PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Weis leaving KC for U of Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Charlie Weis to leave chiefs after this season?

One thing though, I have no issues w/ Weis or Crennel's ability. In fact I wished they both came back to NE. I not dumping on Weis, I'm just saying theres a totem pole of heirarchy and Weis is lower than Haley, and if things don't work out in Fla. then I hope he thinks about comming home to NE.

I'm on the fence with those two, but for a different reason.

First of all, CW and RAC are GREAT OCs. Pats could not do wrong if they came back, but the problem is that you are showing staffers that there is a glass ceiling and that is something BB will never do to the up and commers in the org. He believes in hard work being rewarded with upward mobility.

Plus, I think they have something good with Billy O'Brian. He seems to have found his way as an OC from a gameplanning and playcalling standpoint. No question he and TB are in lock-step and I'd hate to see that get disrupted at this point.

As far a RAC, the story is that BB wanted him, but he already signed a deal with Pioli for more money. The rumor is that BB wanted more fire, communication and teaching on defense which is why Pees is not here and guys like Patricia and Corwin Brown are running the details along with Josh Boyer and Pepper w/ BB developing strategy. With that said, RAC is all 3 qualities that I mentioned. He would have done a great job with this defense.

Last edited:

Personally I think Haley is playing with fire. Pioli set him up nice and he couldn't play nice because his ego was getting ouchy. Now the problems start because Scott either brings in another Weis system OC (Daboll, Davidson should both be available shortly, no way it's Josh) and hope he can coexist with Haley and meshes with Cassel or he lets Haley pick someone he worked with elsewhere and/or call the plays himself and if the team takes a step back Pioli is on the phone at the end of 2011 to Ferentz to see if he's ready to move to the NFL yet...or if his rep is rehabbed sufficiently Josh wants another shot at HC.

If you have a GM interfereing with the HC, such as having an offensive coordinator trying to go over his head (note: I don't know or think that happened) then it creates turmoil. Its like if someone goes to the GM at work because he doesn't like what the Manager decided, unless its very egregous the GM has to side with the manager no matter how good of friends or skilled the employee is. Otherwise it will quickly turn into a production disaster,

If, I mean If, Weis and Haley were clashing, there can be only one cheif Cheif (pun), and Pioli, either gets rid of Haley, or lets Weis walk away friends. When it comes to football or anything for that matter, when upper management interfere with his supervisors (HC) then the supervisors (HC) loses any sembalence of authority and the inmates run the aslyum.

It's hard to know for certain what happened behind the scenes, but I saw things unfold a bit differently.

Pioli chose Haley to be his head coach, so it's clear he wants him to succeed. But that first year was a train wreck. They wanted Romeo to be their DC but couldn't get him. So then they settle on Clancy Pendergast, who had done an awful job the previous season, but the defense did well in the play-offs and Haley worked with him. This was probably Haley's call more than Pioli's.

Pendergast proceeded to suck. Haley then fired OC Chan Gailey and took over play-calling duties in the pre-season. While Gailey isn't a great coach or anything, of the trio, he's the only one with HC experience and could/should have been a veteran voice for Haley to rely on and learn from. Instead, the first-time HC is now running a team, handling the offense, and tied down with a crappy DC he chose. He's arguing with players. He's trying to change the culture of the team. By week 2, he was telling the press he wouldn't hesitate to bench Cassel (Pioli's other big off-season acquisition) if it would help the team. Throughout all this, Pioli doesn't interfere, but the season concludes with a 4-12 record.

This off-season, I think Pioli decides he has to do something. Haley is an inexperienced HC, he has no veteran coaches around him, and letting him run wild didn't end with good results so Pioli goes out and gets some senior experienced coordinators. They get Romeo, who was their first choice last season anyways. With Weis, I honestly believe Haley gave it his blessing, but I also don't think he thought it through properly. He probably thought their previous work experience would be enough, and that Weis would respect that he is the HC and defer to him.

The season starts, the team gets on a roll, and suddenly Romeo and Charlie are getting the majority of the credit. After all, they're the biggest changes from last year's 4-12 team. Haley has a bit of an ego, and I think he's a bit insecure in his first gig as HC, which may be why he was so quick to fire the more experienced Gailey last season. He's not thrilled with Weis not deferring to him, probably feels Charlie is even undermining him with the offensive players, and there's a bit of a power struggle between the two which continues throughout the season. Pioli must know by now.

As you said, the GM can't interfere or else undermine the HC in front of the entire team. At the same time, I'm sure Charlie knows he's not going to win in the long run. He can piss off Haley for fun, but at the end of the day, it's just not going to work out. Rather than put Pioli in the uncomfortable position of having to fire him, he starts checking around to see if anything is available, which is how the Florida thing comes up. Which brings us to today.

Granted 99% of the above is fictional or can't be proven. But that's how I saw it unfold, and I think Pioli knew he couldn't side with a coordinator or else he'd have to fire his first choice as head coach, so I think Charlie decided to take care of it himself.

Last edited:

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- A person familiar with the decision says Florida Gators has hired former Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis as offensive coordinator.

The person, who spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the move has not been formally announced, says it will made public Monday.

Report: Florida hires Weis to be offensive coordinator - ESPN

Our farm team is in good hands with Muschamp (who BB is tight with) and now Charlie! :D

Last edited:

Our farm team is in good hands with Muschamp (who BB is tight with) and now Charlie! :D

Yep Muschamp was LSUs DC under Saban.

Find this whole development interesting... apparently they want him for recruitment purposes as well..

Guess everything is not all that rosy in Kansas City....

Charlie is also added to our scouting department, assignment SEC....

Last edited:

Yep Muschamp was LSUs DC under Saban.

Charlie is also added to our scouting department, assignment SEC....

I have this wishful dream that Tom Brady's successor will be recruited and groomed by Weis at Florida. Somehow we are able to trade up to get him and then Weis will return to New England to begin another Dynastic Run. By then, an experienced, late in their Prime LB corp of Mayo, Spikes, and Fletcher will help carry the young QB to a 2001-esque Championship.

I have this wishful dream that Tom Brady's successor will be recruited and groomed by Weis at Florida. Somehow we are able to trade up to get him and then Weis will return to New England to begin another Dynastic Run. By then, an experienced, late in their Prime LB corp of Mayo, Spikes, and Fletcher will help carry the young QB to a 2001-esque Championship.

I dunno, the last two college QB's Charlie groomed and/or recruited have been total busts at the NFL level. Remember, Charlie didn't pick Tommy out, **** and Bill did. And they also acted as his QB coaches for the first couple of seasons... Not to downplay Charlie's role in helping Tommy develop, but a lot of what facilitated that was genetic...

This is such awesome news for Gators fans. Muschamp is a good defensive mind and Weis is one of the best offensive minds on the market. He also helps the recruiting process, which was expected to take a huge step back after the departure of Urban Meyer. I wonder how he's going to re-tool the offense. I hope he isn't planning on keeping John Brantley? Brantley a better fit for his offense, but is a terrible quarterback.

Too bad for KC that Haley can't get alone with ex-Patriot offensive coordinators, given that he has an ex-Patriot boss and an ex-Patriot QB ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes