefully they will be answered by the first game, but only time will tell.

(cowers from the rest of the board members)

Im gonna have to say Koppen, seen him get pushed around like a rag doll at times versus the better nose tackles in the game. J williams, K jenkins..

Read the thread wrong koppens not in a must prove year he's a really good center I would like to see him play better against those nt's though..

Last edited:
Funny you say that. Denver always had a way of churning out 1,000 yard rushers under Shanahan. It would be interesting to see if the same would hold true under McDaniel, though I heavily doubt that considering his program in NE.

The air's too think in Denver. Maroney would blow out a lung.

Why Watson? He's an average TE with average hands and blocking skills and good speed that does what he's told. I know everyone wants him to live up to his glamorous draft position with some big receiving numbers, but there are players drafted high that don't get past their 2nd year. For the cost Watson has value. The team can't have a pricey star at every position and the way the Pats utilize their TEs, Watson is fine and in my book has nothing to prove. What you see is what you get. At the right price I'm good with it.

Exactly, and I think Thomas has more to prove than Watson at TE.

Richard Seymour and his CAP hit

Per Miguel - Yikes !!!!

"April 13, 2006 update Adamjt13 reported on the PatsFans.Com messageboard - "The "extension" is for only three more years past 2006. Seymour got a renegotiation bonus of $5.34 million, prorated at $1,335,000 per season. He also got a workout bonus of $100,000 in addition to his standard $6,160 workout bonus. His $585,000 base salary, plus his $1,335,000 prorated bonus and $100,000 additional workout bonus add up to $2.02 million -- exactly what his salary would have been, which is why his cap number is the same.Next year, Seymour is due an option bonus of $18.66 million. If the option is not exercised, Seymour will become a free agent in 2008, and his 2007 base salary becomes $19.26 million AND is guaranteed. He has workout bonuses of $106,720 each season from 2007 through 2009.His cap numbers each season will be $4,420,160 in 2006, $8,261,720 in 2007, $8,391,720 in 2008 and $11,346,720 in 2009."

$11,346,720 ?? - For what ? - I think I just threw up in my mouth........

Instead of putting up old information, why don't you look at what Seymour's hit really is. Its 9.79 million. And since you weren't paying attention, Seymour led the team last year in sacks and QB hurries.

If you are going to quote Miguel, its always good to read everything because he has 3 other notes following that one.

Miguel said:
April 17, 2006 update From a very reliable resource - "fyi, the $18.66M option bonus is actually two option bonuses . . . the first, for $6.66M is due between aug. 4 of this year and march of next year . . . the second, for $12M is due by march 7 of next year"
September 16, 2006 update I am presuming that the Patriots picked up the $6.66 million option bonus sometime in August.
February 2, 2007 update I am now presuming that the Patriots were able to prorate the 18.66 million option bonus over 4 seasons (2006/2007/2008/2009).

What Seymour did and you think he earned in his early years have no bearing on his current numbers being justified at all. I can't think of any DLineman right now in the NFL with a higher 2009 CAP hit, if you do know, let me know.

Considering that you have no clue what his current numbers are because you can't be bothered to read everything that Miguel has posted, your posts have no bearing on anything in the thread.

Albert Haynesworth has a higher average cap hit than Seymour. His per year cap hit may not be the 9.79 million, but so what. What you fail to comprehend is that most of that cap hit is from money that Seymour earned when he signed his contract extension. Because of the way the contract was structured with the 2 bonuses, Seymour has a higher than normal bonus pro-ration. So, that means that they are still taking the hit on money they paid him 2 and 3 years ago.

Including the postseason?

Give me a fricking break

I want to see 1,000 yards AT LEAST ONCE AND IN 16 REGULAR SEASON GAMES ... Thats what counts

Why dont you just include the yards he has in scrimmage against the Patriots B team while you are at it :rolleyes:

It all counts. Regular Season and Post-Season. Otherwise they wouldn't bother to keep the stats for post season games.

Now, which leg would you like broken since you are insisting on being so anal about thins? :cool:

What YOU want doesn't matter one single bit. It does not matter at all. You can throw your tantrums about Maroney and it won't change anything except maybe your blood-pressure. And I will laugh at you every time because of how unreasonable you are.

Hmmmm..... reading these posts, only one thing really comes to mind:

Matt Cassel sucks and they need to cut him before training camp even ends!

Personally, I don't see him here after the preseason...:eek:

Actually, I would like to make the serious argument that Brady does, in fact, have much to prove this upcoming season. We haven't seen him even pick up a football in over a year, he's coming off an injury that many quarterbacks never return to form from, and there's been nothing but speculation about his status since last September. Obviously he doesn't have a thing to prove based on past experience, but he does have to prove that he's once again Tom Brady. I'm obviously hoping, praying, and homerly assuming he will, but the truth is he's going to face expectations and doubt based on his injury. Hopefully they will be answered by the first game, but only time will tell.

Please list the quarterbacks in the last 10 years who have suffered torn ACLs and not returned to form. I mention the last 10 years because of the advances that have been made in ACL and MCL repairs.

And you are incorrect about Brady's status. We've heard a LOT more than "just speculation" since September. We've heard from the horse's mouth that he is on track for Training Camp. We've also heard that he is participating the the Team's Off-season conditioning program. Those aren't speculations.

Being that this is a Patriots board, quite a few people may take issue with this post, but I can appreciate where you're coming from. The truth is, we don't really know what we're going to see or where he really is, no matter what the reports are saying. We are talking about the Patriots, a team that historically keeps everyone guessing when it comes to the health of their players. I, like you and just about everyone else here, is hoping for the same ole Tom and a strong team and, hopefully, we'll get that gift. I hope the examples of Palmer and Rivers and the like also holds true from Brady. I'm remaining hopeful with tempered enthusiasm and anticipation. September can't come fast enough for me.

Oh, be prepared to have to back up your post. There's probably already a bounty out for you.:violent:

Sorry Ray, I know he's your boy, but the only job that's Gutierrez to lose is inactive emergency QB.

Let's be fair, Mo. Many of these were implied:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It was sarcasm. I have no doubt that O'Connell's the backup. I have no more or less knowledge of Gut's actual potential than anyone here, which means very very little. He's a guy with a couple years in the system that didn't look bad in very brief time against backups.

He and a couple hundred other backups and FAs (including O'Connell) might or might not deliver someday if given the chance.

It all counts. Regular Season and Post-Season. Otherwise they wouldn't bother to keep the stats for post season games.

Now, which leg would you like broken since you are insisting on being so anal about thins? :cool:

What YOU want doesn't matter one single bit. It does not matter at all. You can throw your tantrums about Maroney and it won't change anything except maybe your blood-pressure. And I will laugh at you every time because of how unreasonable you are.

Whatever way you want to defer from the obvious the bottom line is this

IMO LoMo will NEVER as a Patriot,obtain 1,000 or more yards in a regular season - Thats the bottom line and if you want to bet against this then feel free to go ahead,it probably will result in a loss.

Maroney would have more yardage in 16 contests on the dance floor in Dancing With The Stars than he will get in 16 games in the REGULAR season,he dances much better than cutting though the first two layers of defense.

BTW: (I know,the homeristic side of you will say that Offensive line is ALWAYS to blame for those classic Maroney drop down to the ground plays on the first hit he gets :rolleyes)

Don't get me wrong,I have no dislike for Maroney as a person,I just don't think he is long for this league and I think BB will be making some moves in the draft this year and possibly next year in FA to address it. - If Fred Taylor does pick up the running game then it might delay any changes for a little bit longer as long as the rushing attack is doing O.K. as a whole cohesive unit.

Exepect a possible replacement next year at RB to be addressed in this years draft around the 2nd or 3rd rounds

Last edited:
Whatever way you want to defer from the obvious the bottom line is this

LoMo will NEVER as a Patriot,obtain 1,000 or more yards in a regular season - Thats the bottom line and if you want to bet against this then feel free to go ahead,it probably will result in a loss.

I don't think he needs 1000 yards. A committee of fresh backs will each rack up less yardage while, if last year means anything at all, being among the best in the league in run game effectiveness.

When Sproles gets destroyed by week six this year we'll see why the feature back is going to get rarer and rarer.

Last edited:
I don't think he needs 1000 yards. A committee of fresh backs will each rack up less yardage while, if last year means anything at all, being among the best in the league in run game effectiveness.

When Sproles gets destroyed by week six this year we'll see why the feature back is going to get rarer and rarer.

I don't think he needs 1,000 yards either to make the rushing attack be a good cohesive unit with ALL the players helping out.

What I am saying is Maroney will NEVER be the type of running back to exceed 1,000 yards in a season,He is not made to be a leading type back who can carry most of the load - He needs help at least with other guys like he had with Dillon,Morris and now Taylor along with Faulk to help out - He cannot carry nor will he ever carry the majority of running game on his shoulders on a consistent basis like we see with some of the more talented backs who also don't go on IR or the injury list for weeks every year.

Maroney in the backfield:

1236681958_hammer-time.gif

Sorry couldn't resist bumping with this. :eek:

Have a good weekend everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back