PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's the deal with Ghost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you mean Vinatieri wouldn't miss in a big game? Like a Super Bowl?

Yes he miss them and a bunch of regular season ones too, but he won us superbowls with game winning kicks. I said ghost is a good kicker, he's actually really good, but it's just when it's really matters in not too confident he'll make it. I am not a chicken little it's just my observation

In the SB against Carolina Adam missed a 31 yarder and had a 36 yarder blocked. He also missed a 32 yarder against KC in 1999 at the buzzer that would have resulted in a one point win.

I know the deal with ghost!

He's slicing to the right. He needs to kick a little to the left.

I know the deal with ghost!

He's slicing to the right. He needs to kick a little to the left.

mj9k6.jpg

;)

Not sure how much practice matters to Ghost at this point, but, one possibility is the added effort/practice in kicking it to the goal line on kickoffs (but not into the end zone) due to the new rule may be taking time away from practicing FG kicking.... dunno, maybe that's having an effect.

Obviously totally hypothetical and idk if this would even matter, but a possibility.

He missed in the AFCCG, this preseason and two during the regular season. I'm not ready either to call it a decline, but its almost like that miss in the AFCCG has caused an internal battle issue.
I posted about a possible mental "stain" in the preseason. Like you, I'm not ready to jump too hard on the Gost decline train, but there's definitely something going on. I find myself getting nervous on FG attempts now, and I can't really remember the last time that has been the case. It's starting to remind me a lot of Nick Anderson (for those who know '90s basketball). He was never the same after missing something like four consecutive free throws that really ended up being why the Magic lost the series (though I forget who they were playing). It shook him for the rest of his career. Again, I'm not saying that's Gost . . . but it bears watching.

Carpenter (who is pretty good) also missed a kick from similar range.

Ghost is still awesome, his Kick-offs have been spectacular all season. I don't think the misses are related by any psychological affliction, such as lack of confidence.
It was a wrong coach's decision in the 4th Qtr of the AFCCG which denied him the chance to make up for the missed XP: within easily makeable FG range and foolishly and unsuccessfully going for it, and thereby needlessly losing the game and the title.

He does need to focus on mechanics, routine and game conditions. Perhaps most important, ignoring potential distractions. I am confident that he can and will do it.

It was a wrong coach's decision in the 4th Qtr of the AFCCG which denied him the chance to make up for the missed XP: within easily makeable FG range and foolishly and unsuccessfully going for it, and thereby needlessly losing the game and the title.

He does need to focus on mechanics, routine and game conditions. Perhaps most important, ignoring potential distractions. I am confident that he can and will do it.

Agree. There were so many things that went wrong that game - it just so happens that we give Belichick a pass for making the mistakes he made. Not his best coaching day IMO

What a bunch of revisionist crap.. As if Vinateri didn't miss any important field goals in his career that fortunately for him didn't affect the ultimate outcome..

People still view Adam V as the "savior" of the superbowl against the Panthers when in reality he missed his first 2 kicks in that game that were very makeable, if he hits either one of them Brady is kneeling to victory instead of having to put together yet another SB winning drive

I am not worried about Gost at all, but after hyperventilating for over five minutes with laughter and showing my wife and daughter, and with apologies to Deus Irae,

16664f99bbdc97fbf3b9564.gif

My theory:
The low pressure, automatic extra point has been replaced by a medium pressure, mid distance kick...in essence more than doubling real pressure situations for Ghost and all kickers.
A look at the numbers:
In 2015, Ghost made 52/52 EPs ....3.25 EPs per game ....and 33/36 FGs.... 2.25 FGs attempts per game.
That's 5.5 medium to high pressure kicks per game under these new rules...an increase of about 60% compared to the chip shot EP era
Now that the EP is no longer automatic, kicker must devote considerable ( if not most ) practice time to one specific distance taking away time previously devoted to all ranges ( IMO).
Let's not forget the special teams practice time devoted to the short kickoffs that NE is in love in. Ghost's plate has gotten very full.
Summation:
Every kick is now hard and regression / erratic performance will likely be the new norm.

Whats weird is he has some odd movement halfway through the kick and the balls push out to the right. Noticed it in preseason and a few this year during games.

He needs a redemption game just like this day

PATS102112-600x439.jpg

If he had missed one of those kicks he would have been done here.

He missed 2 all season in 2014. Only 3 all of last year too.

If it's a problem from that AFCCG then I hope he can get his head straight quickly. We are not a SB contender with an unreliable Ghost.
He has already matched his miss total from last season. One of this season's misses is a 39 yarder so it's a little concerning. In 2012, Ghost struggled a bit too, if I recall, but he pulled himself out of it.

SMH.. OMG.. He missed an 48 yard field goal. The world is ending.. He sucks. Bring on Robbie Gould..

Seriously people. WTF are you all thinking! 48 yard field goals in the rain are no gimmee. Acting like it's a 22 yard chip shot that he shanked wide right by 10 yards instead of by a foot is just laughable.

What's that you were saying?

Guess we were all imagining it

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results