PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sports Illustrated has the Pats winning the AFC East

Last year was the antithesis of what Ken describes in his point 3, first quote. I think that the setup with Judge/Patricia was doomed before it started, with all the second guessing and sniping at Bill‘s decision making to put them in charge that started even before training camp opened. Players were predisposed to question, not buy in, and even the slightest issue was magnified and things snowballed out of control. It didn’t help that there were lots of major issues. Result was the entire team did not buy into their coaching, checked out, and freelanced with sandlot plays like that Meyers lateral fiasco. (And can you believe folks wanted to keep him after that reversion to Pop Warner?)

Biggest question I see for this year is not OL or lack of WR talent or any of the usual questions. It is whether players buy into their coaching. I’d expect that locker room chemistry will be a big factor in roster building. Thinking about it, I wonder if Hopkins is a dead issue just because of his fraught history with BOB and the attendant risk that their relationship would be shaky when the team needs rock solid alignment between players and coaches. In the same vein I’ll be interested to see how much leash BOB and BB give Bourne after he was reportedly a ringleader in the dissent last year. Likewise, Jack Jones will be another interesting player to watch. I expect early training camp cuts will likely include a lot of housecleaning, cutting players whose attitudes aren’t buying into the Patriot Way element of belief in their coaches.
I appreciate your opinion, BUT..... I think you VASTLY overstated the lack of coaching and the attitude of the team. This was a team that too often performed sloppily, but it was NOT a team that was in disarray. It won 8 games for god's sake. It was a record that was not up to OUR high standards, but given your description of it that was a lot of wins. I think the defense was FULLY bought in, and they played like it. The offense clearly wasn't effective enough to get to the playoffs, BUT there were other issues beyond just coaching that played into that regression.

When Bill announced his decision to use Patricia and Judge to run the offense I had my misgivings like many did here, BUT I also knew that good coaches can coach any position. Bill was a defensive genius but never played a down of defense in college. Josh was a pretty good QB coach, who never played the position and came into the organization as a defensive assistant. You can go on for hours about coaches who SUCCESSFULLY coached positions they were personally unfamiliar with.

I also believe, at the time, that they were a holding action to fill in until BOB arrived. It's just my inference from all the evidence. But if it had gone smoothly, then Patricia would now be the OL coach and Judge and offensive assistant. Clearly it didn't work out and Patricia is gone and Judge seems to be back with ST's. Was it a mistake to wait for BOB, only time will tell. I don't think last year's team was going to compete for a Superbowl, but I did think it would make the playoffs....and they almost did.

Do you have a right to complain. Damned right. But was it as bad as you portrayed?....I don't think so. Now we will just have to see if the wait was worth the cost.

afce will be wild. I still have the Bills up there and Miami is legit. Our schedule is a gauntlet.

But we didn’t give up after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. Can’t give up after last season.

Plus we know we have the zappe bomb ready to unleash if needed :D
Calm Down Kevin Bacon GIF by Puffin Graphic Design

Leave RF02 alone - he's rolling.
This is the same guy that said Wes Welker "disappeared" in the playoffs. LMAO

You're hurting my feelings!

(it's okay)

I know it's OK because I know you're an optimist at heart. A very uncool thing to be around here, unfortunately. :(

When Bill announced his decision to use Patricia and Judge to run the offense I had my misgivings like many did here, BUT I also knew that good coaches can coach any position. Bill was a defensive genius but never played a down of defense in college. Josh was a pretty good QB coach, who never played the position and came into the organization as a defensive assistant. You can go on for hours about coaches who SUCCESSFULLY coached positions they were personally unfamiliar with.

I also believe, at the time, that they were a holding action to fill in until BOB arrived. It's just my inference from all the evidence.
Nope. The plan was to have Matt and Joe be successful. BOB was never the ultimate plan. You said yourself, a good coach can coach any position (I don't agree). That's what BB believed and he expected his guys to do the job. They did a piss poor job. If anything, BOB was Plan B...and even that's a stretch.

I appreciate your opinion, BUT..... I think you VASTLY overstated the lack of coaching and the attitude of the team. This was a team that too often performed sloppily, but it was NOT a team that was in disarray. It won 8 games for god's sake. It was a record that was not up to OUR high standards, but given your description of it that was a lot of wins. I think the defense was FULLY bought in, and they played like it. The offense clearly wasn't effective enough to get to the playoffs, BUT there were other issues beyond just coaching that played into that regression.

I also believe, at the time, that they were a holding action to fill in until BOB arrived. It's just my inference from all the evidence. But if it had gone smoothly, then Patricia would now be the OL coach and Judge and offensive assistant. Clearly it didn't work out and Patricia is gone and Judge seems to be back with ST's. Was it a mistake to wait for BOB, only time will tell. I don't think last year's team was going to compete for a Superbowl, but I did think it would make the playoffs....and they almost did.

Do you have a right to complain. Damned right. But was it as bad as you portrayed?....I don't think so. Now we will just have to see if the wait was worth the cost.
I'm not sure i agree. Last year was a total ****show on offense from day one and the difference is already obvious this year even after just one day of public OTAs. Mac subtly alluded to how normal this year is and that everyone is on the same page which wasn't the case last year. The line was a disaster including switching the tackles which at no point looked remotely like it was going to work and the OC was also the O Line coach which seems totally unworkable. I don't think it's possible to overstate how much this affected the team and the record overall.

Predictions are a waste of time.
Aye. You are spot on. Nothing weird (or even normal for that matter) happens during the course of every single NFL season:

"Allen hurt in unicycle crash"

"Rodgers indicted in illegal ****atoo fighting ring"

"Hill quits football for power walking Olympic bid."

"Tagovailoa gets experimental new dura mater transplant."

"Jackson Mahomes' suspected in bizarre kidnapping for ransom plot of more famous brother."

"Burrows opens Zihuatanejo smoothie bar as first franchise in planned 'worldwide empire'."

Ultimately, the Patriots could lose most games, win most games, or come out somewhere in the middle. None of us have any clue as to the actual outcome - why bother watching otherwise?

If we won the raiders game we were in playoffs.

We lost 3 games due to special teams last season. That doesn't happen usually.

So despite the crappy coaching we were 1 game away from playoffs. So yes we might not have won Deepak but it was a middling team and not something terrible.

This season we are eliminating weaknesses

1. Patricia replaced with BoB
  2. Cam achord replaced with Judge
  3. Got a true offensive line coach to stabilize the line.
  4. Jonnu replaced with gisecki
Thornton possible second year leap into wr1/wr2
Got a CB1 who can make the rest of defense lethal in gonzo
Keoin white to help in depth for the pass rush

A tantalizing slot prospect in demario who opens up the passing game like never before.

Other teams have improved as well, but show me a better grounded and deep team in defense and ST than us.

If the other teams defense is not excellent it automatically elevates our middle tier offense . Coaching was a big problem last season on offense and this season it seems to be on track. Not to mention the added drive this year will haveon mac due to the off-season questions and it being a make or break year for him. Overall most exciting season since 2020.

If we won the raiders game we were in playoffs.

We lost 3 games due to special teams last season. That doesn't happen usually.

So despite the crappy coaching we were 1 game away from playoffs. So yes we might not have won Deepak but it was a middling team and not something terrible.

This season we are eliminating weaknesses

1. Patricia replaced with BoB
  2. Cam achord replaced with Judge
  3. Got a true offensive line coach to stabilize the line.
  4. Jonnu replaced with gisecki
Thornton possible second year leap into wr1/wr2
Got a CB1 who can make the rest of defense lethal in gonzo
Keoin white to help in depth for the pass rush

A tantalizing slot prospect in demario who opens up the passing game like never before.

Other teams have improved as well, but show me a better grounded and deep team in defense and ST than us.

If the other teams defense is not excellent it automatically elevates our middle tier offense . Coaching was a big problem last season on offense and this season it seems to be on track. Not to mention the added drive this year will haveon mac due to the off-season questions and it being a make or break year for him. Overall most exciting season since 2020.
Great post. Would add:
- new kicker: slightly improved FG's & XP's, huge upgrade on kickoffs
- new punter: killed us last year
- not only Thornton, but also Parker and Bourne should have much better seasons
- either Montgomery or Strong will emerge as a great 3rd down back
- Keion White looks special, and Mapu as well

Plus just the x factor of team motivation. They know they're good and will be out to prove that now that they have their house in order.

Great post. Would add:
- new kicker: slightly improved FG's & XP's, huge upgrade on kickoffs
- new punter: killed us last year
- not only Thornton, but also Parker and Bourne should have much better seasons
- either Montgomery or Strong will emerge as a great 3rd down back
- Keion White looks special, and Mapu as well

Plus just the x factor of team motivation. They know they're good and will be out to prove that now that they have their house in order.
Don't get the Montgomery love. He's been thoroughly mediocre his entire career. He had one halfway decent year and that was 7 years ago.

I'm not sure i agree. Last year was a total ****show on offense from day one and the difference is already obvious this year even after just one day of public OTAs. Mac subtly alluded to how normal this year is and that everyone is on the same page which wasn't the case last year. The line was a disaster including switching the tackles which at no point looked remotely like it was going to work and the OC was also the O Line coach which seems totally unworkable. I don't think it's possible to overstate how much this affected the team and the record overall.
No doubt, O. BUT they still with **** show you think it was they managed to win 8 games and should have won a couple more. But here's the thing. THAT **** show (if it makes you feel better calling it that or any other derogatory metaphor) is over. A new year with a different roster, new players, different team chemistry (which is undetermined at this point) new coaches, etc. Just like almost every other season.

The point is that every new season brings a new dynamic. This is a team with a VERY tough schedule, so they will have to win a LOT of close games. To be able to do that, it will need to be very disciplined, mentally tough and make fewer mistakes than the other guy. It will take a total TEAM effort in all 3 areas if this is to be a winning team.

For all I know it could be a **** show again, (which make a sizable portion of board members, for some odd reason VERY happy. :eek: )or it could be a very exciting season. The only thing know for certain at this point is I DON'T know what will all happen. I'm also kind of happy I can put on my Rodney Harrison face and be the pissed off underdog for a change. ;)

Don't get the Montgomery love. He's been thoroughly mediocre his entire career. He had one halfway decent year and that was 7 years ago.
I agree with the sentiment but think that mediocre is being kind. Firkser has had a more productive career to date and he's considered by many to be a fringe player not likely to make the team.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back