PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where are the Maroney bashers now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was happy for LoMo to finally get going. I was esp. happy to see him get it in that kinda game. Cold, wet and pounding.

That makes me think he may be able to punish their D a bit. He hit those lineman hard on Sunday.

It was a great game by him. Hopefully he can keep it up....

As a moderate basher of the LoMo Experience, I was very pleased that BB and friends had faith enough to put the rock in KoolAid's hands and he delivered a solid performance.
That being said, let us remember that the phrases LoMo and Explosive do not belong in the same sentence together. Explosive backs hit the hole hard and can accelereate through holes to rip off big yardage. Since the bye week (5 games), LoMo's longest carry has been 11 yards. Seven RBs have cranked out longer runs than LoMo's best in those 5 games including 2 teammates. Not once did Maroney lead the pack in those 5 games. If Maroney is considered Explosive, then every team the Pats play has rosters full of explosive RBs.

Maroney is not a finished product. He is only 22 and has been brought along slowly by BB for a reason. Maroney is developing into a complete back. He is extremely smart. He is learning how to protect his body and stay on the field. he is getting stronger. He never fumbles. He has flashed explosive ability in the passing game. He has improved as a blocker. Maroney is just scratching the surface of his ability, and the gradual way BB has developed him will enable Maroney to flourish for years.

I'd tend to agree with that assessment, but I'd have felt more comfortable spending a 3rd or 4th round pick on a project. He is adequate at this stage, barely able to crack 100 against the Jets, so at this juncture he is not exactly a 1st round pick.

Some people here are so hypersensitive about what his potential is that they fail to see what his actual accomplishments have been (not much). Well, the big news is that we all know about his potential. Some of us cream our jeans over potential and some of us take a more measured approach.

The measured approach seems to be sacreligious around here. "Hey, how come you can't just be happy?" "Hey, why do you bash the guy?" "Hey, how come you can't just say nice things about our guys? Aren't you a real fan?"

I'd tend to agree with that assessment, but I'd have felt more comfortable spending a 3rd or 4th round pick on a project. He is adequate at this stage, barely able to crack 100 against the Jets, so at this juncture he is not exactly a 1st round pick.

Some people here are so hypersensitive about what his potential is that they fail to see what his actual accomplishments have been (not much). Well, the big news is that we all know about his potential. Some of us cream our jeans over potential and some of us take a more measured approach.

The measured approach seems to be sacreligious around here. "Hey, how come you can't just be happy?" "Hey, why do you bash the guy?" "Hey, how come you can't just say nice things about our guys? Aren't you a real fan?"

The problem is that "some people" can't keep themselves from making incendiary comments like "barely able to crack 100". This makes sensible people who don't have a grudge against Maroney rightfully annoyed.

Last edited:
I find it amusing that the same people who say Maroney "CAN'T" catch the ball are pushing for him to be a "3rd down back." God.

I know I never said he can't catch the ball.

He had a couple of nice grabs for big YAC vs. the Ravens. A glimpse of the future, perhaps?

I know I never said he can't catch the ball.

He had a couple of nice grabs for big YAC vs. the Ravens. A glimpse of the future, perhaps?
I'm happy for Larry.
I like the kid, but I admit I was bashing him in the first quarter...not bashing him so much as hoping Faulk would get more carries because I thought he was harder to tackle and hit the hole harder given the conditions. I still think that would have been good, but Maroney had a good game just the same. I like Faulk overall in a grind-out game, though.

Second, I'd certainly give up some of those points for a more balanced attack.

Well, it sounds like your coaching philosophy is at odds with BB who has stated numerous times this year that the goal of the offense is to score points no matter how it is done. You'd really rather score less points and justify it because it is now "balanced"?

I agree that balance is useful - but not in and off itself. It can be useful because:

- consistent running game is typically a better, easier way to take time off the clock
- threat of a running game tends to slow down the pass rush
- threat of a running game makes the defense take play action fakes more seriously opening up the passing game

In other words, balance in and of itself is not the point; the point is to be able to accomplish the goal of the offense with greater success. The goal of the offense is almost always primarily to score. Occasionally the goal of the offense is to take time off the clock; occasionally it's to leave time on the clock (while still scoring).

So, if you're after balance for the sake of balance, I strongly disagree with you. If you're really after some of the advantages that balance can potentially bring that help you achieve your goals (to score!), then I don't have a clue what you're saying because that means you want to score less in order to improve your chances of scoring more.

As an observation/comparison of players that have been bandied about:

Joseph Addai's last 3 weeks
21-67, 3.2
13-32, 2.5
15-44, 2.9

combined numbers: 49-143, 2.9

Laurence Maroney's last 3 weeks
13-44, 3.4
8-18, 2.3
26-104, 4.0

combined numbers: 47-166, 3.5

As an observation/comparison of players that have been bandied about:

Joseph Addai's last 3 weeks
21-67, 3.2
13-32, 2.5
15-44, 2.9

combined numbers: 49-143, 2.9

Laurence Maroney's last 3 weeks
13-44, 3.4
8-18, 2.3
26-104, 4.0

combined numbers: 47-166, 3.5

Keep in mind that Addai faced the Ravens without Ngata, with 2nd string DBs, a team that had given up after the Pat loss. Addai faced mediocre run D in Jacksonville, without Stroud and Peterson, and the worst run D in the league in Oakland.

Maroney faced statistically one of the best run D's in NFL history in Baltimore before Ngata's injury with Rolle and McCallister; the #1 run D in the league in Aaron Smith before his injury; and an improving Jets D in poor conditions where quick cuts were inadvisable.

Addai is a good back with great heart, but he is prone to taking big hits. He is two years older than Maroney and IMO has reached his peak performance already. Maroney is a developing player who is improving in all aspects of his game, and his best is yet to come.

Last edited:
I guess you'll be posting again real soon. Get your knife and fork out for some delicious crow.

I hope so. He is a Patriot and his success is our success.
I rather eat crow than read about him getting diapers stuck in his locker.

I hope so. He is a Patriot and his success is our success.
I rather eat crow than read about him getting diapers stuck in his locker.

Perhaps you should try finding out what the diapers were all about....

The defense is cutting on the same surface. Did I say it was something bad or did you add that for effect?

Putting the game in his hands is different than picking up a few runs in garbarge time or when the defense is playing a nickel.

Maybe you're comfortable with putting the game in his hands but I'm not.

Maybe you're enamored with him but I'm not. Go ask some non-homer from another team if Maroney strikes fear in their heart.

Is Phil Simms a Patriot homer? He said Maroney has 'all the skills to be one of the best running backs in the NFL".

The problem is that "some people" can't keep themselves from making incendiary comments like "barely able to crack 100". This makes sensible people who don't have a grudge against Maroney rightfully annoyed.

Is 104 barely cracking 100 or not?

Is 4 ypc average or not?

If I said Thomas Jones barely cracked 100 when he hit 104 would you be all bent out of shape over that? Cripes, 104 is good, but it's not 204, hey.

Is Phil Simms a Patriot homer? He said Maroney has 'all the skills to be one of the best running backs in the NFL".

If he actually said that he is just being accurate about Laurence's skillset. He isn't proclaiming that Laurence has realized his skills yet, and there is a difference.

He's a project and he might come through. I doubt that first round picks are supposed to be projects though, especially at that position.

He's supposed to be a great kid. I hope he makes it. I hope he sheds this lack of confidence that Brady said he's carrying around. It's certainly possible, and it would be nice to see some more consistent performances going down the stretch.

My hunch is that he probably gained confidence Sunday, and that it may carry over. I don't have a big problem with seeing what happens. I just think it's beneficial to always state accurately where I think a guy is in his development. In his case he's "coming along" at best, and way behind first round status at worst.

I was happy for LoMo to finally get going. I was esp. happy to see him get it in that kinda game.

That is good. I didn't see the game. If there is anything I want out of him it's to run hard and pound it out. What we need is not a game breaker, but a balance to the passing game, and an attitude up front when we want to push people around. It's hard to imagine the OL getting into that groove with somebody who is avoiding contact.

That is good. I didn't see the game. If there is anything I want out of him it's to run hard and pound it out. What we need is not a game breaker, but a balance to the passing game, and an attitude up front when we want to push people around. It's hard to imagine the OL getting into that groove with somebody who is avoiding contact.

Wow, you really don't understand this team at all, do you?

Last edited:
Maroney is getting better and better. He's had no fumbles, dances less in the backfield, is hitting the hole harder and is getting better on pass protection. By the time his running instincts fully mature, he'll be a nightmare for defenses. Furthermore, when he grows more into his frame, I hope he's still playing for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes