PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What If The NFL Had A Best Out 7 Series In The Playoffs Like The NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
Q: Default What If The NFL Had A Best Out 7 Series In The Playoffs Like The NBA?

A: The rosters would have to be expanded to over 200 players.
Good answer. What a thread-killer.

What if instead of our 16 game + playoff format we played each season with a world cup sort of format:

8 groups of four teams (already done) each play each other once with the best two teams in each group advancing to the next round, which becomes a 1-off elimination

Groups would change/rotate so that talent was evenly spread, giving weak teams a shot at making the next round. I dunno if anyone else already posted this but it's certainly viable. I guess it would suck for crappy teams who would only get to play 3 games a season.

Also based on the soccer model, we could have relegation of some sort, although talent is so evenly spread in the league that it would be hard to justify this... although maybe a minor league starting up would be a cool idea to make this happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
RayClay said:
We barely had enough healthy people to get in to the playoffs, (except our division sucked) and you think we would have won in 6 more games?:eek: :rolleyes: :D

My point is that we lost because of a terrible game played by us and little else. Do you disagree?..

I agree we barely squeaked into the playoffs, but that was because of half of our team being injured during the season. The Jacksonville game should have been proof that we were back to our old selves. THAT'S why I think we could have had the threepeat.

i LOVE the NFL exactly as per today's rules

best sport and best league in the World

no reasons to change anything

VJCPatriot said:
I disagree with your statement. If the Pats had played the Rams 2 games in a row the Rams wouldn't have had enough healthy people to suit up for game 3. One of the Rams wideouts broke a rib on the first offensive series of the game... The Pats physically dominated the Rams on both sides of the ball. Pats were a smash mouth team that season. You have to watch the replays of the hits to appreciate just how hard nosed and physical the Pats were that year. I don't think there's a chance the Rams would have won in a 3 game series when half their offensive starters are hobbling onto the field. No. Pats won that year and it was no fluke. They would have done it in a 3 game series as well because Martz simply could not outcoach BB in the Xs and Os and the Rams finesse game was smashed to pieces by the Pats tough and disciplined defense. But since there is no such thing as a 3 game series in football this discussion is moot. But that's just how I feel about it.

The Rams had the momentum at the end of the game and a lot of that came from finally getting Faulk into the game. I don't know if BB would have found a way to stop that move in another game, but I think it would have been hard: the Pats' run defense was not that dominant and BB wouldn't have had the element of surprise that he had in the initial phases of the Rams game.

But I'm with you: BB flat-out out-coached them. It's the old Bum Phillips saying "He can take his'n and beat your'n, and he can take your'n and beat his'n". And I think that that is part of what makes the NFL what it is. Those who think that a less talented team being coached to beat a more talented team is a "fluke" don't appreciate the game -- or they are just whiners.

Last edited:
CheerforTom said:
My point is that we lost because of a terrible game played by us and little else. Do you disagree?..

I agree we barely squeaked into the playoffs, but that was because of half of our team being injured during the season. The Jacksonville game should have been proof that we were back to our old selves. THAT'S why I think we could have had the threepeat.

Yes, I disagree. I think we lost because our team and coaching staff was impatient because they were totally stressed out after an incredibly taxing injury plagued season.

Also, our top running back was running on one leg causing the poor judgement to run our fumble prone scatback up the middle.

The only cure for our problem was physical and emotional rejuvination. Rest. We were worn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST