PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WhatIfSports predicts the AFC East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secondary? You do realize that in '04 we resorted to playing a wide receiver at CB, with a second-year 4th round CB (Samuel) starting alongside an undrafted rookie (Randall Gay), yeah? And Eugene Wilson was starting at safety as a second-year guy. Rodney Harrison really held it all together for us that year, but once Law went down secondary definitely became the glaring weakness. Compared to that group, I'm pretty confident in the secondary that the Pats are trotting out in 2009.

I'll readily concede that we're weaker at LB, and as a result weaker overall on D, but I think you're exaggerating the scale of it a bit.

I'm not saying the 2004 secondary was superior, just that the 2009 unit is nothing to get excited about.

I'm not saying the 2004 secondary was superior, just that the 2009 unit is nothing to get excited about.

Shawn Springs, Leigh Bodden, Wheatley, Wilhite (who was looking good at the end of last year), and Darius Butler who is supposed to be pretty damn good (and looks it). Not to mention a heavy hitter like Chung who will probably come in to start sooner than we think. What's not to get excited about?

Secondary? You do realize that in '04 we resorted to playing a wide receiver at CB, with a second-year 4th round CB (Samuel) starting alongside an undrafted rookie (Randall Gay), yeah? And Eugene Wilson was starting at safety as a second-year guy. Rodney Harrison really held it all together for us that year, but once Law went down secondary definitely became the glaring weakness. Compared to that group, I'm pretty confident in the secondary that the Pats are trotting out in 2009.

I'll readily concede that we're weaker at LB, and as a result weaker overall on D, but I think you're exaggerating the scale of it a bit.

I'm getting tired of hearing this argument because it's weak. It worked for one season and that is it. It was a fluke. Every year, the league is getting bigger, strong and faster so you can't pull that s*** anymore. Their secondary in 2005 was awful, 2006 was better, 2007 was good until the last drive of the super bowl and 2008 was 2005 all over again. The only way you can get away with having a s**** secondary is having an insane pass rush. The Pats don't have that.

Because the Pats haven't had anybody 6'0 or above in their secondary for the last 10 years, it's exciting for Pats fans. In fact, we are used to seeing midget corners and guys off the street start in the secondary. Also, since 2004, the Pats have DB's have had to play off the line of scrimmage by 5-10 yards because they can't jam anybody. With what I'm hearing about Shawn Springs and Leigh Bodden, they can jam people. Lastly, the Pats added a hitter in Chung and a potential #3 CB in Butler.

Last edited:
Shawn Springs, Leigh Bodden, Wheatley, Wilhite (who was looking good at the end of last year), and Darius Butler who is supposed to be pretty damn good (and looks it). Not to mention a heavy hitter like Chung who will probably come in to start sooner than we think. What's not to get excited about?

Being a Dolphins fan

it had chad pennington throwing for 1800 yards... and winning 9 games i wouldnt give any credibility to this..

I'm getting tired of hearing this argument because it's weak. It worked for one season and that is it. It was a fluke. Every year, the league is getting bigger, strong and faster so you can't pull that s*** anymore. Their secondary in 2005 was awful, 2006 was better, 2007 was good until the last drive of the super bowl and 2008 was 2005 all over again. The only way you can get away with having a s**** secondary is having an insane pass rush. The Pats don't have that.

You might want to try actually reading my post before making a misguided attempt to tear it apart. WR said that the 2004 secondary was superior to 2009's. I countered by explaining that the 2004 secondary was actually the team's biggest weakness.

So, to paraphrase, you called my argument weak then proceeded to agree with it. Nice work.

It's the chicken and the egg, the ying and the yang. Everything is complimentary towards one another. Better defensive backs creates more time for the pass rush to step up. Better pass rush creates rushed throws enabling corners to make a play. To say one of the other is more important is ridiculous.

There's only 1 true difference making position that can be soley reliant upon the skills of that person. How Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl is beyond me.

Last edited:
There's only 1 true difference making position that can be soley reliant upon the skills of that person. How Trent Dilfer won a Superbowl is beyond me.

Surprisingly, Dilfer's SB game contribution was better than Ben Rthlsbrgr's 1st SB win where he posted a QB rating of 22. The officiating had a bit to do with Pitt's win that day.

So, to paraphrase, you called my argument weak then proceeded to agree with it. Nice work.

Sorry if it didn't relate to your argument, but everybody makes the same claim when the Pats don't sign "big name" free agents or draft defense in the first couple of rounds. In particular, a common phrase on this board is "if they can get by with Troy Brown, that earth wind and fire guy, Hank Poteat and Randall Gay, they can get by with anybody". I'm not saying your argument is weak, I'm saying that argument is weak in general. The Pats have had an inconsistent secondary since and look where they are now. People defend BB when he has s*** secondary (2005 and 2008), s*** LB's and say the stupid phrase "In Bill we trust". Also, WR didn't say 2004 was superior, he said 2009's secondary wasn't any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL RECAP
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft