PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker for a 2nd and 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah well we've had some decent 7th round picks. And we could have flipped it to a 6th next year most likely.

Why don't you all send me $1, it's almost nothing you don't need it.

A #2 for Welker is bad enough. This is downright embarassing.

are you kidding...have you seen him play? This is a Patriot type player. We were giving up a second reguardless, but throwing in a 7th lets us sign him to a much cheaper contract. This is any but embarassing.

Here is King's write up:

Signing Welker to the offer sheet would have meant Miami could have matched the offer and kept him or that it could have let New England acquire Welker in exchange for a second-round pick only. Instead, the Patriots will surrender their second- and seventh-round choices. It's also likely under this scenario that New England will have to lay out less cash to sign Welker long term.

There were reports over the weekend that Welker would sign an offer sheet with New England averaging in the neighborhood of $6 million a year. With the deal being done this way, it's highly unlikely the Patriots will be making the 5-foot-9 Welker that rich.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/03/05/welker/index.html

Here are the Pats' 7th round picks in the Belichick era:

2006 - Willie Andrews, DB
2005 - Matt Cassel, QB
2005 - Andy Stokes, TE
2004 - Christian Morton, CB
2003 - Spencer Nead, TE
2003 - Tully Banta-Cain, OLB
2003 - Ethan Kelley, NT
2002 - Antwoine Womack, RB
2002 - David Givens, WR
2001 - Owen Pochman, K
2001 - T.J. Turner, LB
2000 - Casey Tisdale, OLB
2000 - Patrick Pass, RB

How could the Pats trade a 7th for a 6th straight up? Why would a team do that?

Again, you're quibbling over a completely pointless thing.

Why is your opinion of Welker so incredibly low? He's a damn good NFL wide receiver. He's easily the best the Pats have right now.

I think people have put too much stock into the importance of the draft picks. We got him for fair value. Not every transaction we make is going to be a shrewd steal, gimme a break.

NO 7TH ROUNDER IS GOING TO MAKE THIS TEAM AND CONTRIBUTE THE WAY WELKER IS.

I just hope by the end of next season, all of u people bashing this deal will come forward and admit how wrong you all truly were.

He's twenty-freakin'-five!

And Antwaan Randle El was 26 when he broke the bank with the Redskins. Don't expect Welker to come here and be the clear cut number one. He's been a slot WR and nothing more.

Last edited:
2007 #7 for 2008 #6. Those trades do happen. We've done them before.

This is getting crazy.

Why don't we just trade for every NFL teams' 7th round picks just for we can get a chance at drafting the next David Givens!

C'mon, BBFan, get real. 6th and 7th round picks aren't worth much of anything in the NFL. They're bargaining chips. They're tossed into situations like these just as an extra little incentive. But both teams knew the 7th round pick was likely not going to amount to ANYTHING.

NO 7TH ROUNDER IS GOING TO MAKE THIS TEAM AND CONTRIBUTE THE WAY WELKER IS.

How do you know this? It can happen. Welker wasn't even a 7th rounder, he was an UDRFA.

It's like chickens running around with their heads cut off.

Is the 28th pick in the 7th round really that big of a deal?

We wasted a 2nd round pick on friggin Bethel Johnson. More people should complain about that d%#*!@t.

:rocker:

And Antwaan Randle El was 26 when he broke the bank with the Redskins. Don't expect Welker to come here and be the clear cut number one. He's been a slot WR and nothing more.

He is a far more accomplished player than both caldwell and gaffney were before they came here. BB will coach him up. Bank on it. When his jersey hits the market, I will be one of the first to buy it.

A slot WR with more catches than any player on the Dolphins or Pats in 2006.

Yeah well we've had some decent 7th round picks. And we could have flipped it to a 6th next year most likely.

Why don't you all send me $1, it's almost nothing you don't need it.

A #2 for Welker is bad enough. This is downright embarassing.

I'm sorry, but are all you people slow or something? Wes Welker is a proven NFL receiver and special teams player. The Patriots were about one NFL receiver short of the Super Bowl last year. One could easily make the argument that one quality wideout would have given them the bye last year. And you're quibbling over a seventh-rounder? There's no functional difference between the 28th pick in the seventh round and a free-agent. We've had some 7th-rounders work out, but we've had just as many free agents work out. This Patriots team is stacked. It needs speed in the secondary and maybe one or two impact players on offense, and that's about it. On two of the most important downs of the year last year -- on that pass that Troy saved the interception on against SD and that fatal 3rd and 4 incomplete at the end of the Colts game -- Tom Brady was throwing to 500 year-old Troy Brown, because no one else was open. Welker is exactly the kind of tough, dependable, shifty, gritty receiver we need for those third-down go-to situations. I'd take him over Stallworth and Kevin Curtis and even Drew Bennett in a heartbeat.

Or we can send him back to Miami and reclaim the fifth-to-last pick in the draft. Maybe pick up the next Marty Moore. Sounds like a much better idea...

A) That was the Skins
B) Randle-El is nothing without the trick play, and everybody but the Skins knew it
C) A slot receiver who consistently moves the chains? I'll take him. I don't care if he's the #3 or not.

This is getting crazy.

Why don't we just trade for every NFL teams' 7th round picks just for we can get a chance at drafting the next David Givens!

C'mon, BBFan, get real. 6th and 7th round picks aren't worth much of anything in the NFL. They're bargaining chips. They're tossed into situations like these just as an extra little incentive. But both teams knew the 7th round pick was likely not going to amount to ANYTHING.

and you forget 6th or 7th are the only bragaining chips if you want Randy Moss. personally they would have to pay me to take him.

How do you know this? It can happen. Welker wasn't even a 7th rounder, he was an UDRFA.

Give me a break man. No player in this draft that we pick in the 7th round will make it on this team and play all of the positions that welker will play. Is their even a player in the draft like him that will be that low??

Lets see here

PR
KR
WR
K
and for extra measures, I am sure BB will teach him to play DB just to show it off.

We can get a player with more talent in the 2nd round such as Aundrae Allison or Steve Smith. A late 3rd is fair for Welker IMO. Remember he was Miami's slot (3rd) WR. Besides, giving up draft picks for vets is what the Redskins do. Hopefully this is a one time deal.

Again, he had more catches than either Booker or Chambers.

Stop dwelling on his role with the Dolphins. It just makes you look ignorant.

The Dolphins weren't going to trade a 3rd for Welker if they could get a 2nd by holding out. The Pats gave the Dolphins a 2nd in turn for a smaller contract that wouldn't have to be large enough or include enough of a poison pill to keep the Dolphins from matching.

Last edited:
We wasted a 2nd round pick on friggin Bethel Johnson. More people should complain about that d%#*!@t.

:rocker:

And we "wasted" a 2nd round pick on friggin Matt Light. :rolleyes:

Just because some may have disappointed doesn't mean we should disregard those picks now.

He led the team in Catches, PR & KR. That's pretty special.

Granted, it was on the the phins (with Joey H :rolleyes: ), but still .

Put it this way, would you have given up a 2nd and 7th for Troy Brown in 1996 ? Probably, huh......

Welker is eons ahead of where Brown was back after his 3rd year. Not saying Welker will become Troy Brown, but the UPSIDE is certainly there....

Last edited:
If you were upset about the second rounder, then it seems consistent to be upset that it's the second plus the seventh.

But I'm not sure I understand going from "alright, the second, I can live with that" to "OMG NO F'N WAY" when a seventh rounder gets thrown in. I understand, I don't like giving draft picks away either, but if you're going to be upset, be upset at the second round pick.

Or be upset when we know the salary, on top of the draft picks. That's what I'm waiting for, and then I will scream at BB and Pioli along with everyone else. :)

Amazing!
Draft weenies have their panties atwist because of a 7th round pick.
CLUE #!: Pats have too many picks this draft and can/should use low value picks to gain advantage elsewhere
CLUE #2: By trading NOW the pats CLOSE the issue and avoid any potential for league action or arbitration. The Pats KNOW with certainty their situation re:Welker
CLUE #3: They just traded for their best WR
CLUE #4: Last years' Patriots #2 pick contributed nothing towards the championship. Look how much Welker contributed to his team with the AFCE's WORST QBs.

LEARN THE GAME, people!!!

Last edited:
And we "wasted" a 2nd round pick on friggin Matt Light. :rolleyes:

Just because some may have disappointed doesn't mean we should disregard those picks now.

You're right. We shouldn't disregard Wes Welker, the 2nd round pick of the New England Patriots in the 2007 NFL Draft.

And the best part is, he's already proven himself, and by no means has disappointed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes