PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What Are Chances Patriots Make Splash Trade For Justin Fields?

That is your assumption. The Pats have the most cap space in the NFL over the next 3 years (due to not using void years which would have required more up front cash). You assume the most cap space over the next three years is due to BB's mistakes, but is most likely due to RK who controls the purse strings. This is where you assume things, and you know what assume did? You assume that BB is responsible for the fact that the Pats are 32nd out of 32 teams in cap space over the next three years (32 out of 32 is too much of a conincidence to be accidental), and so it is difficult for me to understand how you missed that anomaly. I am not mad at you, when someone can not see something that is obvious, that is not on me, that is on them. The fact that the Pats are 32nd out of 32 teams in the most cap space available over the next three years is not a conicidence. It is a fact, and it is most likely due to the owner. Sorry to burst your BB hate bubble.

BB turned down the Falcons job according to Boomer Easiason. I see that you want to parse Boomer's words to refute that report. You accept every sports journalist's report that aligns with your beliefs, but when a report, like Boomer's, does not align with your emotioinal position, you malign the report (parse Boomer's words). Typical BB hater. Admit it, be honest. Trying to back pedal now is embarrassing. At least @1960Pats and @Thelonious own their hate and ugly disposition.
You can get yourself as worked up as you want but I don't have anything to prove to you. You can check my posts from a few weeks back where I said I would root for him wherever he lands (unless it was the Jets) and you're right I don't fully buy the Esiason report. Not that I am saying Boomer is lying or someone told him a lie I just "assume" there is a lot of context missing from that job offer. In my opinion some stipulations with any potential offer that Bill wouldn't agree to.

As for me making assumptions, since none of us are in the room when these decisions are being made we're all working off assumptions to some extent. I am also "assuming" things based on things that happened or articles/reports that came out. When I said Bill was doubling down (or trying to) on his mistakes I was referring to the report that he allegedly wanted to run it back with Matt Patricia at OC until Kraft finally stepped in and said enough. Bill also doubled down on an extension for a subpar receiver in Devante Parker last summer. I also find it funny that after almost a quarter century of Bill and Kraft working together all of a sudden "Kraft controlling the purse strings" is the narrative that Team Bill uses when discussing the state of the team. Like there is some scenario where we would have traded for Devante Adams or Tyreek Hill and given them big contracts but Kraft stepped in and said "No! Bring me Juju and Devante Parker so I can save money!"

You want to talk about cap space like it was some grand plan all along. Like Bill was really keeping the cupboard bare and had it all lined up to really start his rebuild this season but mean old Mr Kraft swooped in and pulled the rug out from under him. We have cap space because we have a talent poor roster due to some very bad drafting. If we hit on guys like N'Keal Harry and Mac Jones theoretically we would be signing/have signed them to big deals right now which would then take us back to league average for cap space. Having cap space is good and it helps us but as we have seen dozens of times over the years throughout the league building through free agency generally doesn't work.

You gloss over all of the mistakes the Bill made down the stretch and label anyone who mentions them BB haters. He shoved Brady out the door with no succession plan whatsoever. He mismanaged the offensive line situation so badly and he ended up compounding the issue by taking a guard in the first. He straddled the line between rebuild and reload instead of tearing it down and rebuilding the traditional way. He completely hindered Mac's development by putting in a DC as OC. He surrounded Mac with some of the most pedestrian receivers in the league. There was apparent dysfunction behind the scenes the last two years now.

You can clutch your pearls and call it "hate" but it was time for Bill to go.

Exactly Cousin,
Good morning sports Fans. Had a nice breakfast of cinnamon swirl french toast with maple syrup and butter and a slice of Boar's Head ham with some mint tea and a glass of cranberry-pomegranate juice. I am ready to get my derriere handed to me on this post. .

We have too many holes to fill to put all of our chips on the table for a youngster who could turn into Zach Wilson while everybody thinks their pick is the next Stroud. We also need a threat or two to bother the DC of our competitors. Who do we have now? Nyet!

Interesting segment I heard from Felger I believe of all people yesterday.a writer by the name of Fowler who suggested that the Vikings would like to move into the top three to get their "franchise" QB now because they fear they might lose Captain Kirk anyway. And his price is through the roof.

The Bears won't trade with the Vikings who tried to get into the top QB chase last year. So that leaves Wshington or the Pats. Washington avctually have some playmakers that they can surround a rookie QB with. We have oogatz. It makes sense the "redskins"----oops sorry...Just a joke.....take one of the big three.

The proposal chatted about was our#3 pick for the Vikes #11, number, Vikes #1 in 2025 and.....Justin Jefferson. Jefferson is on his final year and will demand big bucks in 25 but the kid is only 25 years old.......pay him! He's 25 and his contract might be cheap in a few years.

Why would the Vikes do this? They have two #1 WRs in Addison and Jefferson ...we have..oh yea "0" They also have Hockenson as a threat. They will have to pay Jefferson or lose him next year anyway. They get their Franchise" kid QB.

Why would the Pats do this? ................Jefferson....a threat to any DC. and maybe our nest WR since Moss. A real #1. At pick #11 we can still get a blue chip OT. A #1 pick in 2025 is icing on the cake.

The rest of the story for entertainment purposes?
Now what to do about the QB> We have two noodle arms on the team right now. They will not be able to leverage his skills. Yes I am going Fields. Not my cup of tea but better than what we got. He has two years to prove his worth or he is gone. At least he can get the ball out there. Our pick at #68 in the third is probably realistic to trade with Mac included because they need a placeholder for Williams. and we get their 4th rounder at #111. I am sure there will be pitchforks and torches on this proposal. Yep I would gamble.

You cousins say "DW, we still need a QB?" How about at #34 we take Spencer Rattler who was the best QB at the Senior Bowl. He willed South Carolina through their season with the worst OL in the SEC who had a ton of injuries. Best arm out there in Mobile. He was a pain in the arse punk at Oklahoma and matured nicely at South Carolina. Rattler was a third round prospect but moved into the second with flair. Better than Nix or Penix.

So at #104 you might consider Roman Wilson WR or OT Patrick Paul who is still raw BUT a nice piece of clay to work with and then at #111 how about some LB speed in JD Bertrand who was all over the field in Mobile.

Thoughts?
Threats?
DW Toys

In Madden World I would love this. However, this team is so inept offensively right now that it's hard to believe JJ would even remotely approach his career numbers. This team is nowhere near sniffing a Superbowl or even a playoff berth. I like Fields but I know what he is, and I believe the offense we would design around him would frustrate Jefferson to no end. There is no way he'll re-sign here, even if the Pats are the highest bidder (which we know they won't be).

This isn't the same as bringing in Moss in 2007, who came for very little draft capital to an already very good team. For sheer entertainment purposes I would love to see Fields and Jefferson in Flying Elvis unis, but nothing more.

In 2025 we would likely be coming off a 7 win season and these two would become unaffordable even with all the cap space. This team needs to be rebuilt from the ground up. Crushing a high pick for once would be a great place to start.

What I would support is drafting MHJ and bringing Fields in for a reasonable return (3rd rounder at best: with the Pats draft position that's nearly a high 2nd). Now we have a full year to evaluate Fields before spending $$$, and if MHJ is as good as we think, he'll become the #1 with Parker/Douglas and Bourne (hopefully) taking their right place at #2 and #3 where they belong. Resign Henry and suddenly you have some serious weapons, better than Fields has ever had.

Of course I haven't mentioned that the line needs serious help. There's no easy solution. What we do know is Fields will make their jobs significantly easier than Mac ever did, especially if they implement the RPO with Stevenson. All of this while keeping most of the $$ and draft capital intact.

I may be playing Madden a bit myself with these ideas, but for some reason this feels more realistic and more sustainable than just plugging Jefferson in and hoping he puts up the same numbers.

Feel like some desperate team will throw a second or maybe even first for him. Hope to God its not us
Well, if we do it is because AVP and McAdoo feel he can be our franchise QB.

That decision is the main reason they were bought in, certainly so for McAdoo.

Not expecting it though.

Judging by that, he should probably give up football for diving.

Personally, I'd rather have Brisset.
I'd take any bridge QB who won't make mistakes and show a rookie draft pick QB how to prepare and act like a pro.

Brissett is a great example... Fields stinks. Can he improve in time, sure, we just don't want him doing it here.

Draft a QB, this isn't hard.

Like there is some scenario where we would have traded for Devante Adams or Tyreek Hill and given them big contracts but Kraft stepped in and said "No! Bring me Juju and Devante Parker so I can save money!"
I've said this before (and I agree with you here): the only way to not spend cap money is to refuse to rollover excess. Kraft hasn't done that since the NFL allowed teams to just submit a letter to roll it over. If he is the cheapskate some people claim, why hasn't he done that?

And, in any case, he's going to have to 90% cash spending over the next three years, so the team is going to have to spend money on somebody. They can't do a Marlins-style fire sale; the CBA won't let them.

I've said this before (and I agree with you here): the only way to not spend cap money is to refuse to rollover excess. Kraft hasn't done that since the NFL allowed teams to just submit a letter to roll it over. If he is the cheapskate some people claim, why hasn't he done that?

And, in any case, he's going to have to 90% cash spending over the next three years, so the team is going to have to spend money on somebody. They can't do a Marlins-style fire sale; the CBA won't let them.
This is where I am at. Bill loved to build a "strong middle class" and it worked great when he had Brady and was hitting big on draft classes. Once Brady left and he continued to whiff on draft after draft all of a sudden the strong middle class doesn't cut it and then you hear about the Krafts cheaping out. I highly doubt billionaire Robert Kraft told Bill "No way we are going up another million for Jakobi Meyers!" or didn't want to bump his offer to Deandre Hopkins another couple million. It was Bill continuing to try and build a roster the way he did with the greatest quarterback of all time. Bill was done in by his own inability to adapt and it had nothing to do with Kraft.

Kraft actually spoke on this topic again today apparently.

I really don't know why people would be against it.. for a 4th for an athletic QB, with a rocket arm.. I'm all in.. why not..
Nothing like trading one terrible QB for another. Why wouldn't you take one of the plethora of better journeyman QBs that are available and let your first round QB sit for a year or take MHJ and figure out your QB situation from there

Exactly Cousin,
Good morning sports Fans. Had a nice breakfast of cinnamon swirl french toast with maple syrup and butter and a slice of Boar's Head ham with some mint tea and a glass of cranberry-pomegranate juice. I am ready to get my derriere handed to me on this post. .

We have too many holes to fill to put all of our chips on the table for a youngster who could turn into Zach Wilson while everybody thinks their pick is the next Stroud. We also need a threat or two to bother the DC of our competitors. Who do we have now? Nyet!

Interesting segment I heard from Felger I believe of all people yesterday.a writer by the name of Fowler who suggested that the Vikings would like to move into the top three to get their "franchise" QB now because they fear they might lose Captain Kirk anyway. And his price is through the roof.

The Bears won't trade with the Vikings who tried to get into the top QB chase last year. So that leaves Wshington or the Pats. Washington avctually have some playmakers that they can surround a rookie QB with. We have oogatz. It makes sense the "redskins"----oops sorry...Just a joke.....take one of the big three.

The proposal chatted about was our#3 pick for the Vikes #11, number, Vikes #1 in 2025 and.....Justin Jefferson. Jefferson is on his final year and will demand big bucks in 25 but the kid is only 25 years old.......pay him! He's 25 and his contract might be cheap in a few years.

Why would the Vikes do this? They have two #1 WRs in Addison and Jefferson ...we have..oh yea "0" They also have Hockenson as a threat. They will have to pay Jefferson or lose him next year anyway. They get their Franchise" kid QB.

Why would the Pats do this? ................Jefferson....a threat to any DC. and maybe our nest WR since Moss. A real #1. At pick #11 we can still get a blue chip OT. A #1 pick in 2025 is icing on the cake.

The rest of the story for entertainment purposes?
Now what to do about the QB> We have two noodle arms on the team right now. They will not be able to leverage his skills. Yes I am going Fields. Not my cup of tea but better than what we got. He has two years to prove his worth or he is gone. At least he can get the ball out there. Our pick at #68 in the third is probably realistic to trade with Mac included because they need a placeholder for Williams. and we get their 4th rounder at #111. I am sure there will be pitchforks and torches on this proposal. Yep I would gamble.

You cousins say "DW, we still need a QB?" How about at #34 we take Spencer Rattler who was the best QB at the Senior Bowl. He willed South Carolina through their season with the worst OL in the SEC who had a ton of injuries. Best arm out there in Mobile. He was a pain in the arse punk at Oklahoma and matured nicely at South Carolina. Rattler was a third round prospect but moved into the second with flair. Better than Nix or Penix.

So at #104 you might consider Roman Wilson WR or OT Patrick Paul who is still raw BUT a nice piece of clay to work with and then at #111 how about some LB speed in JD Bertrand who was all over the field in Mobile.

Thoughts?
Threats?
DW Toys

You think they will give up 2 first rounds and Jefferson for our #3 pick this year?

Oh ok so now he's responsible with cleaning the books? But he's not responsible for Mac? Juju? Not paying Myers and countless others Over the years. As I've said at nuasem bill was great, what he accomplished will never be replicated in the NFL. Not disparaging him at the least.

If they had the power of the purse, as Belichick had, and the all time wins record was in their sight, what do you think any other coach would have done with that cap money? Had it been Parcells in that situation they would be 250 million over the cap right now. Belichick deserves credit for showing restraint with the $$$ just as much as he deserves the blame for blowing way over 100 million in his last free agent spending spree. He left them with a very good defense, a very bad offense, but plenty of $$$ to go into the offseason with.

Agreed, now fields is also cheap. On the same rookie contract. Yes, Mac is owed a fresh start somewhere. So how about Mac, Parker & and a 6th for fields? So it would be fields, zap unfortunately, draft pick ,and veteran to battle it all out in camp. Zap would have the advantage over everyone by virtue of him being here. However everyone would be coming in fresh becuase Mayo's/ AVPs offense is going to be a Version of the west coast offense.

If that means passing on the QB at # 3 then it still leaves them with no QB for the future. If they got him for 5th, drafted a QB at 3, then used him for 1 season and got a 3rd round compensatory pick for him then I would be fine with it. But any scenario where he was still on their roster in 25’ can count me out.

BB’s financial model was one of the things he brought to the Patriots. There’s many early examples of him pointing out how the top tier of players on the team he inherited in 2000 were bloated and overpaid, his model of a robust middle class is well known.

The morons who hated him called it cheap, it wasn’t cheap, it was fiscally responsible and something the team should perpetuate going forward.

BB is supposedly responsible for everything the Patriots have done, not just the things that turned out poorly.
That only works well if you draft well and coach well.

So Bill was responsible for every iota of what went wrong up until his exit, but wasn't responsible for anything good... like cleaning up the books?

The Patriots are the same fiscally responsible team they were starting back in 2000 when BB and Pioili arrived and set the standard. We'll see if it continues from this point forward. But I think the Krafts understand the concept of spending to the cap and fielding a competitive team annually, rather than having a team that spends erratically and deals with peaks and valleys.
How did the Krafts do with spending before Bill took over? I don't remember them taking such a hard stance as Bill did when he got control of the purse strings, but I was never into the financial aspects of the game and may have missed that. The first time I remember complaints was when Bill traded Seymour.

BB’s financial model was one of the things he brought to the Patriots. There’s many early examples of him pointing out how the top tier of players on the team he inherited in 2000 were bloated and overpaid, his model of a robust middle class is well known.

The morons who hated him called it cheap, it wasn’t cheap, it was fiscally responsible and something the team should perpetuate going forward.

BB is supposedly responsible for everything the Patriots have done, not just the things that turned out poorly.
Bill had full control and that means that he's responsible for everything, good and bad, Unfortunately, his bad became worse and worse the last 4 years and Kraft rightfully dumped him.

Bill's "fiscal responsibility" had him dump three of the best offensive players they ever had and that left our team in the ****ter, while at the same time making himself the highest paid HC and going cheap on coaches. No hate there, just facts.

We are definitely in a position to say which guy we want. We are in a better position than in 2000 and we won the Super Bowl in 2001. Lift your chin up and have some pride. Guys will come here, we have a great tradition, a great coach, a great owner, and the best sports town in America. Stop making excuses and feeling sorry for yourself. With one good Free Agency and two good drafts we will be back in the Super Bowl just like we were in 2001, 2003, and 2004.
That's what I like most about the NYFL, especially now that the Pats are in the position they're in. Teams can turn things around in a hurry if they make the right choices.

How did the Krafts do with spending before Bill took over? I don't remember them taking such a hard stance as Bill did when he got control of the purse strings, but I was never into the financial aspects of the game and may have missed that. The first time I remember complaints was when Bill traded Seymour.
Initially the Kraft's spent money like fans - paying big money for the shiny stars and leaving little for the rest of the roster. The Bledsoe contract was discussed as the watershed moment when BB brought the mindset to pay for a strong middle class on the roster to provide the depth to deal with injuries and have a balanced team. As another poster highlighted, things fell apart when the draft stopped producing top tier talent needed to compete for championships.

Nothing like trading one terrible QB for another. Why wouldn't you take one of the plethora of better journeyman QBs that are available and let your first round QB sit for a year or take MHJ and figure out your QB situation from there
Fields in my opinion has more upside than Mac and zap combined. If he becomes available for minimum draft compensation then you make the move. No one is saying he's the solution. Why can't we have Fields, veteran QB, draft pick all on the roster. We need to right the QB position it's the main thing that's held this team back. Mac's time here is done with best for him to go elsewhere he deserves that. Zap is a practice squad QB. Also with AVP the offense projects to be a west coast style offense so everyone will be starting from ground zero.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back