PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What the Pats want for Mallet according to

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we sign Matt Cassell, then I think there is a chance we trade Mallett.

There would be absolutely no reason for the former in the absence of the latter.

I would not trade him for anything less than #40 (the Vikings). We will receive a compensatory pick for him in 2015, which could be as high as a 4th if we just let him play out his rookie deal. We invested the #74 pick in 2011 into him, and I do not see the value in trading Mallett for what is essentially nine spots worth of value, and then spend $2M per to sign Cassel to backup Brady. That is not worth it.

Oy. :rolleyes:

(1) The comp pick comes the year after the player leaves. If Mallett plays out his rookie deal, he would leave in 2015, so the comp pick would be in 2016.

(2) It can go as high as a third.

(3) It is not guaranteed. [The Pats aren't getting anything for Welker because they signed Amendola.]

Also, if the Pats traded away Mallett, they would probably draft a replacement.

I don't expect a team should be willing to trade a secound round pick for Mallet, but I also don't think that's completely unrealistic either. Yes, the fact that he hasn't played in three years hurts him but at the same time teams are always giving up tons of picks for QB's and if Mallet was a first/second round talent years ago coming out of the draft, has learning behind Brady really hurt him any?
Another thing possibly working in his favor is that the current crop of top QB's coming out are just ok.

Another thing to consider though, is that Mallet will require a new deal. You either trade for him when he's only signed for one year or give him a bunch of money without knowing what he can do.

This is the first Mallett to Houston trade I've seen that makes some sense for Houston. However, I still ask a similar question: Why not keep 1 and 33 and draft McCarron/Garoppolo at 65? If they end up sucking then the cap consequence to keep them for another year would be inconsequential anyway.

I do like the idea for Houston to go Clowney-Watt, and draft a low 2nd/3rd rd QB (or trade for Mallett), make him the starter, and if he sucks, get a top selection in a loaded 2015 QB draft class.

FYI, I'm a big Bridgewater/Manziel fan, but passing on Clowney-Watt is too much to draft one of them.

So why is Mallett a better 1 year experiment than a QB drafted at 65?

I believe McCarron is projected to go in round two but overall your post makes sense. That team could win with a "game manager" if they selected Clowney and maybe a TE with the 33rd pick.

Unless Cassel has either completely misread the FA market for QBs, or decided that he'd rather sit on his ass for about $1m than compete for a starting job for more, he's not going to be in the Patriots pay range.

Texans
Jaguars
Browns
Raiders
Vikings

Three of those teams will draft Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles. The Raiders already have two young QBs that actually have playing experience in Pryor/McGloin if they don't draft one of those three.

I just don't see where the market is for Mallett. If I'm a team in need of a QB, I would much rather one of the big 3 QBs on a cheap, 4 year rookie contract. I also would probably prefer Derek Carr at the top of the 2nd round making a million a year for four years than Mallett with 1 year left as well.

The Texans will not be drafting another Carr to play QB for them. Not going to happen.

I didn't think anyone would trade a first rounder for Trent Richardson this year. So I think anything is possible.

I am not holding out a lot of hope for a second rounder, but I won't rule it out.

I didn't think anyone would trade a first rounder for Trent Richardson this year. So I think anything is possible.

I am not holding out a lot of hope for a second rounder, but I won't rule it out.

I believe Seattle once traded a second round pick for a man that played quarterback by the name of Charlie Whitehurst. So yes, it's certainly possible.

Maybe that's why we hired Lombardi-brilliant! That's his new title: VP of Trading Guys We Never Should Have Drafted in the First Place.

Too bad Jim Irsay isn't looking for a QB. Hey Mike, give him a call--you never know. Think Isiah Thomas would be interested?

This has been known for about 3 years. And it basically just says that the Pats have 0 interest in trading Mallet because Al Davis wouldn't even give up a 2nd round pick for him.

If anything, Mallet's value has decreased since joining New England. He has never looked good when on the field. His only accomplishment in the NFL is throwing the pass that helped break the tight end yardage record.

The Mallet zealots are absolutely nuts in thinking things like "Houston will draft Clowney #1 and trade #33 for Mallet!!!"

maybe not but I might see the Vikings give up the 40th pick for him, since the top three QB's will be gone before they pick at 8....

Oy. :rolleyes:

(1) The comp pick comes the year after the player leaves. If Mallett plays out his rookie deal, he would leave in 2015, so the comp pick would be in 2016.

(2) It can go as high as a third.

(3) It is not guaranteed. [The Pats aren't getting anything for Welker because they signed Amendola.]

Also, if the Pats traded away Mallett, they would probably draft a replacement.

I do not think they would run with a backup rookie QB.

I think that Mallett is worth a second rounder and I would not accept anything less than that, otherwise I would prefer to have a capable backup for under $1M against our salary cap.

This is actually one of the more realistic scenario's I've seen, as long as people understand its ONLY plausible because BOB worked with Mallet for a few seasons.

NO other team would, at least in their right minds, trade anything more than a 4th for Mallet at this point.

Well, scratch that off his Canton resume! hahaha...

Why would they not trade for him unless they were out of their mind? Is it because he has been unable to overtake Brady on the depth chart?

You like others are confusing lack of opportunity with lack of ability.

Cousins has actually played in the regular season.
Specifically, he played poorly under inept coaching. If I'm looking to deal a second rounder for a backup QB with promise, I would much, much rather trade for Mallett than Cousins.

As has been mentioned here repeatedly, Cassel is looking for a several million per year deal. Pats can't piss that much cap away on a backup QB.

...looks at calendar...

yup...it's STILL February....ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Cousins has shown nothing but potential, like any other QB in the draft. Playing a few regular season games mean jack squat when evaluating a player.

Examples. Kevin Kolb, and Matt Flynn were backups who looked awesome in a few games. What have they turned those few games into? Nothing more than backup roles.

Titus Young, Cam Newton, RG3, Caepernick, Matt Cassell, Rex Grossman, and even Mark Sanchez, looked either good or great for their first season as being starters. Then they were either mediocre or sucked the following season.

Why? Game tape. A player regardless of position can look great their first season, but after defensive coordinators have had a chance to watch enough game tape. They can recognize a players strength and weakness easily.

Here's a scenario, assuming BOB likes Mallett enough to offer value:

• Texans want Clowney but decide that they can't go into 2014 with their current QB roster
  • Texans offer to swap positions in round 2 and 3 in exchange for Mallett (The trade chart equivalent of trading pick #47 to the Patriots)
  • Texans get Clowney and Mallett, and keep all their picks, while the Patriots move up into position to get both the TE and DL in the top 33, and they'd be in great position to grab an interio OL at the top of round 3
  • Texans get one year tryout with Mallett and can sell their fans on having the ability to draft a QB in a better year for them (2015), if needed

Ecstatic is the word that would come to mind for me as a Patriots fan, and it doesn't screw over the Texans in the deal.

Agree completely. I'd suggested a few days ago that swapping 2nds & 3rds would be a viable trade IF BOB wanted the guy

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...s-first-round-pick-4-a-page5.html#post3754444

"I'd trade The Hammah to Houston swapping 2nds & 3rds in a heartbeat. That sweet spot top 2nd is where we find gems like Ras-I Dowling! Wait, on 2nd thought…"

I like how you managed to work a backhanded compliment in there for Sanchez. Poor kid has been left tethered to a rope like a baby goat in an Indian jungle...trembling as Shere Khan approaches...

I like how you managed to work a backhanded compliment in there for Sanchez. Poor kid has been left tethered to a rope like a baby goat in an Indian jungle...trembling as Shere Khan approaches...

Sanchez will go down as one of my favorite QBs of all time, for the butt fumble alone. Comedic genius. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes