PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What the Pats want for Mallet according to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a scenario, assuming BOB likes Mallett enough to offer value:

• Texans want Clowney but decide that they can't go into 2014 with their current QB roster
  • Texans offer to swap positions in round 2 and 3 in exchange for Mallett (The trade chart equivalent of trading pick #47 to the Patriots)
  • Texans get Clowney and Mallett, and keep all their picks, while the Patriots move up into position to get both the TE and DL in the top 33, and they'd be in great position to grab an interio OL at the top of round 3
  • Texans get one year tryout with Mallett and can sell their fans on having the ability to draft a QB in a better year for them (2015), if needed

Ecstatic is the word that would come to mind for me as a Patriots fan, and it doesn't screw over the Texans in the deal.

This is actually one of the more realistic scenario's I've seen, as long as people understand its ONLY plausible because BOB worked with Mallet for a few seasons.

NO other team would, at least in their right minds, trade anything more than a 4th for Mallet at this point.

That was Brian Hoyer. ;)

Well, scratch that off his Canton resume! hahaha...

Cousins has actually played in the regular season.

Cousins has also Won Regular Season NFL Games...Cousins has also looked alot better that Heralded #2 overall selection RGIII!

LOL, a second rounder, for what? Throwing 500 MPH fastballs into the dirt during the preseason? Good luck with that. I'd take a 6th for him at this point.
Agreed. I really think people need to realize that no would even offer a day 2 pick for Mallett right now.

• Texans want Clowney but decide that they can't go into 2014 with their current QB roster
  • Texans offer to swap positions in round 2 and 3 in exchange for Mallett (The trade chart equivalent of trading pick #47 to the Patriots)
  • Texans get Clowney and Mallett, and keep all their picks, while the Patriots move up into position to get both the TE and DL in the top 33, and they'd be in great position to grab an interio OL at the top of round 3
  • Texans get one year tryout with Mallett and can sell their fans on having the ability to draft a QB in a better year for them (2015), if needed

Ecstatic is the word that would come to mind for me as a Patriots fan, and it doesn't screw over the Texans in the deal.

Bullet point #2 is Waaaay too much for Mallet that would be the hesit of the decade. I don't think in our wildest dreams we think Mallet is worth that much.:nono:

Setting the price for a second round pick who has never played a meaningful or any NFL game is delusional or wishful thinking.

What evidence does anyone have that he is actually an NFL quarterback??
That's irrelevant because the same question is there for any QB those same teams would draft. The only issue for the the acquiring team is talent and the fact that they would need to make a decision faster on Mallett as he's a UFA after one year. Evidence that he's an NFL QB ? Same as Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Carr, McCarron and on and on.

Personally I love the fit in Minnesota. Norn Turner is the OC, he loves to throw downfield, Mallett to Patterson with Peterson in the backfield seems appealing. And they can use their #1 elsewhere.

Cousins has actually played in the regular season.

I know, if Mallett had appeared in five games this season and performed with – 52.3% completion percentage, 854 yards, 4 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, and a 58.4 rating imagine what we could get for him in a trade.:rolleyes:

Seriously though no messing around, if this was 2013 after Cousins performance as a rookie filling in for RGIII it would be a positive, with the larger sample size of Cousins it may of actually hurt his value.

- Sun 12/15|L 26-27|29|45|381|64.4|3|2|94.8
- Sun 12/22|L 23-24|21|36|197|58.3|1|1|71.2
- Sun 12/29|L 6-20|19|49|169|38.8|0|2|31.8

He did not really make the most of his showcase. The biggest issue is the more teams saw of him the worse he became.

Bullet point #2 is Waaaay too much for Mallet that would be the hesit of the decade. I don't think in our wildest dreams we think Mallet is worth that much.:nono:

Feel free to refer to the OP in order to understand where bullet point #2 came from, and then note my point about BOB's willingness to offer value.

I know, if Mallett had appeared in five games this season and performed with – 52.3% completion percentage, 854 yards, 4 touchdowns, 7 interceptions, and a 58.4 rating imagine what we could get for him in a trade.:rolleyes:

Seriously though no messing around, if this was 2013 after Cousins performance as a rookie filling in for RGIII it would be a positive, with the larger sample size of Cousins it may of actually hurt his value.

- Sun 12/15|L 26-27|29|45|381|64.4|3|2|94.8
- Sun 12/22|L 23-24|21|36|197|58.3|1|1|71.2
- Sun 12/29|L 6-20|19|49|169|38.8|0|2|31.8

He did not really make the most of his showcase. The biggest issue is the more teams saw of him the worse he became.

The Redskins were pretty bad last year. Cousins looked pretty good, much better than his stats indicate.

Reducing everything in football to stats will not get you anywhere. Watch the game, watch the players perform. Player stats can suffer for a number of reasons. Cousins looks pretty darn good.

I believe you read the proposal as their #2 and #3 for Mallett, the suggestion was their #2 and #3 for Mallett, our #2 and our #3. Which is really Mallett and our #3 for their #2 (as their 3 and our 2 are within a few picks of each other and esentially balance out).

This is the first Mallett to Houston trade I've seen that makes some sense for Houston. However, I still ask a similar question: Why not keep 1 and 33 and draft McCarron/Garoppolo at 65? If they end up sucking then the cap consequence to keep them for another year would be inconsequential anyway.

I do like the idea for Houston to go Clowney-Watt, and draft a low 2nd/3rd rd QB (or trade for Mallett), make him the starter, and if he sucks, get a top selection in a loaded 2015 QB draft class.

FYI, I'm a big Bridgewater/Manziel fan, but passing on Clowney-Watt is too much to draft one of them.

So why is Mallett a better 1 year experiment than a QB drafted at 65?

The Redskins were pretty bad last year. Cousins looked pretty good, much better than his stats indicate.

Reducing everything in football to stats will not get you anywhere. Watch the game, watch the players perform. Player stats can suffer for a number of reasons. Cousins looks pretty darn good.

Also the reason for the fall out in DC is that Mike Rat-face-Shananon preferred Cousins over the second coming.

The other thing to keep in mind is Mallett's age. He will be 26 in June. If we hope that Brady puts in, say, 3 more good years, Mallett would take over at 29 and play for how long? 10 years? That would make him 39 at the end of that 10 years.

This is the first Mallett to Houston trade I've seen that makes some sense for Houston. However, I still ask a similar question: Why not keep 1 and 33 and draft McCarron/Garoppolo at 65? If they end up sucking then the cap consequence to keep them for another year would be inconsequential anyway.

I do like the idea for Houston to go Clowney-Watt, and draft a low 2nd/3rd rd QB (or trade for Mallett), make him the starter, and if he sucks, get a top selection in a loaded 2015 QB draft class.

FYI, I'm a big Bridgewater/Manziel fan, but passing on Clowney-Watt is too much to draft one of them.

It boils down to this:

assuming BOB likes Mallett enough to offer value

I don't know BOB's thoughts on Mallett. I just see my scenario as a reasonable and fair trade for the guy if BOB does like him and the O.P. is accurate. Heck, from some of the mock drafts I've seen, the Texans could make this deal and still get McCarron.

Maybe Curran, or Reiss, will see this thread and comment on his perception of BOB's interest level in Mallett.

This is the first Mallett to Houston trade I've seen that makes some sense for Houston. However, I still ask a similar question: Why not keep 1 and 33 and draft McCarron/Garoppolo at 65?
I've never see Garapolo but being a 'Bama fan I can answer on McCarron - because he can't throw like Mallett. He can't throw anything close to Mallett. I like McCarron in some ways but they're not at all comparable.

The 1st pick of the 3rd round is more likely and work both ways.

The Texans can still grab 2 blue chips with their first 2 picks.

McCarron? Give me a break.

Most considered Mallett a great value pick at #74 in 2011 when the Patriots drafted him. Since arriving with the team, he has lost significant weight, improved a number of his mechanics, and beat out Brian Hoyer for the backup job after one season. Hoyer who was a starting QB in the NFL prior to injury last season and is projected as the week one starter next season currently.

• 2013 – 42/76, 55.3%, 447 yards, 3 touchdowns, 1 interception, 1 sack, 80.3 rating
• 2012 – 33/67, 49.3%, 300 yards, 3 touchdowns, 1 interception, 2 sacks, 70.5 rating
• 2011 – 36/63, 57.1%, 357 yards, 1 touchdown, 1 interception, 6 sacks, 72.0 rating

He has shown improvement on the field during the preseason if you look at his numbers above. The important thing is that he has addressed concerns about his mobility, after being sacked 6 times during the preseason as a rookie he has been sacked just 3 times in the next two preseasons.

My question is if he was considered a great pick at #74 what has he done in his tenure that he is not worthy of being traded for a second round draft pick? Seriously my peeps, Tavon Wilson was the 48th pick in the 2012 draft, are you really going to say that a player with all of Mallett’s talent coupled with the mentoring of Belichick, Brady and McDaniels is not worth the #33 pick in the draft? I get the first round pick not happening but most second round picks are rolls of the dice anyway, Geno Smith #39, I would trade for Mallett all day and twice on Sunday before I drafted Geno Smith at #39.

If we sign Matt Cassell, then I think there is a chance we trade Mallett.

The 1st pick of the 3rd round is more likely and work both ways.

The Texans can still grab 2 blue chips with their first 2 picks.

McCarron? Give me a break.

I would not trade him for anything less than #40 (the Vikings). We will receive a compensatory pick for him in 2015, which could be as high as a 4th if we just let him play out his rookie deal. We invested the #74 pick in 2011 into him, and I do not see the value in trading Mallett for what is essentially nine spots worth of value, and then spend $2M per to sign Cassel to backup Brady. That is not worth it.

Texans
Jaguars
Browns
Raiders
Vikings

Three of those teams will draft Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles. The Raiders already have two young QBs that actually have playing experience in Pryor/McGloin if they don't draft one of those three.

I just don't see where the market is for Mallett. If I'm a team in need of a QB, I would much rather one of the big 3 QBs on a cheap, 4 year rookie contract. I also would probably prefer Derek Carr at the top of the 2nd round making a million a year for four years than Mallett with 1 year left as well.

And don't forget Zach Mettenberger who is a Bit of a Mallett clone.

I can answer on McCarron - because he can't throw like Mallett. He can't throw anything close to Mallett.

In the ground, 5 yards behind the receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News