PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where are the Maroney bashers now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakes781

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Laurence rushed for a season-high 104 yards on 26 carries and scored New England's only offensive touchdown. So even though the offense struggled on Sunday you can't blame the lack of a running game.

Maroney basher Here. Every dog has his day.

Laurence rushed for a season-high 104 yards on 26 carries and scored New England's only offensive touchdown. So even though the offense struggled on Sunday you can't blame the lack of a running game.

I already came out and said what a great game he had.

(See: http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=71027)

I would like to see him put a bunch of those types of games together, but he was just what we needed yesterday, that's for sure.

He even cut outside for some extra yards a couple of times, something I would like to see him do a LOT more.

Last edited:
I already came out and said what a great game he had.

I would like to see him put a bunch of those together, but he was just what we needed yesterday, that's for sure.

he even cut outside for some extra yards a couple of times, something I would like to see him do a LOT more.

By the way, I have never been a basher.

Just think we'd be better off with a true feature back (McFadden or the like) and Laurence in a 3rd down role.

Now that the Niners have deicided to go on a winning streak, though, the #1 pick is fading from sight!

What makes you sure McFadden is a feature back?

Those who do not see Maroney as a one-back have posted. Personally, I think that we would have had a much easier game if maroney had Morris to alternate with.

im here... im still not sold on him... i hope he keeps it up...

I've been defending Maroney on this board for weeks, and I will continue to do so. Having said that, there is no reason for one game, or even two or three, two change the minds of the people who don't like him. Their arguments aren't based upon salient facts, they're based upon impressions and opinions. 3 games at the end of the season won't change too many minds.

I don't know why people here are looking to McFadden as the solution here, when we already have someone like Morris under contract. And Maroney WILL get better with time.

He had a decent game.
To me, it does'nt prove much.
Except he's capable of having decent games.
I hope he keeps it up.

Phil Simms sure does like him alot.

I do too.

What makes you sure McFadden is a feature back?

Well, any college player is a subjective gamble, but he sure looks like the real deal when I watch him at Arkansas.

My nephew would have a 100 yard day against the Jets

I've been a fair-to-middling Maroney backer, and certainly an opponent of the "draft McFadden" school.

When Maroney is called upon to play the "featured back" role he passes with flying colors. He gets the job done. Yesterday was a good example. We needed that role. He played that role. He got it done. My guess is that since he's got a 4+ yard per carry average, and he maintains it when you feed him the ball 20-25 times, the only way he can "repeat the performance" over and over is to kick Faulk to the curb, stop passing so much, and consider the remainder of the year an experiment in making a few fantasy football players happy. I'd say the jury is still out on those 20-25 carry games, since our data set is small, but there is no real reason to think he can't handle whatever load we assign him.

McFadden, on the other hand, despite his "blue chip" aura, made all those nifty YouTube highlight reels against college teams. I can not emphasize this enough. He has never played a down in the NFL. This represents risk. You can not compare the value of a proven draft bonanza, such as an Adrian Peterson, to an unproven commodity, such as McFadden (any more than you can say authoritatively that he will be a Reggie Bush or a Ron Dayne.)

As to Maroney himself: The one issue that keeps coming up has to do with an "outside running" style in the process of being adapted to the NFL, where precious few teams do a lot of outside running. The poster boy for the draft-day "sure thing," Reggie Bush, illustrates this well. The league just has too much speed on defensive lines and linebacking corps, not to mention safeties. The same holds true inside, of course, but the difference isn't as exaggerated, since inside runs aren't in space.

So: the Patriots, like any NFL club, needs a running game. The evidence is that the Patriots have a running game, when they need one, not that they eschew the run because they have no confidence.

What, then, is the effect of spending a high pick on a running back?

1) You can pay more for a position at which the Pats are well stocked and productive

2) You can take a risk that your high first round bonus baby will totally suck

3) To "buy down" that risk, you can waste an extra roster spot, by keeping the three main productive backs you have, and adding the bonus baby.

So, there is a cost associated with any change. There are risks associated with any change. Naturally, if your running game is unsatisfactory, you must accept the costs and/or risks.

The difficulty with incurring additional risks or costs, is that the running game is not unsatisfactory, unless the expectation is to have a 20-TD back, as well as a 45+-TD passing game.

All else being equal, that's not such a bad idea. But all else is not equal. We can use that high pick to acquire a raft of prospects and/or future picks.

I feel the same way about the trade talk I've seen around here. Again: when have we called on the running game this year and come up empty?

That's what you have to measure performance by, doing what is asked of the player(s) you're talking about.

You always demand more, to push them to get better (and Maroney might have plenty more upside yet.) You never accept less -- and Maroney hasn't given us less. But you don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Unless the running game lost us a game this year that I just don't recall ;)

PFnV

I've been defending Maroney on this board for weeks, and I will continue to do so. Having said that, there is no reason for one game, or even two or three, two change the minds of the people who don't like him. Their arguments aren't based upon salient facts, they're based upon impressions and opinions. 3 games at the end of the season won't change too many minds.

I like Maroney, and support him, but what exactly is the evidence that he has played as good as we thought he would so far? There is not much fact on either side of the discussion on this board.

The people that don't think he is good point to his low number of carries, and say he isn't getting many because he isn't tough enough.

The people who think he has been amazing look at his average per carry, and say that we aren't using him because we don't need to.

I'm still here.

Two 100+ yard rushing games on the season. The kid's on fire! :rolleyes:

Granted, he had a great game yesterday and looked to be running with more authority...but I'm not sold. We'll see what happens next game (I'm sure he'll be a big factor against the 1 win Fins).

Where are the Maroney bashers now?

Bashing Stallworth and an anemic passing offense.

Clearly Belichick has lost faith in the passing game. He called more running plays than passing plays - and for some strange reason, they actually favored short passes in the to Gaffney during the sleet and wind storm more than mid to deep passes Stallworth. Go figure.

Bashing Stallworth and an anemic passing offense.

Clearly Belichick has lost faith in the passing game. He called more running plays than passing plays - and for some strange reason, they actually favored short passes in the to Gaffney during the sleet and wind storm more than mid to deep passes Stallworth. Go figure.

And Randy Moss, what, 5 receptions for 70 odd yards? The guy is a bust.

i only care about one basher coming out and saying something yet that one poster has mysteriouly vanished after a post of Maroney not gettting 100 combined in the 2 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down