PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker for a 2nd and 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only question I have is with regard to the length of the deal. It certainly *is* a bad deal if he is only here for one year.

Hopefully news will come out that they extended his contract.

Right, well, trading for him as opposed to going through the RFA business gives us more freedom to approach signing him on our terms. To me, that's worth a 7th rounder.

this is dead on. think about all the 3rd downs conversions he would have generated against the colts in the afc championship. he is gutsy and doesn't mind going over the middle. he had a great year last year with a couple of grandpa's throwing to him. so we spend a seventh that won't even make the team anyone. i think it was a great deal and we will save a ton of cap space instead of the 7/38 contract.

What he said.

QB12

Isn't it an amazing coincidence (wink/wink) that once Saban leaves Miami that we are getting the inside track on some of these Dolphins?

Right, well, trading for him as opposed to going through the RFA business gives us more freedom to approach signing him on our terms. To me, that's worth a 7th rounder.

but we could have drafted the next marques colston with that pick :rolleyes: :bricks:

The Patriots have seen lots of Welker and had plenty of time to consider this move. I have no doubt BB and SP are totally in lockstep as to how much value Welker has to this franchise. Drink the Koolaid!

It's the 28th pick of the 7th and final round of the draft. Any player available then will be available four picks later to sign as rookie free agent. It's a totally worthless pick.

This trade was done for one reason: The NFL called the Pats and the Dolphins and said to figure out something other an a poison pill offer sheet. I expect the union to file collusion charges.

This makes some sense to me, and may have merit. To tell you the truth, I like this arrangement better. I'm not a big "poison pill" fan anyway. That 7th was as close to a garbage pic as you can get. It's a toss in and doesn't really sweeten the phins position on in the great scheme.

The only question I have is with regard to the length of the deal. It certainly *is* a bad deal if he is only here for one year.

Hopefully news will come out that they extended his contract.

I agree with this and can only hope is something in the works already.

Last edited:
Not only that, but NE will likely have two extra 6th's from comp picks, and extra 7th from comps and Arizon'a 6th.

For this season right? That Arizona 6th is for the Gorin deal.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but teams who bring in more high profile FA's usually don't receive comp picks the following year. Comp picks are for the teams who lose more though free agency than they gain through it. Obviously we've gained more than we've lost in this market.

Next year we won't be getting any comp picks, so we need to stockpile on future choices via draft day trades. Unfortunately that just got harder because we've just passed two picks over to a division rival.

I agree. I just wish that we knew that Welker is going to be here for 5+ years already.

I :rocker: Welker.

You know....it's possible that Welker wan't a real long-term deal, not a short-term deal with a couple of bogus poison pill years tacked on the end that would almost ensure his getting cut in four years.

Who knows? We'll just have to wait to see the terms of an extension.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but teams who bring in more high profile FA's usually don't receive comp picks the following year. Comp picks are for the teams who lose more though free agency than they gain through it. Obviously we've gained more than we've lost in this market.

Next year we won't be getting any comp picks, so we need to stockpile on future choices via draft day trades. Unfortunately that just got harder because we've just passed two picks over to a division rival.

Yes, the 6th is this year. Don't fret too much on losing the 7th. Even a bad gm isn't going to give that much value one of the final picks before 7th round comps. Likely the best that would have come out of it in a trade is a 2008 7th.

You know....it's possible that Welker wan't a real long-term deal, not a short-term deal with a couple of bogus poison pill years tacked on the end that would almost ensure his getting cut in four years.

Who knows? We'll just have to wait to see the terms of an extension.

Was this suposed to say, ".....Welker wanted a real...."?

Last edited:
That 7th round draft choice is basically the U.S. Warheads in Turkey taken down after the Cuba Missile Crisis.

The face-saving charitable donation to the losing side (Kruschev/Dolphins) :)

Wasn't Colston from NO a 7th rounder? Brady a sixth? You never know Odds are the pick wouldn't be a great one, but you never know.

a seventh rounf puick to save 2-3 million a year...Sounds like a deal to me...

Sad to see him go, but it was a good deal.

I like this deal, we are getting someone we know, a typical pats player.. I suspect it is a sign and trade, and the numbers will probably be friendly to our cap. It is a win..win situation, we are getting comp picks anyways, so we will pick up more that way. He seems hardnosed and tough over the middle, I know lots of folks want that speed type receiver, but he is someone who will move the chains.

Are you going to change your name?

Or, better yet, are you going to change that arse in your avatar?

Guess you'll need a need pseudonym or come over to the "dark side" Welker83. :)

Damn, cant get a good days sleep around here without more FA twists!

Ok, this doesn't make sense. If the team could have forced the hand of the fins for a 2nd, why give up a 2nd and a 7th? Granted that pick is only 3 away from Mr irrellevent, but still.....

What are the details of the offer to Welker? I know he was in town today. I'm sure that there must have been a cap friendly (for us) reason to change the method. The devil is in the details.

So, does anyone have the details? $4mm, isnt$4mm, isnt $4mm. What is the bonus/salary structure of the deal? My guess is Wes gets his bonus, and the team gets a much friendlier structure to the deal than the poison pill deal, the fins get that extra pick and the league doesn't have to deal with the union about this whole pill mess again. Kinda an everyone wins deal?

So what are the details?

Its true, we won't get significant comp. picks next year. The thing of it is, Dan Stevenson and Jeremy Mincey were drafted last year in the 6th round, and didn't make the team. In fact Stevenson is with the Dolphins. When you have lots of day 2 picks, and only so many spots on the 53 open ... you are going to be drafting for other teams. The 219th pick was worth not getting into poison pill.

Last edited:
So basically a (pick 28 in 2nd) 3rd rounder and 7th rounder?

Psshh.. People make it out like we gave away both 1sts! Jesus.

Good move, get the deal done and out of the way so that the Braintrust can make further moves. This guy fills a real niche for us - (adds to the receiver corps and is a KR/PR) and is as familiar and known to our people as any player could possibly be - cmon what "F"n more do you want? This is a sweet move in my book.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back