PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker for a 2nd and 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about the trade but welker is a good player(3rd receiver) , he kinda reminds me of Wayne Chrebet,i hope we do something else to solidify the reciving corp. I hope we pick up Moss or Stallworth

My wife wants her own jersey. I guess we know whose name will be on the back now.

Was this suposed to say, ".....Welker wanted a real...."?

Yeah. Sorry. Wanted.

Who knows? I can see where the necessity to tack a couple of poison pill years on the end of a contract could actually make it more difficult to do a contract that would be beneficial to the player and the team.

Another example might be if Welker wanted to trade dollars for a bigger incentive upside. That might be hard to do in an a poison pill deal.

Who knows?

I think the simplest explanation is that both teams got a "suggestion" from the league to avoid actually executing the poison pill. The treat of it had already made the deal a fait accompli, so "come on guys, work something out, OK!"

I think this whole thing has been brilliant. Look at it -- the Pats slyly used the threat of the poison pill to force a division rival to trade them the guy who was arguably their offensive MVP last season. You think Miami wanted to send Welker to Foxboro of all places? :D

Welcome aboard, Mr. Welker. Given the Terrell Owens and Chris Henry types who tend to populate the WR ranks in the NFL, it's a pleasure to have another Troy Brown.

Are you going to change your name?

Or, better yet, are you going to change that arse in your avatar?

Name, maybe. They can keep the av. Lets face it. When it comes to cheerleaders, at least, the fins girls are better.

You never know Odds are the pick wouldn't be a great one, but you never know.

The point isn't that you might find a diamond in the rough, but rather that about 30 seconds after the 28th pick in the seventh round, you could just call the guy up and sign him to a UDFA contract. Teams aren't really battling each other for hot prospects with the final four picks of the draft. Half the time they are drafting sumo wrestlers or volleyball players just on the odd chance that they might play football some day.

Also as someone mentioned in another thread, Welker actually kicked a 31 fard FG against us. Talk about versatility, that's not something you hope we'd ever have to count on, but it's just something more he brings to the table.

Hmmm, imagine if sometime the Pats line up for a short FG on a 4th and 1 with Welker as the "kicker".....could definitely give a DC reason to think.

Nobody is going to be crying about that 7th round pick next season when Wes Welker is picking up key first down after key first down for us.

And I agree with those that say the Pats aren't done. Another receiver? A safety? Another linebacker? They're moving on to somebody else after this deal.

Last edited:
The point isn't that you might find a diamond in the rough, but rather that about 30 seconds after the 28th pick in the seventh round, you could just call the guy up and sign him to a UDFA contract. Teams aren't really battling each other for hot prospects with the final four picks of the draft. Half the time they are drafting sumo wrestlers or volleyball players just on the odd chance that they might play football some day.

Hey man, don't forget the 7th round comp picks! That is where the real gold is.

To all: I don't think anyone disputes that there is *value* in a 7th rounder, it is just that the value isn't nearly as high as some think. This is particularly true this year with NE being so flush with second day picks.

I can think of 38 million. Welker is the one who got screwed in this deal.

Maybe Welker wanted out of Miami and was a willing participant in leaking that little bit of misdirection. After all, the news stories of the "woahhh. THIRTY EIGHT MILLION dollars" obviously convinced the Dolphins that losing Welker was inevitable.

Look out for the Dolphins in the next beach volleyball competition! :p

Hey man, don't forget the 7th round comp picks! That is where the real gold is.

Oh, how could I forget.

Let's put it this way. I don't think too many GMs go home after the draft and say, "Damn, somebody stole MY GUY with the 28th pick of the seventh round."

It's kind of like reaching into a bowl of M&Ms and being upset that you got a red one. BFD.

Maybe Welker wanted out of Miami and was a willing participant in leaking that little bit of misdirection. After all, the news stories of the "woahhh. THIRTY EIGHT MILLION dollars" obviously convinced the Dolphins that losing Welker was inevitable.

Yeah, something was amuck with this whole story - the Pats made an offer, they didn't - there was a $20 million poison pill - then, there wasn't but the Pats were going to pay $10 mil SB, etc, etc. Sounded like whatever they said someone ran with it into scoop city.

That 7th pick just allows BB to go home from the draft earlier - but wait, they will probably get a comp pick and he will have to stick around. Actually, for the rest of us, that draft will be over after Day 1.

...... add to that s that the the "poison pill" basically eff's the other team and is a "arm twist" maneuver in the URFA market. Not that I care about effing the fins. BUT..................... what comes around usually goes around.

A garbage 7th tossed in to avoid it is a better option.

Oh, how could I forget.

Let's put it this way. I don't think too many GMs go home after the draft and say, "Damn, somebody stole MY GUY with the 28th pick of the seventh round."

It's kind of like reaching into a bowl of M&Ms and being upset that you got a red one. BFD.

What! :eek:

I hate the MF red ones. :mad:

Your analogies are starting to piss me off.

:ditto:

If anything, Miami should be giving us THEIR 7th rounder. That deal is highway robbery. Sorry, Welker is a nice player but he's not worth to go Dan Synder over.

Calm down, Seymour.

Does it really matter if the Pats get another Andy Stokes in the 5th-to-last pick in the draft?

They're going to get another couple of 6th/7th rounders anyway.

Don't sweat it. The 7th round pick was an excellent way to avoid all of the RFA jumble that the Pats would have to deal with this week.

This opens up a lot of possibilities for trading one of the 1st rounders. We picked up a LB and WR both thought to be 2 of the 3 positions the Pats will target in the first round. With Jackson entering his second year and now adding Welker to go along with Gaffney and Caldwell, I doubt a WR is high on the list for either of the first two rounds. Now picking up Thomas and with an abundence of quality/servicable LB's still on the Market they will have a lot of flexibility on draft day at the position. Tomase mentioned Davis from FSU as possible 2nd round target of the Pats. So maybe they draft a DB with the 24th pick trade down and grab him. Or they draft Willis or someone they really like at 24 and trade down to a high second round and grab a DB who may have slipped.

There are so many scenarios to bolster next years picks and history tells us that the Pats will pick up an additonal pick or two for the 2008 draft. We could trade one of the firsts and possibly pick up a low 2nd or a high 3rd and another number 1 next year. The possibilities are endless and we have people worried about a 7th round pick. :confused:

Oswlek is right on target, as usual.

We're going to have what--12 draft choices? So now we'll have 11. Three or four won't make the team.

Welker a proven commodity. That can't be said about any of our draft choices, including the two number 1s.

At any rate, this is a guy I really want on our team. He is a Football Player, in the best sense of that word.

What a wonderful free agency it has been--Thomas, Welker, Morris, Brady. Even without Graham, we are a significantly stronger team than we were last year.
A 2nd and a 7th would make it 10 by my count...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back