PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Pregame Thread Week 5 pregame discussion: Saints @ Pats

Pregame Discussion ahead of the LIVE game day discussion thread. The actual Game Thread will Open an hour ahead of kickoff.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even in 2019 when our defense called themselves the "boogymen" we beat a bunch of mediocre teams then flailed down the stretch when we faced actual NFL teams
Baltimore and Houston were the only good teams that carved them up. Pats matched up well with KC and gave them a rough time, but they couldn’t score. Losing week 17 against Miami was a terrible loss. If they had an offense, they would’ve had the #2 seed.

But I agree the “Boogymen” name was dumb it was clear as day they were schemed up rather than pure talent.

Last edited:
i this team misses a mcginest/rodney/edelman type leadership.

Even the Giants are statiscally better than us go figure.:rolleyes:

I was going to take the Pats for my "Suicide Pick'em Contest", but after watching them against Dallas, and with the injuries, I decided to pick another team (Lions) to win.

I think the Patriots are going to win but not real confident about it.

I think Mac and the team respond this week. It ain’t gonna be pretty but we are winning this one.

20 - 13 Pats
Read something that said Mac is betting on himself. You go boy keep padding that pool. I'm going hold on to my money until further notice.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

I was going to take the Pats for my "Suicide Pick'em Contest", but after watching them against Dallas, and with the injuries, I decided to pick another team (Lions) to win.

I think the Patriots are going to win but not real confident about it.
The problem with the Patriots Offense is the adventure on 3rd and Five or less the Stars have to be aligned. We really thought OCBOB was going to fix that but that's our biggest problem right now. We don't play Zack Wilson every week. The key is getting a one score lead on the Pats and it's basically over. This Team have no fight Offensively.

I think Mac and the team respond this week. It ain’t gonna be pretty but we are winning this one.

20 - 13 Pats
Ok the Defense still needs to score 10...Tell me how can they do that without Judon and Gonzo??

Sunday: Lost to Tampa Bay Buccaneers 26-9

The Saints guaranteed Derek Carr $100 million in the offseason. They are tied for 25th in scoring (15.5 points per game) four games into the season. Coach Dennis Allen is now 17-40 all-time. New Orleans has the fourth-oldest roster in the NFL (per PFF) and is projected to be an NFL-worst $89 million over the salary cap next season. Other than that, everything is fine.

Sunday: Lost to Tampa Bay Buccaneers 26-9

The Saints guaranteed Derek Carr $100 million in the offseason. They are tied for 25th in scoring (15.5 points per game) four games into the season. Coach Dennis Allen is now 17-40 all-time. New Orleans has the fourth-oldest roster in the NFL (per PFF) and is projected to be an NFL-worst $89 million over the salary cap next season. Other than that, everything is fine.
They still have a great defense with a good pass rush. Receipe for disaster for us.

The Bucs D has better personnel right now with all our injuries. Not sure we will be able to keep the Saints to 9 points and that’s without counting the probable 14 points give up by the offense

Even last year i would be confident they'd squeeze out a win in a game like this, this game comes down to which quarterback is more likely to make the back breaking mistake that swings the tight low scoring game one way and unfortunately right now as bad and as injured as Carr is that quarterback most likely to do that in this game is Mac Jones.

Take the over on Kamara receptions, Carr is just gonna dump it off all game and wait for the Patriots to give them the game.

Currently
Pats -1.5
O/U 39.5

so if they want to win they have no choice but to put up points. I just wonder if these defensive injuries, and the poor record, will spur changes in their philosophy and approach to games. Instead of “playing it safe and lean on the defense”, they can actually “play to score/win”. Maybe that’s asking a lot, but it makes sense in my head.
Early last season, Mac & Co attempted more of an 'attack' approach and Mac became a turnover machine much like Sunday.
Bill subsequently dialed it back.
And in yesterday's presser, Bill succinctly stated "We know what the formula is......win the turnover battle".
So......get ready for a no risk /field position / puntathon....and pray Winston Mac's all over himself

No wonder Bill lusted for a punter earlier in the draft than most teams ever would.

Subconsciously Bill knew: "Because I'm not going to fortify the O line this offseason or sign any WRs that create separation, better get a punter with a rubber leg. And....note to myself: Let's ignore obtaining a 3rd down back as well"

i this team misses a mcginest/rodney/edelman type leadership.
Going to have to be on guys like Wise, peppers, uche, Dugger, Jon Jones, Bentley.. on defense..

OT:
I wonder why Bill and his draft guru/yes men didn't appreciate the talents of rookie WR Pacu Nacua who was drafted at #177 (5th rd)?
Groh is supposed to be the voice of reason with drafting players.. the issue is he is part of the BB circle of friends and family... we NEED someone with no ties to BB to be able to pick, sign players. BB as we all know with his power is going to target players he feels can fit in his system. We have a early 2000s NFL roster not a 2023 roster. I absolutely respect BB the HC but I've soured on the GM .

They still have a great defense with a good pass rush. Receipe for disaster for us.

The Bucs D has better personnel right now with all our injuries. Not sure we will be able to keep the Saints to 9 points and that’s without counting the probable 14 points give up by the offense
I'll be honest the O line has been disastrous this season. I can't remember a time where the O line has been worse.

We have no running game due to this and the backs just don't have any lanes to run. Ty Montgomery is on this team and needs to be part of the game plan on 3rd down to give at least something to add a wrinkle. Without a running game and a bad O line this is what the offense looks like. On defense Jon Jones MUST play Bryant and Wade are not outside CBs. The team needs to show something to lure the fan base back in IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Back