PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker for a 2nd and 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, he had more catches than either Booker or Chambers.

Stop dwelling on his role with the Dolphins. It just makes you look ignorant.

The Dolphins weren't going to trade a 3rd for Welker if they could get a 2nd by holding out. The Pats gave the Dolphins a 2nd in turn for a smaller contract that wouldn't have to be large enough or include enough of a poison pill to keep the Dolphins from matching.

I just dont get it. If we had made this trade for chambers, people would be going ape**** in excitement. Welker however is just a short, slow, slot receiver whos just going to stay in the slot for the rest of his career. Welker outperformed CHAMBERS. We just took the best WR from a divisional rival. C'mon now. Maybe not the most gifted they have but definitely their best performer.
Now, imagine what he is going to be like with a coaching staff leaps and bounds above the rest.

Amazing!
Draft weenies have their panties atwist because of a 7th round pick.
CLUE #!: Pats have too many picks this draft and can/should use low value picks to gain advantage elsewhere
CLUE #2: By trading NOW the pats CLOSE the issue and avoid any potential for league action or arbitration. The Pats KNOW with certainty their situation re:Welker
CLUE #3: They just traded for their best WR
CLUE #4: Last years' Patriots #2 pick contributed nothing towards the championship. Look how much Welker contributed to his team with the AFCE's WORST QBs.

LEARN THE GAME, people!!!
And how did they do last year?

You're right. We shouldn't disregard Wes Welker, the 2nd round pick of the New England Patriots in the 2007 NFL Draft.

And the best part is, he's already proven himself, and by no means has disappointed.

Well played, sir. Well played.

Here's a question for some of you:

-Will having Wes Welker or not affect the New England Patriots' chances at winning a Super Bowl once or more in the next 5 years?

-Will having the 4th-to-last pick in the 2007 draft affect the New England Patriots' chances at winning a Super Bowl once or more in the next 5 years?

Here's a question for some of you:

-Will having Wes Welker or not affect the New England Patriots' chances at winning a Super Bowl once or more in the next 5 years?

-Will having the 4th-to-last pick in the 2007 draft affect the New England Patriots' chances at winning a Super Bowl once or more in the next 5 years?

1. Yes..........

2. We'll never know...... and I'm okay to hedge my bet against this question to ensure that the first answer was a yes.

Last edited:
1. Yes..........

2. We'll never know...... and I'm okay to hedge my bet against this question to ensure that the first answer was a yes.

"In all likelihood..."

Last edited:
Thisd is looking like one sweet deal.
Those of you who are'nt happy with this, I'm wondering how many times you've seen him play. This guy is darn good. And a dangerous returner as well.
This team just got a bunch better.Like someone said, consider him our second round pick this year. Nice.

Nfl network just reported 5 years $18.5M, approx $10M guaranteed for Welker.

Barry

That'll be a steal. All you naysayers are going to be singing a different tune when Welker catches 80 balls for us next year.

If you aren't happy about trading a #2 for Welker, you may have a valid concern. Going apesh!t because we threw in a 7th rounder, I can't understand. Look at it this way. The Pats traded for the rights to Wes Welker. They now own his rights. Welker can either:
1. Sign the tender offer of 1 yr at $1.3M.
2. The Pats can sign him to a "real" long term contract(no 7/38.5M bull****) at agreeable terms.
Or 3. Welker can sign with anybody else and the Pats get that teams 2nd rounder as compensation.

Best case, Welker signs a cap friendly deal and the Pats get good production at a good price.
Worst case, Welker signs elsewhere and the Pats receive a pick worse than #60.(Indy, Chi, SD, ?)Chances of that happening are virtually nil.
If Welker signs elsewhere, chances are the pick will be better than #60. Who wouldn't trade pick #60 and our 7th for pick number 48, for instance.
Argue all you want that Welker isn't worth pick #60, you might have a valid point.(I disagree but I can see merit in that argument). But don't say that getting Welker's rights early in FA aren't worth a #2 and #7. If we don't sign Welker to a "good" deal, we get a #2 back in compensation from whoever does sign him.

**edit** Just saw Taxed in Maine's post. Looks like it choice 2. Sign Welker to a real contract at agreeable terms.

Last edited:
I read over at Indy star that it was a 37 million contract. It made me laugh. If it is for 18 mil. Thats a great bargain. Welker kept Miami in the game at Indy at the end of the year. He isnt worth 37 mil though. I need a loan Wes!

That 7th round draft choice is basically the U.S. Warheads in Turkey taken down after the Cuba Missile Crisis.

The face-saving charitable donation to the losing side (Kruschev/Dolphins) :)

As a former History major, I say bravo on the analogy.

We can get a player with more talent in the 2nd round such as Aundrae Allison or Steve Smith.

Many analyses have shown that WR is the single hardest position to predict from the college ranks, with the highest percentage of high-round busts. The best rookie receivers last year were a 2nd-rounder, a 7th-rounder, and a UDFA. 2nd rounders sometimes turn out as good as Deion Branch, sometimes as bad as Bethel Johnson, and sometimes as middle-of-the-pack as Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney. And of course, there's a learning curve.

Calling a guy like Aundrae Allison, with all of 2 years DI experience at East Carolina, "more talented" than Welker is mighty shaky. Chad Jackson is "more talented" than Aundrae Allison, and much more experienced. But of the three of them Welker would be the best bet to have a productive season with the Patriots next year.

The beauty of signing such a young vet is that you get production now AND five years down the line. This is a good trade.

For those complaining about losing the 7th. Did you think that by giving up the 7th the deal becomes a trade and not a FA signing. It means that Welker doesn't count in compensation offsets.

I don't know who the Pats lose this year, but will probably lose TBC and Graham, Pass and perhaps others. They would be entitled to compensation for losing three and signing one in AD.

Were Morrris and Brady cut?

That means we would probably get a 5 6 or 7 when done. So we haven't lost anything,

We might have gained a 5th or 6th or 7th by trading away the 7th !!:rocker:

For those complaining about losing the 7th. Did you think that by giving up the 7th the deal becomes a trade and not a FA signing. It means that Welker doesn't count in compensation offsets.

I don't know who the Pats lose this year, but will probably lose TBC and Graham, Pass and perhaps others. They would be entitled to compensation for losing three and signing one in AD.

Were Morrris and Brady cut?

That means we would probably get a 5 6 or 7 when done. So we haven't lost anything,

We might have gained a 5th or 6th or 7th by trading away the 7th !!:rocker:

No, both were UFAs.

Again, he had more catches than either Booker or Chambers.

Stop dwelling on his role with the Dolphins. It just makes you look ignorant.

The Dolphins weren't going to trade a 3rd for Welker if they could get a 2nd by holding out. The Pats gave the Dolphins a 2nd in turn for a smaller contract that wouldn't have to be large enough or include enough of a poison pill to keep the Dolphins from matching.

Good post. The point about his role is that Chambers and Booker, both pretty good receivers, either couldn't get open (unlikely) or the QB couldn't find them.
Welker could both get open and be found. Tom is going to love this kid. And, his prescence is going to make our 2 #2's more successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes