PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where are the Maroney bashers now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clearly Belichick has lost faith in the passing game. He called more running plays than passing plays - and for some strange reason, they actually favored short passes in the to Gaffney during the sleet and wind storm more than mid to deep passes Stallworth. Go figure.

I think BB postgame said that once they saw the Jets standing guys up at the line of scrimage, they thought running would be effective against that.

Though it clearly situational in the Ravens game, I'd like to see a throw to LM every now and then.

Although Maroney ran better, here's something for those who want to crown him king to think about.

The Jets have the 28th ranked run defense that gives up an average of 4.3 yards a carry. Maroney got 4.0 yards a carrry so the Jets effectively held him under their average.

That being said, he ran better but he isn't there yet.

Although Maroney ran better, here's something for those who want to crown him king to think about.

The Jets have the 28th ranked run defense that gives up an average of 4.3 yards a carry. Maroney got 4.0 yards a carrry so the Jets effectively held him under their average.

yeah in terrible weather in terms of cutting, a team that was commited to run when we went with 1 WR..clearly running

he pounded the ball. when i brought up 4.6 ypc earlier in season..u guys said it meant nothing. now u say 4.0 means something bad?

I find it amusing that the same people who say Maroney "CAN'T" catch the ball are pushing for him to be a "3rd down back." God.

yeah in terrible weather in terms of cutting, a team that was commited to run when we went with 1 WR..clearly running

he pounded the ball. when i brought up 4.6 ypc earlier in season..u guys said it meant nothing. now u say 4.0 means something bad?

The defense is cutting on the same surface. Did I say it was something bad or did you add that for effect?

Putting the game in his hands is different than picking up a few runs in garbarge time or when the defense is playing a nickel.

Maybe you're comfortable with putting the game in his hands but I'm not.

Maybe you're enamored with him but I'm not. Go ask some non-homer from another team if Maroney strikes fear in their heart.

I agree with you if there is a place Maroney hasn't been yet.

I disagree with you if there is a place Maroney has already been before.

I ignore you if you don't know understand where there is for the Patriots.

The defense is cutting on the same surface. Did I say it was something bad or did you add that for effect?

Putting the game in his hands is different than picking up a few runs in garbarge time or when the defense is playing a nickel.

Maybe you're enamored with him but I'm not. Go ask some non-homer from another team if Maroney strikes fear in their heart.

the defense isnt the 1 trying to make people miss. Maroney is not a pure downhill runner. When does a front 7 ever cut hard upfield? they shuffle and go down

Why do people still insist that we need or even that BB and the coaching staff WANTS a "feature" back. All signs seem to indicate that they want two running backs splitting carries. They seem to understand the beating running backs take and they seem not to like to pound them too much early in the year and usually hardly at all in the regular season against stout run defenses.

What makes people think that the running back is the problem? All signs point to it being a philosophy on when and how to use the running game and having two running backs split the beatings. All signs also point to them highly favoring a good passing game against a good running game, depending on the conditions and the defense.

The only facts the Maroney-bashers stand on is the low # of carries, and they instantly take that to reflect a problem in Maroney. There has been nothing to suggest that if you follow this team but they insist it is true.

No one knows how good Maroney will be into the future but I just don't see any signs of him being this huge bust that people make him out to be.

So I'll ask what is the point of risking one running back in a "feature" running back role throughout the season, year after year?

What is the point of this when you have a great passing game?

What is the point of this when you play against great run defenses, as long as they don't start taking guys off the line cheating for the pass?

What is the point of this when the times you really need to run is when the defense sells out against the pass and/or the weather doesn't permit an efficient passing game?

I just don't understand why people WANT to feed the ball to the running back 20-30 times a game, almost every game, and only one running back. Especially on this team, it doesn't make any damn sense.

I agree with you if there is a place Maroney hasn't been yet.

I disagree with you if there is a place Maroney has already been before.

I ignore you if you don't know understand where there is for the Patriots.

Wow, too quick for me. :rolleyes:

Go back to 2001, 2003 and ask some non-homer from another team if Brady struck fear in their hearts. Go ask them if anyone on our team struck fear in their hearts. The point has never been to strike fear in their hearts, it's to do your job when you are called upon. When has Maroney NOT done his job??

the defense isnt the 1 trying to make people miss. Maroney is not a pure downhill runner. When does a front 7 ever cut hard upfield? they shuffle and go down

He's a cutback runner. Don't parse my words. You know what I was saying. Play your goofy games with someone else because your opinion has no weight.

Go back to 2001, 2003 and ask some non-homer from another team if Brady struck fear in their hearts. Go ask them if anyone on our team struck fear in their hearts. The point has never been to strike fear in their hearts, it's to do your job when you are called upon. When has Maroney NOT done his job??

The question you should be asking is why he isn't called upon more often. Yes, we have the passing attack but why is the difference so dramatic?

The question you should be asking is why he isn't called upon more often. Yes, we have the passing attack but why is the difference so dramatic?

See my other post. You cannot point to one game where you can logically come to the conclusion that we should have run more. The question is NOT why he isn't called upon more often, that is the question to those who aren't really paying attention. Many have listed a ton of reasons why we haven't run more often all over this forum.

Do you believe that taking away passing plays to run the ball would have scored us more points on the year than we currently have? Without nit-picking a certain one or two play situation. If we turn say about 100-150 of those passing plays into running plays, do we score more, less or the same so far?

Last edited:
Wow, too quick for me. :rolleyes:

K...I'll slow it down a bit.

If you expect Maroney to be a 35 carry per game, 2000 yard runner...I agree he has shown no signs he can be that.

If you expect Maroney to do what the coaches ask of him (don't fumble, get positive yards, hit the gaps in the designed play, sell the play fake, protect the QB, etc.) and execute effectively in the Pats overall offense...then I disagree with you that he is "not there yet".

If you expect something else, you might want to clarify what you are expecting so that everyone else can appreciate your perspective.

See my other post. You cannot point to one game where you can logically come to the conclusion that we should have run more. The question is NOT why he isn't called upon more often, that is the question to those who aren't really paying attention. Many have listed a ton of reasons why we haven't run more often all over this forum.

Do you believe that taking away passing plays to run the ball would have scored us more points on the year than we currently have? Without nit-picking a certain one or two play situation. If we turn say about 100-150 of those passing plays into running plays, do we score more, less or the same so far?

Well, I'm not sure why it matters if we score less points unless we score less than the other team.

Second, I'd certainly give up some of those points for a more balanced attack.

It isn't a matter of not paying attention, it's a matter of making sure you're credible in both types of attack. I don't think we are credible in the running department at this late point in the season.

K...I'll slow it down a bit.

If you expect Maroney to be a 35 carry per game, 2000 yard runner...I agree he has shown no signs he can be that.

If you expect Maroney to do what the coaches ask of him (don't fumble, get positive yards, hit the gaps in the designed play, sell the play fake, protect the QB, etc.) and execute effectively in the Pats overall offense...then I disagree with you that he is "not there yet".

If you expect something else, you might want to clarify what you are expecting so that everyone else can appreciate your perspective.

Sorry, I disagree that he's a credible threat. KF is more of a threat at this point. He has improved his blocking since the beginning of the year though.

Again, I didn't discredit his game, I just said that the Jets actually held him to below their average. That's the fact I presented. Everything else is speculation on people's part.

Well, I'm not sure why it matters if we score less points unless we score less than the other team.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: The offense's job is to score points, the more points the better the performance. The offense against the jets did not perform very well, understandably due to the weather. The running game performed well but it would have been a better performance by the OFFENSE if they were able to score more.

Thankfully BB is the coach. Why the hell would you ever give up points? Do you honestly believe that the running performances now depend on how "credible" you made it in past games? And is it not easier to run when a team has MORE fear for your passing game?

It isn't a matter of not paying attention, it's a matter of making sure you're credible in both types of attack. I don't think we are credible in the running department at this late point in the season.

100% no, it's a matter of scoring points. The offense has an overall goal which is to score points, period.

Also you can think we aren't credible all you want in the running game, it doesn't make it true. We have a very high percentage of success when we choose to call upon the running game. The running game performs when it is needed.

Whether you ran the ball a lot earlier in the year is not going to give you a huge advantage or disadvantage running the ball in later games. Your post makes no sense whatsoever and goes against the Patriots philosophy. At 14-0, and 3 past superbowls, how can you still not trust the Patriots philosophical decisions?

Laurence rushed for a season-high 104 yards on 26 carries and scored New England's only offensive touchdown. So even though the offense struggled on Sunday you can't blame the lack of a running game.

Easy Buddy, it was one game. And although he played well, there were times where he could have improved his runs by bouncing outside. He seems to be hitting the holes a bit harder, which has been my main concern. If you ask me if that performance proves that he is a #1 back, I'd say lets see a few of those performances back to back and then we'll talk.

And how do you know how many points are enough?

How many points would you have been willing to give up against Indy? Philly? Baltimore? If the Pats lose those three games, we would probably be talking about what the dome noise will be like in January. Again.

Do you really believe the Pats got this far and still don't know what kind of rushing attack they have? "Credible" in whose estimation? Yours? The media? Their opponents? The Pats don't care if anyone thinks they have a "credible" run offense. The Pats know what they have and are supremely confident that what they have is enough to win a title.

The Super Bowl title I mean...I hear the "Most Credible Rushing Attack" and "Most Balanced Offense" titles are likely going to other teams.

Sorry, I disagree that he's a credible threat. KF is more of a threat at this point. He has improved his blocking since the beginning of the year though.

Again, I didn't discredit his game, I just said that the Jets actually held him to below their average. That's the fact I presented. Everything else is speculation on people's part.

The weather is a fact ya know. You want to present this "fact", ignore other facts as speculation, and then speculate that we needed to run more earlier in the year to be credible, even if it meant scoring less? SAY WHAT!?

Is Maroney the best running back the jets have faced? Probably not. Is he a good running back who does his job? YES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back