PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where does Browner fit in when he comes back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that you really overrate Browner if you think he is just going to eliminate all teams #1 TE.

Browner is at his best on edge of the field where he can force receivers to the outside. He can't do that most of the time when playing tight ends. He will have to play completely differently then he is used too.
What is he used to? He is a CB; you put him in man coverage and tell him to cover the player. I am not sure why everyone is so obsessed with this “what the player is used too” **** lately. Browner is used to playing football and covering an offensive player, he does not need to line up on the right side approximately 2ft from the receiver with his hands at a 36 degree angle to be successful. I do not mean to attack your post, but I have read this for months and I just think it is nonsense.

124% agree. Would be a waste to put him back there IMO. Bump his man first 5 yards. How he makes his living. Not covering space
That really is not true. Seattle played a cover 3 zone most of the time, Browner was assigned more to a portion of the field and less to a specific receiver. If you put Browner at strong safety you could keep him in the box, and have him cover the #1 TE 1on1 out of that role, essentially doing with Browner what Seattle does with Chancellor by making him a fourth LB.

What is he used to? He is a CB; you put him in man coverage and tell him to cover the player. I am not sure why everyone is so obsessed with this “what the player is used too” **** lately. Browner is used to playing football and covering an offensive player, he does not need to line up on the right side approximately 2ft from the receiver with his hands at a 36 degree angle to be successful. I do not mean to attack your post, but I have read this for months and I just think it is nonsense.

It's not about "what he's used to", it's about playing him to his own strengths, Browner's size over wide receivers is his greatest asset, not his cover ability.

He loses his biggest, and really only, advantage when lined up against someone 2 inches and 40lbs biggers than he is.

You put him on a teams #2 or 3 receiver and he has the ability to eliminate that read by blowing up the route, you put him on a tight end and he has to cover through the entire route because he probably won't disrupt it nearly enough to ruin the timing and eliminate the read, making him a liability against someone bigger and more physical.

There is a reason that when TE's are hit off the LOS it is usually by a 265-270lb linebacker or defensive end and not a 190-220lb corner.

Size isn't everything but it does mean a lot. Browner has 20lbs over most WR's, most TE's have at least 20lbs on him. The game changes drastically.

A player like Revis, or as we saw with Talib on Graham, is able to beat a TE not because of his physicality but because of his excellent coverage ability and not letting the TE body him out.

You put Browner on Julius Thomas and he'll give up 6 touchdowns down the seam that game.

It's not about "what he's used to", it's about playing him to his own strengths, Browner's size over wide receivers is his greatest asset, not his cover ability.

He loses his biggest, and really only, advantage when lined up against someone 2 inches and 40lbs biggers than he is.

You put him on a teams #2 or 3 receiver and he has the ability to eliminate that read by blowing up the route, you put him on a tight end and he has to cover through the entire route because he probably won't disrupt it nearly enough to ruin the timing and eliminate the read, making him a liability against someone bigger and more physical.

There is a reason that when TE's are hit off the LOS it is usually by a 265-270lb linebacker or defensive end and not a 190-220lb corner.

Size isn't everything but it does mean a lot. Browner has 20lbs over most WR's, most TE's have at least 20lbs on him. The game changes drastically.

A player like Revis, or as we saw with Talib on Graham, is able to beat a TE not because of his physicality but because of his excellent coverage ability and not letting the TE body him out.

You put Browner on Julius Thomas and he'll give up 6 touchdowns down the seam that game.
Against a TE I believe that Browner would have excellent coverage ability, where Browner struggles is against speed and quicker WRs.

I do not think he would give up 6 touchdowns to Thomas, I think he has the speed and size to stay with him like a blanket. Most teams do not man up a CB on the TEs, that is why TEs are able to make plays often times, or if they do they end up having a CB who is to short and the TE posts him up.

Against a TE I believe that Browner would have excellent coverage ability, where Browner struggles is against speed and quicker WRs.

I do not think he would give up 6 touchdowns to Thomas, I think he has the speed and size to stay with him like a blanket. Most teams do not man up a CB on the TEs, that is why TEs are able to make plays often times, or if they do they end up having a CB who is to short and the TE posts him up.

I just don't like Browner as a cover man, which is what he would need to be against a TE, I love having him for what he is, though.

Julius Thomas does not concern you?

If Browner and Collins are healthy, absolutely not. McCourty and Revis to boot, still very optimistic of the outcome (okay, much more optimistic). Hell, even Ryan and Arrington...I'll shut up now

Health is the real issue.

Okay. Lets say what he is good at instead. Because that's sort of what I meant.

To cover someone on the edge of the field is completely different than covering a tight end close to the formation.

What Browner does, and is good at, is forcing the receiver to the outside. He doesn't really have to think about routes to the outside, because he is so close to the sideline. He also have the sideline as a second defender helping him. He's tall, so it's hard for the QB to put the ball over him. This is what he is good at. If he played a tight end he would first of all be much smaller than them. He is much bigger than the regular receivers, which is why he can hit them so good. But much smaller than your regular tight ends. So he probably wouldn't be able to hit them as well. When he does hit them he can't do it like he usually does, what he is good at, by forcing them to the outside. Because he has no sideline to help and force them to. The game changes completely for guys like him if you bring him inside. You remove the thing he is good at.

I think Browners talents are pretty limited. By putting him on the inside remove what he is best at.

It would be interesting to see them try that with him. But from what he has showed so far he probably wouldn't be that good at it. I see that as a less than ideal fit for him.

I don't see the nonsense in saying that a player is pretty limited in what he does(press on outside, yes they press a lot in cover 3 too), and that he might not be that good in a role that eliminates the thing he is good at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye