PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is it about Monty that bothers me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsRI said:
There's just something about the guy that rubs me the wrong way. During the preseason I was on board with the "he has a good motor" and he might be a good LB for the team. But then his play seemed to get worse not better and he threw the secondary under the bus. He had the run in with Curran (which isn't bad) but also was an ass to Stacey James in front of everyone. Today I read how he had a calf injury too and missed four or five weeks. He does say that everyones different and "Some guys will be able to recover within a week or two. It’s like any muscle pull, it’s the degree of the injury. Mine was really bad.â€

I know I'm reading too much into everything and he was probably asked specific questions about his injury but he seems to always be focused on himself instead of the team. Like I said there is something about the guy that bothers me. He just doesn't seem to fit in, but then he's replacing the ultimate Patriot.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=119078
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=119080

“I couldn’t even walk for two or three days. I was on crutches,†he said. “Some guys will be able to recover within a week or two. It’s like any muscle pull, it’s the degree of the injury. Mine was really bad.â€

Some players privately expressed the fear Bruschi had also torn his calf muscle, although that has yet to be confirmed. Unlike Beisel, Bruschi has been walking without crutches. After the game, the linebacker walked to the bus, limping en route, carrying a bag and some packages and didn’t appear to be in a great deal of pain."

Beisel was raised in the NFL by **** Vermeil. An often tearfully emotional coach who can seldom help himself when it comes to providing the kind of thought process details the media craves. Look at how upset he was when Biesel jumped ship after all the effort they put in to converting him. I'm sure that fed Monty's ego, which his stint here has now badly bruised. It's a safe bet he was the player on the sidelines speculating about Tedy's injury. There are some new media faces in Foxboro, like Tomasi who was a former Sox beat reporter, who are looking for sources - and a disappointing player still looking for some sympathetic media to talk to.

I'm not sure Monty will be here next season, and I don't think Monty's sure either - nor do I think he necessarily cares. He'll probably get another TC to prove himself unless he indicates he'd rather not. He has some skills, but his capacity to be useful in this setting and willingness to quietly assume responsibility for his own success/failure is certainly debatable.

The basics of being a Patriot seem to still elude Monty (shut up and just do your job). Pioli has talked a lot this year about how our gene pool is more limited than most teams because not only talent and character count, but temeperment and attitude. Not everyone can be a Patriot. You have to be self motivated, thick-skinned and relatively stoic in both victory and defeat. And you never comment or speculate on injuries, yours or anyone elses. Monty continues to struggle with more than just the scheme.

Whoa...I think most of you need to back off this guy and give him another chance. It's obvious he didn't know about how Patriots conduct themselves when he 1st got here and he's trying to learn a new very complex defense. He will learn and adapt or he will be out. He could also be a home run for us next year, let's not jump the gun.

bingo

T-ShirtDynasty said:
And it seems he plays considerably better at ILB when there's someone in there to call the plays for him. Looks almost like a different player when he's next to Vrabel compared to when he's teamed with Chad Brown.
IMHO you put a finger right on it.
probably asking too much of him to call plays in his 1st year anyway. vrabel should have been doing it all along.
but his tackling...

ilduce06410 said:
IMHO you put a finger right on it.
probably asking too much of him to call plays in his 1st year anyway. vrabel should have been doing it all along.
but his tackling...

He came from KC, one of the worst tackling teams I've ever seen. Did you see them in the Giants game?

He's had a few weeks to work on some things and his tackling should be one of those. As I recall though he did make some text book tackles this year. Just not enough of them.

Did I mention his wife?

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
Thank you!

When it comes to Monty, I don't care if he gets run over all day - he gets the "wife bye"...

Mrs. Beisel:

http://www.misskansasusa.com/formers/carraway _04.jpg

With Monty tapping that $h!t every night, no wonder he can't learn the defense!

She's a smokin' young thing now and you can clearly see she is gonna morph into a fine MILF, as well...

She may even realize the ultra-rare "GILF" status!

Plus, he took on Tom Curran, aka "Mr. Negativity-in-Training, I am the self-appointed acerbic second coming of Will McDonough and Kevin Mannix"...

Monty basically told Curran to shut his negative, pessimistic New England pie-hole, which I wish every athlete around here would do...

If you believe Kevin Millar, WEEI broke up the Red Sox, fahchrissakes!

http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/05/snstory.pl?-sec-Sports+1k589g0+fn-millarsn.1229-20051229-

ADPF

If you believe Kevin Millar, he was the reason they finally won a WS.....

You can look a pictures of Monty's wife just as easily if he's playing elsewhere next season, if that kind of thing really matters that much to you. I personally don't care about anything but whether or not the player himself can perform in this system.

Beisel was brought in to do a job. As was Brown. Granted that job got a little harder when TJ retired just as TC opened, and harder yet after Rodney went down and Richard got hurt. But Beisel and Brown seemed to struggle with the system from the get go, and Beisel has continued to struggle with the concept. Both are obviously ill suited to perform as intended. That's why barring injury or a blowout they now only appear on ST. Beisel is young enough that he may yet find a niche, but if he can't even grasp the overall tenor of this franshise, personal accountability and a need to know mentality where the media is concerned (which in BB's estimation is non-existent), I don't hold out a ton of hope.

I've gone on record saying this before and I'll say it again. Beisel is not the answer at ILB for us. He lacks functional football strength and he has no instincts whatsoever. He can not read a play. There were two plays in particular last week were the Jets got 5 yards on the carry instead of two, because he did not diagnose and get to the gap quickly enough. Maybe he's overwhelmed by the complexity of the system. Or maybe he's just tentative by nature. Whatever the reason, if he does not clean up effectively and effiecently on running plays, it will affect how the front 3 play. They are busting it to set him up for a tackle near the LOS and he doesn't do it. How long til they lose faith in him and start to freelance. This guy is a chemistry killer and defense divider.
Of course Chad Brown is even worse, but at least he has admitted he can't figure it out. I can live with that (as long as BB keeps him on ST and off the field.). Beisel however continues to run the mouth and fails to back it up.
Unless the light goes on and Beisel goes balls to the ball, he'll need a new address next year.

PS: Brooks only played in two games for Virginia this year (sist on his knee or something), maybe he falls to #32, so we can pick him up.

Can't argue with that assessment ,Ochmed...he started slowly and still shows a lack of understanding of the D calls

maverick4 said:
Beisel has no strength whatsoever. Some people hinted at this by saying he has no killer instinct or toughness or aggressiveness or whatever. The fact is he can't shed blockers at all. Put a body on him, any body, and he is taken out of the play.

I know what your saying, but Tedy isn't a huge, strong guy either and he gets it done. No insult to Tedy, but he is a small ILB compared to the rest of the league. I don't think Monty's problem is strength. I am not sure what it is.

I give him a first year pass:

He's a DE who played STs for KC. They were forced to use him at MLB due to injuries. They had him playing at 238 to take advantage of his speed. NEP ILBs are expected to be brick walls in the middle, not gazelles. Tedy has 10 pounds on this kid, Vrabel 23. He carried more weight at Kansas State so Woicik should be able to improve his strength/weight in the off-season. Where he needs work the most is read/react time, Vrabel was two steps slower in read/react back in the middle of the season, I'm not ready to annoint Monty as the equal of Vrabel or Bruschi, we'll see what Monty does as he learns how to read the offense. People criticize his ability to fight off a block, the skill set he learned in college had him charging upfield as a DE, here he has to hold his position and fight through the block, very different. There was a news piece on Colvin talking about how Bruschi and Vrabel tease him because he can't "butch" a RB to disrupt his pass pattern. Colvin was a converted DE too, he's had a number of years to learn OLB and he still has weak spots in his game - give the coaches/veterans time. Mike Reiss and Chris Price didn't think the Curran incident was a big deal, but too many of the people on the forum turned it into a TO mess. Bottom line, the kid is still BB's 1st choice for third man at ILB, and we know Chatham, Izzo, and Davis are available and bring a variety of talents to that position that have helped us all over the field - In BB I Trust.

#1. He seems to think he's better than he is (at least when it comes to the Patriots system) and

#2. He's prone to blaming his teammates when things go wrong, rather than selflessly sucking it up and showing some humility to show humility and accept responsiblity for his own lapses

re:

Digger44 said:
I know what your saying, but Tedy isn't a huge, strong guy either and he gets it done. No insult to Tedy, but he is a small ILB compared to the rest of the league. I don't think Monty's problem is strength. I am not sure what it is.

Size doesn't say anything about strength. Zach Thomas is small but he hits like a truck. Bruschi is the same way - a force in the middle, great elusiveness to beat blockers, extremely aggressive, and puts his body and helmet in there. Also, Ellis Hobbs III and Samuel are hobbits, but they tackle well and are aggressive.

Beisel has no strength. If you put any offensive player, even a wide receiver on Beisel, I bet he doesn't beat that block and get to the runner. In Patriot Reign (I think, but could be another Pats book), BB said something about how no matter how well you design a defense, it all comes down to one-on-one matchups and is about who can beat the other guy to make a play.

Beisel cannot beat a block, has zero play-making ability, and I also don't like the way he passes off blame instead of sucking it up and improving himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST