PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker for a 2nd and 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This opens up a lot of possibilities for trading one of the 1st rounders. We picked up a LB and WR both thought to be 2 of the 3 positions the Pats will target in the first round. With Jackson entering his second year and now adding Welker to go along with Gaffney and Caldwell, I doubt a WR is high on the list for either of the first two rounds.

I used to think the same way until the Moss trade rumors won't go away.

Why do people get so upset about losing a 7th rounder?

I understand that a 7th can turn into Givens or Cassel, but more often than not they don't even get past the initial camp.

Not only that, but NE will likely have two extra 6th's from comp picks, and extra 7th from comps and Arizon'a 6th. If you really wanted a CD, and were willing to pay 10 dollars for it, would you really get upset if they were asking for $10.30?

That's tellin em! What a bunch of whinny wannabe GM/S on this board. I suspect most of em wouldn't know football from fargin futball.

What is everyone complaining about? We signed him to a cap-friendly contract and gave up a second (when we already have two #1's) and a seventh (which, as already been said, does not work out more than it does). Plus, we got a hard nosed, hard working, overacheiving athelete. Wes Welker has now become one of my favorite Patriots.

That's tellin em! What a bunch of whinny wannabe GM/S on this board. I suspect most of em wouldn't know football from fargin futball.

I can't tell if you are mocking me or them.

Well, whether the 7th round pick is worth much or not, the fact of the matter is we gave it away for nothing. NOTHING.

For this season right? That Arizona 6th is for the Gorin deal.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but teams who bring in more high profile FA's usually don't receive comp picks the following year. Comp picks are for the teams who lose more though free agency than they gain through it. Obviously we've gained more than we've lost in this market.

Next year we won't be getting any comp picks, so we need to stockpile on future choices via draft day trades. Unfortunately that just got harder because we've just passed two picks over to a division rival.

Are you serious Seymour?

Just think of Welker as the Pats' 2nd round pick, except with proven NFL experience.

What's wrong with that?

Last edited:
Well, whether the 7th round pick is worth much or not, the fact of the matter is we gave it away for nothing. NOTHING.

That and it's questionable as to whether Welker is worth a 2nd rounder alone.

To everyone incensed about our trading our 7th round pick

Point value of our #1a pick = 740

Point value of our #1b pick = 660

Point value of our second round pick pick = 300

Point value of our third round pick pick = 132

Point value of our seventh round pick = 3.4

3.4 points of value. You can't hardly even use it to trade up.

Last edited:
Are you serious Seymour?

Just think of Welker as the Pats' 2nd round pick, except with proven NFL experience.

What's wrong with that?

That doesn't completely work. 2nd round picks get paid virtually nothing. We don't know what Welker will be paid and that is a big factor in evaluating this deal.

We gave ALMOST nothing away for ALMOST nothing.

We gave a garbage pick away for Miami losing their rights to Welker.

Are we seriously quibbling over the 4th-to-last pick in the draft?

Last edited:
That doesn't completely work. 2nd round picks get paid virtually nothing. We don't know what Welker will be paid and that is a big factor in evaluating this deal.

And we don't know crap about how 2nd round picks will perform in the NFL.

But we DO know how Welker has performed in the NFL, especially against the Patriots (9 catches in October).

The Pats are paying for that security.

Last edited:
We gave ALMOST nothing away for ALMOST nothing.

We gave a garbage pick away for Miami losing their rights to Welker.
Yeah well we've had some decent 7th round picks. And we could have flipped it to a 6th next year most likely.

Why don't you all send me $1, it's almost nothing you don't need it.

A #2 for Welker is bad enough. This is downright embarassing.

To everyone incensed about our trading our 7th round pick

Point value of our #1a pick = 740

Point value of our #1b pick = 660

Point value of our second round pick pick = 300

Point value of our third round pick pick = 132

Point value of our seventh round pick = 3.4

3.4 points of value. You can't hardly even use it to trade up.

Thank you.
I was waiting for some studious fan to post the actual point info.
Bottom line: the Pats closed the deal, free of possible arbitration encumbrance and now CLEARLY understand their staffing BEFORE the draft. They paid a price. 4 points worth. Yet again the Pats show their superior management and FOCUS on the task ahead. The Wanker trade is now history rather than a lingering issue.

Are you serious Seymour?

What's wrong with that?

We can get a player with more talent in the 2nd round such as Aundrae Allison or Steve Smith. A late 3rd is fair for Welker IMO. Remember he was Miami's slot (3rd) WR. Besides, giving up draft picks for vets is what the Redskins do. Hopefully this is a one time deal.

Yeah well we've had some decent 7th round picks. And we could have flipped it to a 6th next year most likely.

Why don't you all send me $1, it's almost nothing you don't need it.

A #2 for Welker is bad enough. This is downright embarassing.

How could the Pats trade a 7th for a 6th straight up? Why would a team do that?

Again, you're quibbling over a completely pointless thing.

Why is your opinion of Welker so incredibly low? He's a damn good NFL wide receiver. He's easily the best the Pats have right now.

How could the Pats trade a 7th for a 6th straight up? Why would a team do that?
2007 #7 for 2008 #6. Those trades do happen. We've done them before.

I wish people would stop saying that "welker lost out". That $38+ Million contract was reported by one reporter, and we have no idea about his source. Actually we don't have any idea about Welker's new contract. I do know, knowing what I do about media, that there were 100 reporters out there looking to confirm the rumor of this contract for the past two days. What did they find?
OT I still would not give a second round pick for Welker (not to mention a 7th). But that is another discussion. Let me go fix my mock draft...

Last edited:
And we don't know crap about how 2nd round picks will perform in the NFL.

But we DO know how Welker has performed in the NFL, especially against the Patriots (9 catches in October).

We know he is a proven role player. Good slot WR, decent return man who doesn't fumble. The question is whether the price paid in picks and $ equals what we know about Welker as a player or exceeds what we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft