PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Pregame Thread Week 5 pregame discussion: Saints @ Pats

Pregame Discussion ahead of the LIVE game day discussion thread. The actual Game Thread will Open an hour ahead of kickoff.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Jack Jones and Jonathan Jones are back and healthy, the defense could still be okay, especially if White steps up and if Flowers can make it to the lineup. Not kidding myself...losing Judon and Gonzalez is big, but those guys I just mentioned have the potential to be good too.

Offensively....holy smokes this team is in a world of hurt. OL stinks. Running backs can't really create on their own. And Mac has hit an enormous speed bump. No idea how he rights the ship. If the Pats are going to win next week, it probably will be something like 17-13.

saints have kamara back...their d-line is a bad matchup for our o-line... it will be a close game imo...

I feel ike we're either going to win a close one or get blown out. This time by the Saints offensive playmakers. I love our defense but I don't know how you overcome being without your top 4 corners in the modern NFL. Maybe Jalen Mills slides back to corner for now?

I feel ike we're either going to win a close one or get blown out. This time by the Saints offensive playmakers. I love our defense but I don't know how you overcome being without your top 4 corners in the modern NFL. Maybe Jalen Mills slides back to corner for now?
Saints offense is slightly better than the 32nd ranked offense - Corky and the Pat's.

The Saints ain't going to the playoffs either therefore the pig is ripe for slaughter.

I'll root for team each and every game because that is what I do, what I have been doing for 60 years, but I don't really care that much about the record at this point, so it's hard to get worked up over predicting outcomes. I'll just try to learn in each week's game what there is to be learned about the team that week. They are not going to be good enough to get into the preseason, and they are not going to be bad enough to ensure that they can draft a can't-miss solution for ANY of their problems.

The action from this point forward is in discussions as to what fundamental changes must be made in the team going forward. The second most important set of questions bears upon Mac. The most important questions bear upon Bill's continuing role with the team. My take is simple. Bill the GM must be fired - obviously. The teams he has put together over the past few years have been in the end uncompetitive. This year, the team really blows, and it seems to be gettinng worse each week. Bill the Coach may stay if he wishes. If Bill insists he will only stay if he fills both the HC and the GM roles, fire him.

Enough already. Let's stop ****yfooting around.

My prediction: I think the Pats might win. The meaning of such a win is negligible, however. We have other, far more important matters to attend to.

So much to suggest that we don't have what it takes to improve this year, that this one won't turn around...
#1 - Rham has become Old Stephen Jackson overnite, don't know why, and it's not just the OL.
And for whatever reason, they don't want to play Zeke even though he looks much better than Rham
#2 - We don't have WR's that can get open quick, or have explosiveness - at least we don't play the ones that do.
#3 - Mac is falling into his weaknesses of forcing, and trying to much - although I can't blame him too much, because no one else is doing enough on offense.
#4 - Defense has potential, but injuries have piled up to a point of hindrance
#5 - (really #1 - BB has lost the ability to overcome talent deficiency. And maybe he's lost more? When a team becomes irrelevant after 1 month of the season in 3 of 4 years, you have to point to the HC. Any other team would have moved on by now. He's not above diminishing returns.)
This could really spiral. Not to over react, but it just doesn't feel like this franchise can continue in the same old way anymore.

A thought occurred to me today. It might just be me coping hard, but figured I’d share. Obviously the team had a very strong defense, and you could kind of see them leaning on the defense and trying to just play “safe” on offense hoping to secure close wins.

Well, that defense is severely hampered now, so if they want to win they have no choice but to put up points. I just wonder if these defensive injuries, and the poor record, will spur changes in their philosophy and approach to games. Instead of “playing it safe and lean on the defense”, they can actually “play to score/win”. Maybe that’s asking a lot, but it makes sense in my head.

A thought occurred to me today. It might just be me coping hard, but figured I’d share. Obviously the team had a very strong defense, and you could kind of see them leaning on the defense and trying to just play “safe” on offense hoping to secure close wins.

Well, that defense is severely hampered now, so if they want to win they have no choice but to put up points. I just wonder if these defensive injuries, and the poor record, will spur changes in their philosophy and approach to games. Instead of “playing it safe and lean on the defense”, they can actually “play to score/win”. Maybe that’s asking a lot, but it makes sense in my head.
Guess we’ll find out….

I think we saw what it looks like when Mac plays to score/win rather than play safe according to the plan and it wasn’t pretty.

Saints offense is slightly better than the 32nd ranked offense - Corky and the Pat's.

The Saints ain't going to the playoffs either therefore the pig is ripe for slaughter.

Winning this type of game is why the Patriots have escaped criticism for 3+ years. They rarely lose against **** teams, so when their record is 8-8, it seems like they have a fighter’s chance against real competition, when in actuality they don’t. They’ll probably beat a garbage Saints team at home and Team Bill will tell us how no other coach could have overcome that adversity, with all these injuries, and with any other coach the Patriots would be 0-5.

But...but we don't have a QB that can throw outside the numbers and DC's know that.

Carr is hurt, he can barely throw and I doubt he'll be all healed up with his shoulder this week. Kamara caught 13 passes for 33 yards last week, which is an NFL record low in yards for that many catches... by around 40 yards. This could be a very ugly game, which at this point I will gladly take if it comes with a W.

Winning this type of game is why the Patriots have escaped criticism for 3+ years. They rarely lose against **** teams, so when their record is 8-8, it seems like they have a fighter’s chance against real competition, when in actuality they don’t. They’ll probably beat a garbage Saints team at home and Team Bill will tell us how no other coach could have overcome that adversity, with all these injuries, and with any other coach the Patriots would be 0-5.

Even in 2019 when our defense called themselves the "boogymen" we beat a bunch of mediocre teams then flailed down the stretch when we faced actual NFL teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back