PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where are the Maroney bashers now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy Buddy, it was one game. And although he played well, there were times where he could have improved his runs by bouncing outside. He seems to be hitting the holes a bit harder, which has been my main concern. If you ask me if that performance proves that he is a #1 back, I'd say lets see a few of those performances back to back and then we'll talk.

Except for the bad weather and the coaches told him not to try to make too many cuts?

Except for the bad weather and the coaches told him not to try to make too many cuts?

its not that coaches told him he cnat..have u ever played in your life? it limits u..u can try it..but you'll slip

wet weather: you cant go as fast as u would when its dry, cant cut hard, especially at full speed and everything is slippery..including ball

Sorry, I disagree that he's a credible threat. KF is more of a threat at this point. He has improved his blocking since the beginning of the year though.

Again, I didn't discredit his game, I just said that the Jets actually held him to below their average. That's the fact I presented. Everything else is speculation on people's part.

What do you need to see in order for you to consider him credible? If you never state your expectations, you can always say he isn't meeting them. If you state your expectations and they are reasonable, then Maroney not meeting them will lead to more intelligent exchanges than what we have been seeing lately.

its not that coaches told him he cnat..have u ever played in your life? it limits u..u can try it..but you'll slip

wet weather: you cant go as fast as u would when its dry, cant cut hard, especially at full speed and everything is slippery..including ball

I understand that, I meant also the comments from earlier in the year where it seemed the coaches were trying to get Maroney to make less cuts behind the line and just hit the hole. Not being able to cut well due to the weather is just obvious fact.

He had a great game. It was just what I was hoping he would down. He hit the hole hard and put in more effort in his running that he has all season. I think that he is a great runner he just needs to be more balls to the wall like he was Sunday and he will be fine.

I like Maroney, and support him, but what exactly is the evidence that he has played as good as we thought he would so far? There is not much fact on either side of the discussion on this board.

The people that don't think he is good point to his low number of carries, and say he isn't getting many because he isn't tough enough.

The people who think he has been amazing look at his average per carry, and say that we aren't using him because we don't need to.

This isn't really accurate. Myself and others have said Maroney hasn't been amazing, but he's been good when NE's given him the ball. Also, those of us who like him have used his YPC in support of our claims that he doesn't suck, but that doesn't mean we think he's "amazing".

Right now I think maroney's a 22 year old RB, who's shown flashes of top level talent, and looks to be improving. I'd have liked to see more production from him this season, but I don't think he's been a dissapointment, when given the ball.

Last edited:
I'm still here.

Two 100+ yard rushing games on the season. The kid's on fire! :rolleyes:

Granted, he had a great game yesterday and looked to be running with more authority...but I'm not sold. We'll see what happens next game (I'm sure he'll be a big factor against the 1 win Fins).

He's had two 100 yard games rushing, but he's had 4 games with 100 yards of total offense. You seem to forget this every time he's mentioned?

That production doesn't mean he's "on fire" or outstanding, but he's at least shown an ability to get it done when NE's given him touches, and he's still improving.

I like how you're getting ready to discount what ever performance he might put up against the Dolphins, because their only a "1 win" team. Funny, I didn't see you or any other Maroney bashers discounting brady or Moss's performance against the Dolphins earlier this season, simply because it came against the Dolphins...

Just my two cents but I think Maroney had a number of tough runs in that game, gaining 4 yards a pop even when the Jets were stacked up aganist him. I thought he had a quality game.

The defense is cutting on the same surface. Did I say it was something bad or did you add that for effect?

Putting the game in his hands is different than picking up a few runs in garbarge time or when the defense is playing a nickel.

Maybe you're comfortable with putting the game in his hands but I'm not.

Maybe you're enamored with him but I'm not. Go ask some non-homer from another team if Maroney strikes fear in their heart.

The Patriots already HAVE put the game in Maroney's hands. If you watched the Jets game you should realize this, as he accounted for a major chunk of their offensive output, and scored the Patriots only offensive TD.

Nobody said they were "enamored" with Maroney. He had a good game, and some of us are giving him credit.

His efforts weren't outstanding, as I'd consider an outstanding offensive output to be anything over 150 yards rushing, or 175-200 yards combined. Considering his offensive production was key to NE's victory I wouldn't say he was simply decent, and we shouldn't go into games expecting 150 yards rushing, as it's not realistic.

HERE!

Oh, sorry. Not really a Maroney basher. I think he still has a lot of potential. His speed is dangerous. I think I would try to duplicate some of those big plays he had against the Ravens (?). Granted, those were pass plays, but maybe just getting him involved and into the flow more will help his confidence and overall game. At the same time, I would not let one game fool you. Didn't see the game, but did the Jets go with a 2 man front? How many attempts did Maroney have? Could these have factored in to his rushing total?

If you didn't watch the game then you really shouldn't be involved in the discussion, sorry. Also, the Jets were crashing the LOS with blitzers, but you'd realize this had you watched the game.

Maroney is not a finished product. He is only 22 and has been brought along slowly by BB for a reason. Maroney is developing into a complete back. He is extremely smart. He is learning how to protect his body and stay on the field. he is getting stronger. He never fumbles. He has flashed explosive ability in the passing game. He has improved as a blocker. Maroney is just scratching the surface of his ability, and the gradual way BB has developed him will enable Maroney to flourish for years.

HERE!

Oh, sorry. Not really a Maroney basher. I think he still has a lot of potential. His speed is dangerous. I think I would try to duplicate some of those big plays he had against the Ravens (?). Granted, those were pass plays, but maybe just getting him involved and into the flow more will help his confidence and overall game. At the same time, I would not let one game fool you. Didn't see the game, but did the Jets go with a 2 man front? How many attempts did Maroney have? Could these have factored in to his rushing total?

What happened to Addai? He is barely averaging 3 yards per carry over his last 6 games. Did he get old fast? Kenton Keith looks like a better option at this point.

He's a cutback runner. Don't parse my words. You know what I was saying. Play your goofy games with someone else because your opinion has no weight.

F&G - YOU are the one who made mention that the defenses had to cut also. What you fail to acknowledge is that the COACHES said that they didn't want Maroney to attempt cuts. Why? Because on a slick surface like that, he'd end up falling down. The defense doesn't have to cut nearly as hard as the RB who is 1 person trying to avoid 11. Not 11 trying to tackle 1.

What happened to Addai? He is barely averaging 3 yards per carry over his last 6 games. Did he get old fast? Kenton Keith looks like a better option at this point.

Addai is MADE OF GLASS AND IS A BUST!!!! Bunch of homers!:rolleyes:

The question you should be asking is why he isn't called upon more often. Yes, we have the passing attack but why is the difference so dramatic?

The difference is so dramatic BECAUSE the Pats have a passing attack. A passing attack that features 2 outstanding receivers in Moss and Welker and 4 good complimentary receivers in Faulk, Gaffney, Stallworth and Watson.

Laurence rushed for a season-high 104 yards on 26 carries and scored New England's only offensive touchdown. So even though the offense struggled on Sunday you can't blame the lack of a running game.
The only thing Maroney did was have more carries than usual, and that is not his call. It's the coach's call.

Maroney lowered his ypc carry average against the Jets by only gaining 4 yards per carry. How is that playing better?

Ha, it's pretty funny if you think about it. The Colts offense didn't look so great against the Raiders in good weather, and they've had a few close games of late, yet these Colts trolls want to talk about NE's offensive performance against the Jets.

I don't know why people here are looking to McFadden as the solution here, when we already have someone like Morris under contract. And Maroney WILL get better with time.
Because they are dumb. Simple.

The only thing Maroney did was have more carries than usual, and that is not his call. It's the coach's call.

Maroney lowered his ypc carry average against the Jets by only gaining 4 yards per carry. How is that playing better?

ONLY 4 yards per carry?:rolleyes: The XBOX is calling you away from this message board.

The discussion really isn't about Addai. I'd still take him over Maroney any day. Keith is supposed to be the guy who would split carries (although Dungy never committed to this). I think he is good enough that he should get a few more looks per game. Addai is not a big concern at this point. I think he and the rest of the O-line will be ready come playoff time.

It's about Addai now. You didn't answer my question. What happened to him? Why has he been so awful the last 6 games running the ball? 6 games is almost half a season. He can't get out of his own way. Is he injured already? Has the pounding slowed him down? Has the tread on his tires worn thin? He's run the ball 102 times for 315 yards over the past 6 games. For you hayseeds out there, that comes out to 3.1 yards per attempt, dreadful. Addai seems to be on the decline, already. Don't worry, you can always savor that one championship season, kind of how we think of JR Redmond.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes