PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"What if" scenarios during the last 24 years

Now that the Brady/Bill Era is behind us, and it's full on off-season, I thought it might be fun to play some what if scenarios. Some possibilities:

What if Drew never got wrecked by Mo Lewis? Is drew still the QB in 2002?

What if Asante caught the interception? Do they win? Do we feel differently about Asante? Does he feel differently about Bill?

What if they won in 2007? See below.

What if Tom never had his knee injury?

What if Wes never got benched in the playoffs?

What if Wes caught the ball?

What if Butler never got benched? That oughta be a good one.

What if Tom stayed. Does that mean Bill leaves? Who leaves as a result of the cap management?

What if JMcD stayed and coached Mac? Do they end up 4-13? Is Bill still here?

I know 2007 is the thing that must not be named, but maybe it's time now. Personally, I think if they had won that, things may have been drastically different. If they win that, do they even get to the Seattle, Atlanta and Rams super bowls? It's not hard to envision egos, money and a lack of drive setting in. What's left, after perfection? Do you stay hungry for "the next one"? Does money and contracts become a thing? I think it's possible that there's a lot of fat and happy that happen after 19-0. Certainly, guys would have taken the paydays and left. I have been to the mountain top, now I am getting paid. I think there's a real possibility that the sting of '07 and Brady's knee injury propel them to achieve success in the second half of the dynasty. I can see them winning and there's a whole lot of "screw this" going on, with there being nothing left to prove.

What say you guys?
I like your game and it's a long off-season but my first answer to all this has to be that I am quite happy with the way everything did turn out. I can't imagine many of these what ifs leading down a better path.

1. What if Peyton Manning was investigated and taken down for taking HGH instead of haven't it covered up?

2. What if the NFL took down the Jets in 2006 for spying on the Patriots with a sideline camera, instead of sweeping it under the rug?

3. What if Brady didn't scoff and laugh at the idea that the Giants would hold the Patriots to 17 points in the '07 Super Bowl?

4. What if Belichick overrode O'Brien's decision to send the jumbo package out there in the 4th qtr after Brady had completed 8 straight passes and sent the Giants defense reeling in '11? (O'Brien's decision killed the Patriots momentum which lead to the infamous Welker drop).

5. What if the Patriots didn't cut Antonio Brown? Would the Sanu 2nd rounder have turned into DK Metcalf the following draft?

6. What if Donovan McNabb didn't puke?

7. What if Brady saw Gronkowski wide open in the end zone on the 2 point conversion to tie the game against Denver in '15?

8. What if the Patriots took Christian Darrisaw instead of Mac Jones in 2021?

9. What if Rex Ryan's bi-curious ads hadn't been found by someone combing through the Baltimore alternative listings?

10. Finally, what if Goodell had answered that ad not knowing who posted it?

EDIT: BONUS QUESTION #1: What if the NFL hadn't changed the rules right before the Super Bowl, which enabled them to make two calls against the Patriots, one using the old rules, one using the new rules, all from the NFL front office in New York (even Collinsworth thought that was nuts!)?

BONUS #2: What if the media demanded to know the actual unequivocal 100% truthful numbers of the balls in Deflategate?

Last edited:
What if i took a bath at any point o_O

My two favorite "what if"s:

2008: What happens if the Pats beat the JEST in OT, which would've gotten them into the playoffs?

2009: What if Julian Edelman didn't break his arm against the Titans? At the time, he was leading all rookies in receptions.
Side bar:

But having twice had the best record in the division 02 and 08 and losing the division on a tie breaker following winning the SB I've often suggested that the first tie breaker should go to the defending champ.

It's just more entertaining for the league to have the defending champs in the playoffs and it makes whoever does win the SB have earned it even more if they get to knock them off instead of a tie breaker.

Maybe head to head should still be first tie breaker and defending champs second tie breaker but I think it would make things way more entertaining and who cares about record vs the rest of the division, conference, or common opponents other than head to head it's kind of arbitrary and having won it the previous year should be worth more.

There a few in the opposite direction, as well.

What if in the 2000 draft at #183, Cleveland drafts TB12 rather than Spergon Wynn?

What if in the Snow Bowl, Walt Coleman rules fumble rather than invoking the tuck rule?

What if Adam V does not somehow make that miraculous kick in those conditions?

What if **** Vermeil had not resigned after 1999, resulting in Mike Martz becoming the Rams HC?

What if Carolina decided to go for one rather two - twice - in the 4th quarter of SB 38?

What if Andy Reid had better clock management in SB 39?

What if Pete Carroll called for a run play to Marshawn Lynch?

What if Dan Quinn/Kyle Shanahan had called for more running plays rather than Matt Ryan dropbacks in the 2nd half?

What if the Chiefs won the coin toss in the 2018 AFCCG?

Why not? Hernandez was extremely talented. At one point here in this very forum we were debating who to pay between Gronk or Hernandez
I get it. It's just the sensitivity of what happened that is all. But I agree with you. He was ulta talented, and gave the offense a dynamic they never had. His rookie year he showed that he was going to be a great player. Just sad, all things considered.

I get it. It's just the sensitivity of what happened that is all. But I agree with you. He was ulta talented, and gave the offense a dynamic they never had. His rookie year he showed that he was going to be a great player. Just sad, all things considered.
I heard he really hated BB he could of taken care of business for some of the whack jobs on here

What if Hernandez doesn't kill
And we ended up paying Hernandez in 2013.. he got the 40 million extension... I remember Kraft saying he was duped. Hard to figure world class organization didn't know.. we had people to watch Gordon's curfew but not the all world TE we invested in.. strange..

Posters and media that attended camp saw Brady was outplayed Drew, so the cord would've eventually been pulled on Drew.

They obviously win the game assuming they don't screw up running out the clock. Regardless, Samuel didn't even want to return for the 2007 season and only agreed to sign the franchise tag because Bill couldn't use the tag on him after the season. Had he caught it, maybe he changes his mind. He would've been a Pats legend and received a "key to the city".

The team was aging out, so cuts/retirements would've been inevitable.

They easily win in 2008.

That's a tough question because it was only the first drive. A turnover on the first drive does not destroy an entire game.

They most likely put the game out of reach. Wes dropped another back breaker the following year to open up the 3rd quarter against Baltimore which would've put them in their territory. They struggled badly after that.

He defends Agholor and Gilmore defends Jeffery. Butler's replacement (Rowe) gave up 10 points on the first two drives. He was quickly yanked of Jeffrey.

Both stay and retire together.

He would've been the HC. I bet he's not a happy camper right now.

Julian Edelman mentioned on his podcast that he may not have returned in 2013 had Hernandez and Wes still been on the team. He was low on the totem poll and was considering walking.

Hernandez was a rare talent for his size on the field. We've never seen a TE break ankles like he did. It's a shame he was a troubled man.

Take it back even further, what if Martin stays? The Jets don't sniff the AFCCG. Jacksonville has another rematch with Denver.

Having Martin or Edwards may have delayed the inevitable for Carroll, but the team was deteriorating from horrendous drafts and poor personnel moves. Letting Gash and Clay walk were idiotic.
I've asked.. what if we win the green bay superbowl in 96-97? Does Bill ever come here as HC?

It I funny people here can look back and the what ifs but the ones guessing the future is too much lol.

As for any of these they have all happened somewhere in the multiverse

And we ended up paying Hernandez in 2013.. he got the 40 million extension... I remember Kraft saying he was duped. Hard to figure world class organization didn't know.. we had people to watch Gordon's curfew but not the all world TE we invested in.. strange..
It was actually 2012; GRONK and A.H. were, IIRC, the last drafted rookies to be extended after two years; the 2011 CBA changed the rule so it couldn't be done for three years.

2013 playoffs ...

Talib did his 2nd annual tapping out of the AFCCG after getting lit up by Wes Welker. Had he and Gronk played, it still would've been tough to keep up with that Broncos offense in Denver where they had a losing record.

What if in the 2000 draft at #183, Cleveland drafts TB12 rather than Spergon Wynn?
He'd beat out Couch eventually. How well he does is another question.
What if in the Snow Bowl, Walt Coleman rules fumble rather than invoking the tuck rule?
Pats lose. Tom mentioned to Charles Woodson that had the Pats lost, Tom believed he'd end up losing his job to Drew Bledsoe in the off-season.
What if Adam V does not somehow make that miraculous kick in those conditions?
They keep playing.
What if **** Vermeil had not resigned after 1999, resulting in Mike Martz becoming the Rams HC?
He wouldn't have prevented their injuries in 2000, but they would've eventually won another Super Bowl at some point. They still lose to NE in 2001 as Martz said he caught on too late knowing the Pats couldn't defend the no huddle offense.
What if Carolina decided to go for one rather two - twice - in the 4th quarter of SB 38?
They'd have 31 points? Pats would've still won with a field goal as they scored 32 points.
What if Andy Reid had better clock management in SB 39?
I think they still lose.
What if Pete Carroll called for a run play to Marshawn Lynch?
Teams have stuffed the run before in those situations, but the Pats were looking gassed. Don't know. Marshawn has talked about it and he mentioned that they wanted to make Wilson the hero. Another teammate mentioned the coaching staff had beef with him from an incident during the season where they where in the same situation and called a passing play, and Lynch flipped off the sideline after he heard the play.
What if Dan Quinn/Kyle Shanahan had called for more running plays rather than Matt Ryan dropbacks in the 2nd half?
They probably would've won draining the clock.
What if the Chiefs won the coin toss in the 2018 AFCCG?
Chefs caught on to the Pats D, but I think they could've held them to a field goal. Where the rules still in play where the other team gets the ball unless a TD is scored like the Pats did?

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back