PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Weis/Crennel next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given his contract, I fully expect that Weis will be coaching Notre Dame next season.

Exactly! You would think New England fans wouldn't listen to the stupid media's opinions after all we've been through. Just because someone wants to write a story about him, all of a sudden he's job is on the line? No way! Notre Dame isn't doing too well, but is getting better and Charlie's contract makes it almost impossible for them to let him go. I think I heard that his buyout is anywhere from 14 to 21 million dollars. Charlie Weiss will be back with Notre Dame, period!

I'd love it, but I don't see it happening. I can't think of a time that a former coordinator returned to a team after leaving for greener pastures. Seems like kind of a professional taboo.

I do think that McDaniels will get a coaching offer this year. He will get a lot of media credit after Cassell leads the team to a first round bye and a playoff win or tow. Look at all the teams that will be looking for new coaches next offseason. Cleveland, Cincy, Oakland, Dallas, St Louis, maybe KC, Tampa and Detroit too. Someone is going to look at McDaniels.

Next year, I'd like to see both of them in Nutrisystem commericals.

Just a little food for thought. How many times did you see BB coaching up the defense on the sideline when RAC was here? The past two seasons BB has been spending alot of time talking to the D on the bench.

I don't know for sure what that means about Pees, but I would happily take back RAC. I like Charlie too, but I think Josh has done a fine job.

Anyone know what his contract is like?

It doesn't matter... if he's offered a HC job and decides to take it, he can void his current contract.

Say Charlie does get fired (and I don't think he will. They'll probably finish 7-5 and he'll get one more shot). He's going to get an enormous payment from Notre Dame. Would he even want to come back the next year, instead of taking a year off?

And not only that, but I'm guessing he wouldn't be the offensive coordinator. Remember when BB came here in 95, he wasn't the defensive coordinator, Al Groh was, and Parcells didn't demote Groh, just as BB wouldn't demote McDaniels. Weis would be the asst head coach/offense or something like that.

At this point, I wouldn't replace McDaniels with Weis. I would prefer more continuity of the coaching staff.
I like continuity, but with the proviso that the person is question is an asset that you want to keep. Otherwise, Detroit would have been better keeping Matt Millen for continuity.

JM has failed to impress me. I'm okay (I guess) if he stays, but would be very pleased if he left or was let go.

But I am 100% opposed to keeping him merely for the sake of continuity.

I like continuity, but with the proviso that the person is question is an asset that you want to keep. Otherwise, Detroit would have been better keeping Matt Millen for continuity.

JM has failed to impress me. I'm okay (I guess) if he stays, but would be very pleased if he left or was let go.

But I am 100% opposed to keeping him merely for the sake of continuity.

McDaniels has been solid. I do agree you don't keep contiuity for the sake of continuity, but when you have a well above average OC like McDaniels, you keep him.

I don't think people will love Weis nearly as much with this defense supporting him if he came back. This team cannot survive the three and out gameplan like Weis had in 2003. That offense was average at best, but was hidden by the best defense in Patriots history. People forget that Weis was just as frustrating at times as people feel about McDaniels.

Sorry, what McDaniels has done in the last two years has impressed the hell out of me. It has to Belichick too based on how much autonomy he is given.

BTW, I don't think there is a chance Weis is fired. How does Jack Swarbrick (ND Athletic Director) ask the Board for $14-21 million to let Weis go? ND is in a deal that makes it near impossible for them to fire Weis. I think any improvement over last year's three wins will allow them to spin it that Weis has the team going in the right direction.

Just a little food for thought. How many times did you see BB coaching up the defense on the sideline when RAC was here? The past two seasons BB has been spending alot of time talking to the D on the bench.

I don't know for sure what that means about Pees, but I would happily take back RAC. I like Charlie too, but I think Josh has done a fine job.

Have seats in front row behind the bench. BB has ALWAYS spent lots of time with the D doing detailed coaching. I remember him chewing Romeo's ***** something fierce one game. That said, I've never timed it and he well could be spending more minutes this season.

Couple games ago in a rare moment of quiet and perfect wind conditions my seatmate heard BB say "Do that and we WIN the game". Against the Bills Sunday I lip read him saying "weak side pressure" to Seymour. FYI He most often speaks directly to Sey or Vrabes with others listening in. Fascinating to watch.

my point is we arent replacing ourcurrent coordinators with them brady made wiess

The whole post is premised on McDaniels leaving.

That's what I was responding to.

As for Pees, never been a fan. I've seen him coach at the college level as well.

Consider this scenario: McDaniels leaves and takes Cassel with him as part of a package deal. I doubt RAC would come back and supplant Peas. And I doubt Charlie would want to work again as an assistant.

I heard this scenario the other day on the NFL network (I think) and it actually makes sense. That a team will first sign McDaniels to the the HC, and then he would turn around and sign Cassel (who it looks more and more will at least (if they do not franchise him) will land the Pats a 3rd round comp pick in the 2010 draft) to run the offense. It actually is a pretty good idea, you fix your two biggest rouble spots at once HC and QB.

San Fran would appear to be perfect fix for this scenario.

I would love to see Romeo back next year, Wies would be good, if only to hear the screams in the wilderness of a certain senile old man in AZ.

Last edited:
Obviously they go to the Jets! Fredo will make both of them offers they couldn't refuse moneywise. That's definitely that fat Rat's style and ANYBODY can be bought for the right price!?!? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft