PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What's the deal with Ghost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you HAD a confidence issue, and Bill called you in to "chat" about your misses, do you really think you'd be able to avoid breaking down under questioning? You'd end up begging to be cut.

Knowing me, I'd likely tell him straight up if it was costing the team. I'd try to keep my job though!

Missed field goal are always a pain in the butt. Why? Because if it's a short kick, you ruined a long successful drive and possibly changed the momentum. And if it's a long missed kick, you give the opposition great field position, and again risk a change a momentum.

Thus the motivation for this discussion makes sense even though in another sense it does not because it comes too early.

People need to chill

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Wow. That's incredible.
A coach that won two Super Bowls and guided a college program to national dominance did the same thing so I'm not sure how incredible it is. You would want to keep a kicker with confidence issues? That's even more incredible.

A coach that won two Super Bowls and guided a college program to national dominance did the same thing so I'm not sure how incredible it is. You would want to keep a kicker with confidence issues? That's even more incredible.

And exactly who would be the upgrade on a Ghost with confidence issues ? And what happens if he shanks a kick in his first game ?

And exactly who would be the upgrade on a Ghost with confidence issues ? And what happens if he shanks a kick in his first game ?
You should read the entire thread. Go back and read every single one of my posts very quickly. I made a point earlier in the thread specifically about Gost that you may find interesting.

You should read the entire thread. Go back and read every single one of my posts very quickly. I made a point earlier in the thread specifically about Gost that you may find interesting.

Read through it again and don't see anything that is relevant at all to my point.

You said if it is a confidence issue he should be cut immediately. Lets say it is a confidence issues, who exactly to you hire as a replacement for him ? And again, what do you think will happen to the confidence on that player if he shanks a FG after replacing an all-pro type player ?

Unless a kicker is totally ****ting the bed to the point where you rather go on 4th down than kick a FG, the best time to move on from kickers is imho the offseason. Anything else places a vast amount of pressure on the replacement who in our situation would anyway already be a downgrade (just in terms of raw ability).

Again, let me emphasize: I understand that you are not saying we should get rid of Ghost because you don't believe its a confidence issue but I am just playing devil's advocate with your point of getting rid of him in case it were.

Read through it again and don't see anything that is relevant at all to my point.

You said if it is a confidence issue he should be cut immediately. Lets say it is a confidence issues, who exactly to you hire as a replacement for him ? And again, what do you think will happen to the confidence on that player if he shanks a FG after replacing an all-pro type player ?

Unless a kicker is totally ****ting the bed to the point where you rather go on 4th down than kick a FG, the best time to move on from kickers is imho the offseason. Anything else places a vast amount of pressure on the replacement who in our situation would anyway already be a downgrade (just in terms of raw ability).

Again, let me emphasize: I understand that you are not saying we should get rid of Ghost because you don't believe its a confidence issue but I am just playing devil's advocate with your point of getting rid of him in case it were.
If any kicker of mine said he was missing kicks because of confidence, I either go to the street and find a free agent or I pull the trigger on a trade. So much of kicking is pure confidence in yourself that, should that cofidence be gone, you cannot trust that kicker in big game situations. When the chips are down, you want someone with confidence in themselves and their abilities. That's part of what has made Brady the GOAT at the quarterback position: his unwavering confidence in himself. It's also the reason why Johnson famously cut his kicker the day he told Johnson that the confidence wasn't there anymore. The Cowboys of that season were also Super Bowl contenders.

Anyway, in the end, "do your job" is Belichick's mantra. A kicker missing kicks due to lack of confidence is incapable of doing his job.

Last edited:
My confidence in him still hasn't really recovered from the missed PAT in the AFCCG. And his performance since then has not been reassuring.

But than I look at some of the garbage other teams have to deal with at kicker. Gost may not be delivering on the big contract he was signed to, but it could be a lot worse.
Yeah, well I am happy to have Gostkowski but I agree about that PAT in Denver. It seems to get downplayed, in large part because it was a team loss but can't shake the fact that we are almost certainly in overtime if he hits it.

He's missed a few recently, and especially the shanked game clincher against Miami. He seems to be in a bit of a slump where his FG game is concerned. I would like to see him nail some of those fourth quarter kicks to feel reassured.

I for one feel that all coaching staffs should have a kicker psychologist. Just put them out there with the medical doctors. ;)

It's a situation we haven't been in a long time, Ghost is always in the top kickers conversation, but if you look around the league even a down Ghost is still better than Blairs Walshs of life, jeezz that guy will trigger a heart attack in someone in the stands someday, especially in the playoffs as the Vikings is almost guaranteed to win that division.

It's not like he is shanking a bunch of chip shots here or anything, he missed a 48 harder and one other kick

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I think it would be worse if he was really confident, but couldn't kick.

Yeah, well I am happy to have Gostkowski but I agree about that PAT in Denver. It seems to get downplayed, in large part because it was a team loss but can't shake the fact that we are almost certainly in overtime if he hits it.

And if only Brady doesn't throw that stupid, brainfart interception we would have won the game without overtime. And if only Jamie Collins could have stayed on Owen Daniels they would have scored fewer points. And if only our OL wasn't totally outmatched and Brady had more time to find his receivers we would have won the game.

And for fun's sake another Brady one.. It seems to get downplayed, in large because it was a team loss but can't shake the fact that we are almost certainly in overtime if Brady see's Gronk open on the 2pt conversion.

A team loss is called a team loss for a reason.

He's missed a few recently, and especially the shanked game clincher against Miami. He seems to be in a bit of a slump where his FG game is concerned. I would like to see him nail some of those fourth quarter kicks to feel reassured.

Like his three clutch kicks (48, 53, <40) just 3 weeks ago against freaking Arizona ? Has it really been that long or does it simply not fit the dumb PAT - confidence narrative ? Who cares that he was AFC special teams player of the week in W1.. lets just ignore that and go over 8 months back to connect some dots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST