PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's the move you want to see before the season starts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are wildly overblowing LaFell's size, and combining that with a need at the TE position.

I guess it also has to do with TEs like Graham making the TE parts of the TE possition look secondary to the receiving stats. But those guys are still bigger and taller than LaFell. Kellen Winslow II isn't huge, but he still has two inches and thirty pounds on LaFell.

I don't understand where the idea of LaFell being a 'move' TE came from.
Volin says LaFell lined up at tight end in offseason workouts and wrote an article about it, and all of the national aggregators took notice. Everybody else who was watching these workouts says LaFell at tight end never happened.

Volin says LaFell lined up at tight end in offseason workouts and wrote an article about it, and all of the national aggregators took notice. Everybody else who was watching these workouts says LaFell at tight end never happened.

I have had doubts about Ben Volin ever since he botched the Alfonzo Dennard assault story.

I have had doubts about Ben Volin ever since he botched the Alfonzo Dennard assault story.
To be frank, I don't pay his work much attention other than to give it a quick gloss over. The quality of Bedard's Patriots reporting and analysis has dropped off significantly with Volin (so much so that it's almost unreadable).

He was also the one during SB week throwing out the Gronk for Fitzgerald trade rumours.....

He sucks!

I don't understand where the idea of LaFell being a 'move' TE came from. I get the speculation of Browner at safety (even though I think that is years away). LaFell is a decent sized WR, but an extremely undersized TE of any kind. He's 6'2" and 210. A "move" TE will play in the backfield, end of the line, in the slot and out wide. That's the point, they have versatile skills that translate well to any of those spots due to their size/strength, athletic ability and receiving/blocking skills. Not just because they are tall, quick and can catch. If LaFell played on the end of the line, he'd likely get crushed. He may be able to play multiple WR spots but at the beginning and end of the day that's what he is. A WR. Hopefully a productive one at that.

The Lafell to TE rumor came from his old coach Ron Rivera during the NFL meeting saying how they used Lafell in Carolina, and mentioned he played a lot of snaps lined up as a TE, and was a great blocker.

Back on track guys bout moves to make while trades are allowed in 2014. Other than my blockbuster Carl Nicks I like to anticipate and be proactive. Not just in the draft but players with impact talent who have yet to breakout due to lack of opportunity/coaches doghouse/bad teams/bad coaching and schemes/ teams with no work ethic or motivation or used in a wrong routesThings like that. Or just a late bloomer. I like WRs Denarius Moore/Brian Quick/ AJ Jenkins. AT LEAST one of those guys will break out. Add either to our other young talented WRs and we have the most impressive lineup of explosive young WRs in the league. I don't. Know the politics yet but I watched his highlights including his week 17 start. And he explodes off the line,has explosive quick footwork in his cuts and settling out of roots. He is very fluid and plucks with his hands athletically. He also has an extra gear both deep and accelerating through routes after initial 5\10 yards. Had it not been for a safety playing unusually deep he would have scored as he was pulling away and outrunning angles of multiple tacklers. His footwork reminds of a young chad. With Brady and our work ethic/motivation he could really break out. I like him as much as Kenbrell. Our Kenbrell who is training 8-12 hrs day,running 100 routes/gauntlets a day and doing various yoga/pilate style stretching and trx training many hymnists and martial artists are doing. When he gets to training camp to perfect his routes and timing his raw skills goals are a sub 4.4 40 and over 36" vertical and 11' broad to measure his strides made in quickness/speed,and lower body and core flexibility and explosion. I don't even think jerry rice worked as hard as he has been. He is my breakout player pick. I think he breaks out like his cousin Antonio Brown who got him started on some of his training. I know its just minicamp but Browner and some other DBs were visibly frustrated at Kenbrell consistently beating him even when he had some help on Kenbrell. He will be a beast.

Grammar_Natzee__Wall_O___Text_by_dinyctis.jpg

OK then, NOW BACK TO THE USELESS LAFELL BEING A MOVE TE DISCUSSION! Just when I didn't think anything could be worse than Lafell the WR. Or how about a role for Will Smith!! I can even take the xtra minute writing it so the grammer is flawless to make it that much more interesting and exciting. Im getting goosebumps from potential. Forgive me for expressing some ideas that could actually make a difference and get this team back over that hump with a trophy on the other side.

No ****. Was being sarcastic how it was spelled in the quote.

BtW I know I ramble. But its usually about upside. If we are to put the last 10 teams behind us I think its important to find upside and develop it. We get the player(s) cheap in trades or fa and its like a draft steal. Just as important. I'm not for hoping we do better with the same limitations with no upside to improve. Like Wendall and Connolly are suddenly going to stop caving in.

Payton Manning announces he's done playing football and has retired

People are wildly overblowing LaFell's size, and combining that with a need at the TE position.

He's 6'2, 210, who has suggested otherwise?

I think there is confusion between the position the player plays and the role the player has in the offense. LaFell very well could have a similar role in the offense to Hernandez. That does not mean he is a tight end.

Look at the Patriots offensive diagram.

colts-sets.png

Hernandez was “A” and Gronkowski was “Y” with Welker at “Z” and an outside WR at “X”. It is conservable that LaFell takes on the responsibilities at “A” making the offense –

X – Dobson
Z – Edelman
Y – Gronkowski
A – LaFell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back