PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What the Pats want for Mallet according to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanchez will go down as one of my favorite QBs of all time, for the butt fumble alone. Comedic genius. :D

I always have that special .gif ready to drop....

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6670-1353640779-0.gif

OT, I know BUT...really, even if you have no feelings about the Jets one way or the other..are those NOT the fugliest uniforms worn in ANY sport anywhere? Just bleaah green puke and white....like they told some wino "hey, come up with a uniform the brings Jets to mind"...fail....massive ever fail

I don't see how Mallet is worth a second rounder at all. He has shown a strong arm in preseason but that is about it. Perhaps there is something I haven't seen in training camp or whatever. I would be ecstatic if we somehow landed a second for him.

Unless Brady goes down we wont need him for another 2-3 years. He would be a nice fill in if the worst case scenario arises but otherwise I would ship him away for a second w/no regrets...unless we drafted another Tavon Wilson-eque player with that pick.

I think the Pats most likely will get a 3rd or 4th round pick for Mallett if he is traded. However, I have not ruled out the Pats getting a second round pick for him.

I think the Pats most likely will get a 3rd or 4th round pick for Mallett if he is traded. However, I have not ruled out the Pats getting a second round pick for him.

Covered all the bases. Good one, bro!

Here's a scenario, assuming BOB likes Mallett enough to offer value:

• Texans want Clowney but decide that they can't go into 2014 with their current QB roster
  • Texans offer to swap positions in round 2 and 3 in exchange for Mallett (The trade chart equivalent of trading pick #47 to the Patriots)
  • Texans get Clowney and Mallett, and keep all their picks, while the Patriots move up into position to get both the TE and DL in the top 33, and they'd be in great position to grab an interio OL at the top of round 3
  • Texans get one year tryout with Mallett and can sell their fans on having the ability to draft a QB in a better year for them (2015), if needed

Ecstatic is the word that would come to mind for me as a Patriots fan, and it doesn't screw over the Texans in the deal.

Last season Belichick traded the #29 overall pick for #52, #83, #102, and #229, that netted the Vikings a wide receiver. You are suggesting that we trade a potential franchise QB to exchange draft picks in rounds 2 and 3. I am not saying it is not a creative idea, it is and I commend you on constructing it but it would never happen, Belichick is not going to trade a top 20 talent from the 2011 draft who has done nothing to indicate he could not play QB at a high level in the NFL for upgraded picks. Belichick would want to benefit in the form of a player or additional pick.

Keep in mind that if Mallett is gone we have to replace him, which means a draft pick or salary cap will have to be used in addition to the trade itself.

I have a question for you all – Is there a player slated to be available at #33 that offers the Texans more upside than Ryan Mallet could offer them?

Only the Krafts and Belichick can possibly know, so we are all just guessing.

It doesn't seem likely that the Pats will draft a potential replacement for Brady in April.

There also doesn't seem to be an FA on the horizon who could learn the system and be ready to go in the fall at a decent level.

TB might be the GOAT, but he is also turning 37 in August. While he's shown no sign that his skills are fading, such is unpredictable at best; a season ending injury is always possible.

So, my guess is that they won't be trading Mallett this year.

That's just my guess. You're entitled to your own.

OT, I know BUT...really, even if you have no feelings about the Jets one way or the other..are those NOT the fugliest uniforms worn in ANY sport anywhere? Just bleaah green puke and white....like they told some wino "hey, come up with a uniform the brings Jets to mind"...fail....massive ever fail

Not "OT" at all...you have clearly stated the argument as to why the Pats would NEVER trade Mallett for a whole bunch of Jests' uniforms! Very clever!

I KNEW I was a genius.....just not on this planet...

In the ground, 5 yards behind the receiver?

Ah the Mallett hater cousins! He was considered the best QB in the Draft by some. His"supposed" issues drove his value down.I have mentioned a second rounder for a month or two now and there was a bunch that said that was blasphemy.
His Senior Year:
GAMES ATTEMPTS COMP. PERCENTAGE YDS TD INT. QB RATE
QB 13 266 411 64.7 3869 32 12 163.6

This ain't chicken liver.

Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton. Kaepernick were drafted ahead of him in 2011. Newton and Kaepernick have done well. Dalton is o.k. so that is a pretty fair picture of that class. I could see why Mallett was considered as good as any of those because coming out Newton was a one year wonder, Kaepernick was from the less competitive WAC conference while Mallett was SEC and had the great numbers. Dalton played in a scheme and the rest had warts.

Even looking back, Mallet might still have the best arm.

How many wanted to ride Cassell out of town when he was a pre season flop? Put your hands up!
Matt has played some decent ball in spots when he got his chance. I think Mallett has more talent than Cassell.

Brett Farve was drafted in the second round by Atlanta. He threw the ball 4 times for Atlanta, He completed "0" , was intercepted twice and was sacked once and the Packers gave up a first round pick for him the next year.That worked well. Not saying Mallett is Farve, just that you can't judge talent by a small sampling.

Why bother taking a third for him if you seek higher value than where you picked Mallett, and none of these QBs in this Draft are Andrew Luck, because if he leaves you might get a 3rd round comp if he sits another year?
DW Toys

The hell with it...keep Mallett. If the Pats do not fortify the interior of their O line Brady is toast in the playoffs again anyway and will have to entertain retirement or moving on. Scar's gone. Why jettison the only QB besides Brady on the team that has operational experience?

Trade Mallett if it's a "wow!" deal...otherwise , stand pat

Last season Belichick traded the #29 overall pick for #52, #83, #102, and #229, that netted the Vikings a wide receiver. You are suggesting that we trade a potential franchise QB to exchange draft picks in rounds 2 and 3.
I agree that would be a bad trade for a potential franchise quarterback. However, it would be perfectly reasonable for Ryan Mallett.

the day the pats get a 2th round pick for Mallet will also be the day that Julian Edelman gets a contract for 8 million per year

Last season Belichick traded the #29 overall pick for #52, #83, #102, and #229, that netted the Vikings a wide receiver. You are suggesting that we trade a potential franchise QB to exchange draft picks in rounds 2 and 3. I am not saying it is not a creative idea, it is and I commend you on constructing it but it would never happen, Belichick is not going to trade a top 20 talent from the 2011 draft who has done nothing to indicate he could not play QB at a high level in the NFL for upgraded picks. Belichick would want to benefit in the form of a player or additional pick.

Keep in mind that if Mallett is gone we have to replace him, which means a draft pick or salary cap will have to be used in addition to the trade itself.

Gotta love Bill. We got Collins, Ryan, Boyce and Blount for Cordarrelle Patterson, Everett Dawkins and Jeff Demps. I'll take that trade all day.

the day the pats get a 2th round pick for Mallet will also be the day that Julian Edelman gets a contract for 8 million per year

I could see Houston sending us their 3rd (#65) for Mallet, but not their 2. As for Julian Ellsbury.....

Its funny because we all say we won't get anything more then a third for mallet, and maybe we shouldn't.

But here's something to think about, when Mallet was coming out he was viewed as a possible late first to second round pick in terms of talent. His issues or whatever dropped him to the third.

Mallet has stayed out of trouble and learned from the GOAT, and stable organization over the last 3 years.

Why shouldn't his value go up? He's never played a snap, but he never played a snap before he was viewed as a first round pick either, and now he has so much more knowledge.

I would't let him go for anything less then a second.

Mallet has learned from winners.
Mallet has stayed out of trouble and learned from the GOAT
I have to confess that this mentality baffles me. Does anyone think that Tom Brady is taking 2 seconds of his valuable time to help coach up Ryan Mallett? Oh, sure, when the media asks about it, they are the best of friends helping each other out left and right. But in reality, I doubt anything even remotely like that is going on.

Brady is too busy worrying about the Denver, NY, Miami, etc, defense than coaching the backup. Quite honestly, I don't want my starting QB to worry about the backup. I want him worried about the next game.

What evidence does anyone have that he is actually an NFL quarterback??

I don't know, maybe because he is an NFL quarterback and gets paid as one. He won the job as Brady's back-up and has kept it, under Belichick that is not an easy task, you are either continuing to improve and show you are ready to play or you are gone. Has he shown that he is a successful starting quarterback-no, but then again he hasn't had the chance, and I am not sure how someone can argue that Mallett isn't worth a second but Johnny Manziel and Co. are worth firsts, it's not like they have shown they can play in the NFL either.

Would Bill O'Brien decide that using the #33 for Mallett makes more sense than drafting a QB 1st overall, i have no idea, but I wouldn't be at all surprised by it as he may well decide that Mallett can step right in and run his system. On the other hand his experience with Mallett may be just the opposite and he may have seen enough to believe Mallett isn't the answer, we have no way of knowing, however we will know much more by the time the draft rolls around and the question will be answered one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News