PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is it about Monty that bothers me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There's just something about the guy that rubs me the wrong way. During the preseason I was on board with the "he has a good motor" and he might be a good LB for the team. But then his play seemed to get worse not better and he threw the secondary under the bus. He had the run in with Curran (which isn't bad) but also was an ass to Stacey James in front of everyone. Today I read how he had a calf injury too and missed four or five weeks. He does say that everyones different and "Some guys will be able to recover within a week or two. It’s like any muscle pull, it’s the degree of the injury. Mine was really bad.â€

I know I'm reading too much into everything and he was probably asked specific questions about his injury but he seems to always be focused on himself instead of the team. Like I said there is something about the guy that bothers me. He just doesn't seem to fit in, but then he's replacing the ultimate Patriot.

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=119078
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=119080

Last edited:
Same here. I can't pinpoint it, but it certainly escalated after the Curran incident. I'm semi-surprised he wasn't released after that (a la Kenyatta Jones in 2003 for the water incident), but I'm sure he's on a super-short leash now.

He's just non-Patriot like. Also seems like a huge ass whiner.

I'm sure if he performs well on the field you will get over it...............

bosfan said:
I'm sure if he performs well on the field you will get over it...............

Exactly. What happened to Monty is that he isn't Tedy.

Call me a contrarian, but I sort of like him. I think the physical skills are there. It's a process from DE to LB, and he doesn't have a lot of playing time yet at LB. If we're at the same point mid next year, then I'll probably change my mind. But for right now, I'm happy we have him.

dryheat44 said:
Exactly. What happened to Monty is that he isn't Tedy.

That's part of it. But he honestly just seems to have a loose yap that he doesn't mind running about things that most guys in the locker room wouldn't talk about. That's the most anti-pat thing about him to me.

Ted Johnson has talked freely about things since his retirement that he'd NEVER have broached when he was actually in the locker room. Monte needs to learn where that line is in the sand and not cross it.

It's way too early to give up on him. Saw him yesterday and he seemed to humbled by his experience here so far. I think that he has the smarts to learn.

Let's see how much improvement there has been when he plays against the Flippers.

Besides, have you seen his wife?

I agree that it's way too early to give up on him. The only thing offensive about his comments yesterday is our sensitivity after his comments earlier this year.

As far as his play, he was never supposed to start this year. It would have been TJ and Chad Brown at ILB. You don't bring in an older guy like Chad Brown and pay him big money to ride the pine. TJ retired and it's Chad Brown who should be generating the disappointment, but he's not on the field long enough for us to remember him.

beisel humbled?

PATSNUTme said:
It's way too early to give up on him. Saw him yesterday and he seemed to humbled by his experience here so far. I think that he has the smarts to learn.

Let's see how much improvement there has been when he plays against the Flippers.

IMHO, this should have been the season for him to keep his mouth shut and try to learn the position.
his play irks me too. my perception is that he's the last guy in on a tackle, the last one in on a pile-up. the one who could have just pulled up but gets in there after the play is over.
i can't find a pic of beisel's wife right now but i saw one months ago. as i recall she is a looker, beauty-pageant pretty, but not somebody who makes you stammer and sweat.
can't give up on him, gotta give him another season. i just wish he'd shut up.

He seems to lack that killer instinct that our ilb's have. Tedy, Ted, Vrabel are the nicest guys in the world with humble personalities, but as soon as you get these guys onto the feild it's as if they turn into monsters who wanna rip a limb off. Monty doesnt seem to have that type on energy yet. It could be because of a lack of confidence and knowledge in this new system. Like many have said, the skills seem to be there so he needs time. Remember that Tedy was a small DE that made the ilb switch. It took his some time as well. This is the same situation for Monty.

What rubs me the wrong way is his play. Earlier this year, everytime a RB cam near him, he played like a scared *****, to giddy to just pursue the ball carrier. I reall could care less what kinda guy he is. As long as he plays well, I'm fine. And that we can see his wife..:)

PatsRI said:
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=119080

From the article above:

'Belichick didn’t exactly give Beisel an overwhelming thumbs up yesterday when assessing how the linebacker did after coming in late in the first quarter for Bruschi during Monday night’s 31-21 win.

“I thought Monty did some good things. There were some things he could have done better,†Belichick said. “He did a solid job.†'

Ms Guregian, if you report on the Pats, you should know that this is BB's default reply to any question about individual players -- it's news if he says something else.

Mike the Brit said:
From the article above:

'Belichick didn’t exactly give Beisel an overwhelming thumbs up yesterday when assessing how the linebacker did after coming in late in the first quarter for Bruschi during Monday night’s 31-21 win.

“I thought Monty did some good things. There were some things he could have done better,†Belichick said. “He did a solid job.†'

Ms Guregian, if you report on the Pats, you should know that this is BB's default reply to any question about individual players -- it's news if he says something else.

Lmao..My thoughts exactly. He rarely, if ever, gives a young player much credit. Oh well, reporters never learn.

Monty's ok in my book. Did a decent job considering he's new to the system and somewhat new to ILB.

PATSNUTme said:

Thank you!

When it comes to Monty, I don't care if he gets run over all day - he gets the "wife bye"...

Mrs. Beisel:

http://www.misskansasusa.com/formers/carraway _04.jpg

With Monty tapping that $h!t every night, no wonder he can't learn the defense!

She's a smokin' young thing now and you can clearly see she is gonna morph into a fine MILF, as well...

She may even realize the ultra-rare "GILF" status!

Plus, he took on Tom Curran, aka "Mr. Negativity-in-Training, I am the self-appointed acerbic second coming of Will McDonough and Kevin Mannix"...

Monty basically told Curran to shut his negative, pessimistic New England pie-hole, which I wish every athlete around here would do...

If you believe Kevin Millar, WEEI broke up the Red Sox, fahchrissakes!

http://www.ecnnews.com/cgi-bin/05/snstory.pl?-sec-Sports+1k589g0+fn-millarsn.1229-20051229-

ADPF

Last edited:
Zuma said:
Monty's ok in my book. Did a decent job considering he's new to the system and somewhat new to ILB.
And it seems he plays considerably better at ILB when there's someone in there to call the plays for him. Looks almost like a different player when he's next to Vrabel compared to when he's teamed with Chad Brown.

i am not ready to give up on him--but i keep seeing him get pushed off the ball and tackle RBs after a 4-5 yd gain (i witnessed his debacle trying to tackle LT first hand). he's a big guy--he should be attacking the ball carrier. to me he looks passive for an ILB. it will be interesting to see how Claridge plays in the pre-season. IMHO, he could be Monty's competition in 06.

he's not that kind of player

Digger44 said:
He seems to lack that killer instinct that our ilb's have. Tedy, Ted, Vrabel are the nicest guys in the world with humble personalities, but as soon as you get these guys onto the feild it's as if they turn into monsters who wanna rip a limb off. Monty doesnt seem to have that type on energy yet. It could be because of a lack of confidence and knowledge in this new system. Like many have said, the skills seem to be there so he needs time. Remember that Tedy was a small DE that made the ilb switch. It took his some time as well. This is the same situation for Monty.
savage players, bruschi, johnson, that MLB in miami, Ray Lewis, those 2 LB in Pittsburgh, vilma of NYJ, are hard to find. i mean, you can see it when you look at video on them, but they're rare.
guys like roman phifer, strahan, vrabel & seymour knock the $h!t out of you if they have to, but what they want is the ballcarrier, not the blocker. they are relentless, they don't wear down in games. savage players, like lofa tatupu, mosi's son, seem to disrupt everything around them, they cut a swath when they move to the ball. bruschi has it. rodney. colvin.
beisel is not that kind of player. he doesn't seem to scare anyone, offenses will run at him, past him, etc. bruschi, as i recall, took 3-4 seasons to figure out ILB. but bruschi was 23 when he started learning. beisel is starting at age 28.
i dunno. obviously BB/SP think he's good material. and the same for klecko. just goes to snow i know jack-$sh!t about football.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
And it seems he plays considerably better at ILB when there's someone in there to call the plays for him. Looks almost like a different player when he's next to Vrabel compared to when he's teamed with Chad Brown.
Very true....

re:

Beisel has no strength whatsoever. Some people hinted at this by saying he has no killer instinct or toughness or aggressiveness or whatever. The fact is he can't shed blockers at all. Put a body on him, any body, and he is taken out of the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes