PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We will have a "complete team" before the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsSteve1 said:
* Those resignings didn't make the team better. They made were the same guys and none replace the effectiveness and production of Givens and Willie. I'm niether pessimistic or overly optimistic. I only deal with today and today the team isn't as good asw last year's. Yet.

PatsSteve - From where I am sitting its ignorance.

Do you stop and think about what you post? When you say that the re-signings didn't make the team better, you are saying that those player mean nothing. A guy like Neal, who is a starter, means nothing?

You sit there and chastise people saying that they are talking out of another oriface other than their mouth when they make a prediction about what this team will be like, then you go right ahead and do the exact same thing yourself, attempting to cover yourself by saying you are dealing with the here and now.

I can't predict if this team is better now than it was last year. Why? Because they aren't playing right now. Also, Guys like Gay and C. Scott are healthy. Matt Light is supposedly getting healthy. That would put him and Kaczur on the line at the Tackle position. Which is great because Gorin stinks. That, to me, looks like a potential betterment of the team.

We don't know if Reche' Caldwell will be better than Givens. He doesn't have to be, in all honesty. He just has to catch the ball at the 65% rate he caught it last year and I will be happy.

We don't know if this team is better or worse with the loss of Willie. Losing his leadership in the locker-room hurts, but, who knows, TBC or Claridge might step up and make the LB corps better.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Beisel will be fine in the role he played in the Jaguar game. Hawkins is a starter, and Chad Scott will see a lot of time in the nickel role. Neal is a starting RG. Troy Brown into the season will get some crucial 3rd down catches. Caldwell is young, 2 years removed from his ACL injury, and has got the jump on the rookies so far. I see him as solid contributor.

The year he blossomed, he only played 6 games before getting having an unfortunate the ACL. He had 18 catches, 3 TD and a whopping 17.2 average a catch.

Right on.

Reputation points for you! :cool:

I don't know if we pick up Moulds or not, but I see A LOT more 2 TE offense. Right now I see Branch, Watson, Graham, and Caldwell as the main targets, with maybe 2 rookies and Troy Brown and Bam Childress in reserve. Thoughts?

Wow, so you mean to tell me our team isn't complete trash? This is news to me!! (sarcasm)

Seriously though, we're returning ALL of our OL, with our LT back. Harrison SHOULD be back, if not Hawkins filled in quite nicely although we'll need to find a replacement. The CB position is OK, but we do need some depth behind it. Even at LB I'm not that worried. I think with how he came on last year, Beisel will play inside with Bruschi and Vrabel will move outside.

The only glaring needs as of now is WR and kicker. We'll be fine, we'll find ours.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
I don't know if we pick up Moulds or not, but I see A LOT more 2 TE offense. Right now I see Branch, Watson, Graham, and Caldwell as the main targets, with maybe 2 rookies and Troy Brown and Bam Childress in reserve. Thoughts?

That's another thing people forget about. I mean, you don't need alot of WRs to have a good passing attack. They have Gates and LT as their ebst receivers. Mcardell is nothing but average and then what? We have a poor WR core, I admit that. But we also have one mean TE set.

mgteich said:
I believe that we will have complete unit before the draft. And I'm not concerned with 3rd round TE's or QB's. Comparisons are to the 2005 playoff team/

QB all set
OL a solid game day seven
TE starters set
RB they are a healthy group (a big plus)
WR WE NEED AT LEAST ONE BEFORE THE DRAFT

DL all set except for end of bench (with Wright as NT backup)
LB WE NEED AT LEAST ONE BEFORE CAMP
CB a complete solid improved unit
S an improved unit

ST WE NEED A PLACE KICKER BEFORE THE DRAFT
I agree with kicker..(obviously) and LB (only 9 now..not enough) but think
WR may be OK at present BEFORE the draft..9..I would feel better if they had one more..but I don't think it's essential. But great point about having a complete team..BEFORE the draft!! VERY true!!

Hmm..anyone else pretty excited about seeing Bam Childress play a little more? He resigned earlier before FA and hes sort of like a Branch, good hands, small and quick and can make plays. Id like to see us use him on screens a little..possibly KR next to Bethel if he stays and just get him more involved. We even used him at corner a little.

re

If the Pats draft LB Greenway, WR Stovall, and that kicker with the long last name (Gostowski?), I will feel very confident about the team for next year.

Last edited:
maverick4 said:
If the Pats draft LB Greenway, WR Stovall, and that kicker with the long last name (Gostowski?), I will feel very confident about the team for next year.

I second that. But what are the odds that greenway is going to drop down to us? I cant wait for the draft though, cuz I know BB is going to draft some guy (maybe tade up or down for) that none of us have ever really talked about. Then he'll be transformed into a stud, and we'll all love 'em. I doubt BB is even going to draft any of the guys we have talked about. Richard Marshall probably being the closest to be picked up by us. I like marshall. He's athletic and a fierce ballhawk. I think with him and Asante our CB situation would be that much better. I wouldn't mind that pick at all. But, do we trade down for him or stick at 21 and reach for him there?

Last edited:
holyredeemer said:
I second that. But what are the odds that greenway is going to drop down to us? I cant wait for the draft though, cuz I know BB is going to draft some guy (maybe tade up or down for) that none of us have ever really talked about. Then he'll be transformed into a stud, and we'll all love 'em. I doubt BB is even going to draft any of the guys we have talked about. Richard Marshall probably being the closest to be picked up by us. I like marshall. He's athletic and a fierce ballhawk. I think with him and Asante our CB situation would be that much better. I wouldn't mind that pick at all. But, do we trade down for him or stick at 21 and reach for him there?

I've seen video of Marshall. He's okay, but I think he will fall down to around the 3rd round. No need to move up to get him.

Well an LB we can get likely at 21 is either Carpeneter, Ryan, D'Qwell Jackson, Abdul Hodge or Thomas Howard.

i love Jackson, he said he will move to OLB if needed because hes on the shorter side at 6"0 - 6"1.

Ryan is too slow i think because we run a 3-4 and 3-4 relies on LB blitzes more so than the ends getting there a lot. Ryan is also on short side but hes got great academics..very intelligent player from Alabama..could look at him. Howard is the fastest of them all..6"3 230s and ran well.

Carpenter can fall to us aswell..not much to say about him

PatsSteve1 said:
Anyone pretending to know how good, or bad, the 2006 New England Patriots are going to be on March 25th is talking out of an orifice other than thier mouths. IMO, the facts are that the signed players on the team TODAY, do not make up a team even as good as the team that lost to Denver in the playoffs last year. And certainly not as good as the 2003 or 2004 version. Will they get better or not is just guesswork. BB/Pioli have made great FA/DP pickups and made some bad ones. Mike Vrabel and Rodney Harrison versus Duane Starks and Donald Hayes.
Just to be as good as the team that lost to Denver last year they have to at least replace the production and effectiveness of Willie M and D Givens. To date they haven't. But, just being as good as that team isn't going to be good enough to win the SB, IMO. I try to deal with reality and not just wishful thinking and hope it'll be OK or that on 3/26 the end is at hand more than 5 months before the season starts. There's no way BB knows what kind of team he'll have in 2006 anymore than anyone else does. He's often said it takes about 5 or 6 games for him to know. So, why would anyone believe anyone else does?

No ! This starting team is much much stronger than the Team fielded in Denver. The OLine is healthy and features No rookies, and three more established starters beside the Sophs.(Light koppen and Ashworth) They have a healthy RB and maybe as many as four, last year they had exactly none. They can actually run the ball . What a novelty! Their defensive backfied has more than two CBs, and they can actually face a 3 WR set. Quell Domage!!

I agree they are starting a weaker #2 WR, but a past prime probowler will have to do in a pinch, they have Miller to kick FGs, and Willie is not there but Green is a pass rusher of note, and would be adequate ... All in all much stronger.

AzPatsFan said:
(Light koppen and Ashworth)

Ashworth...the Seahawk? You mean Neal, right? :D

pats1 said:
Ashworth...the Seahawk? You mean Neal, right? :D

No, Light and Koppen didn't get on the Field at all, and Ashworth was as sick as a dog and played like it. He might as well have not been there. The endzone INT happened after he wiffed on a blitz pickup. Kayczur didn't play much as well, with his banged up shoulder. No RBs, and No OL, so they couldn't run and couldn't pass protect much either. Note that most of the F. Ups happened on trhe beatup O, not on the understaffed and overworked D.

I thought there were some Oline snaps taken by P squadders Yates or Mrucz No?

Steve, I called you on this before in another thread. You, and many others, take a severely myopic view of the start of last season. You sit there and say that the team was "healthy" when that really wasn't the case. And the team had other issues as well.[/QUOTE]

* Anyone who claims they know how good or bad the 2006 Patriots are going to be now, on March 26th, is talking out of an orifice other than thier mouths. You have no idea anymore than BB knows how his team will perform this year. If you could read, you'd know that was what I originally posted. Saying last year was all due to injuries, a part of football, is excuse making. In 2004 the Patriots almost had as many injuries as last year. The difference was a better total roster. This year they don't have as good a total roster as last year. Yet. What may or may not happen with the roster
before the year starts doesn't change the reality of todays situation. Until something happens, it hasn't happened. I'm sure all the playoff teams from last year have nice excuses why they didn't win the SB.

PatsSteve1 said:
* Anyone who claims they know how good or bad the 2006 Patriots are going to be now, on March 26th, is talking out of an orifice other than thier mouths. You have no idea anymore than BB knows how his team will perform this year. If you could read, you'd know that was what I originally posted. Saying last year was all due to injuries, a part of football, is excuse making. In 2004 the Patriots almost had as many injuries as last year. The difference was a better total roster. This year they don't have as good a total roster as last year. Yet. What may or may not happen with the roster
before the year starts doesn't change the reality of todays situation. Until something happens, it hasn't happened. I'm sure all the playoff teams from last year have nice excuses why they didn't win the SB.

*ROFLMAO*
I know what you wrote. I quoted it. And then you went right on contradicting yourself and making yourself look like an arse. See, unlike you, I can read. You obviously are too ignorant to understand what you posted previously. When you say "This team isn't as good right now, as it was in 2005" YOU ARE MAKING A STATEMENT ABOUT THIS TEAM. And you don't know any more than BB does if this team is as good as the 2005. So, yes, ignorant fool, you are the one being hypocritical and talking out your arse.

BTW, in 2004, the Pats didn't nearly have the injuries they did last year. They weren't missing 2 starters on the O-line and 6 DBs. Nor were they missing their 2 starting ILBs. But, I wouldn't expect you to deal with facts. At no point in 2004 were the Pats without 4 defensive starters like they were in 2005. And that doesn't include Ted Johnson not being there.

Yes, injuries are a part of the game, moron. I know that as well as anyone. And I fully understand that it was the Patriots depth of talent that allowed them to perform as well as they could. Unlike you, I am not myopic in my view of this team and I understand, FULLY, how the Parts intergrate and how one section affects another. Like, for instance, poor play by the front 7 in not getting pressure on the QB can make a secondary look mediocre.

BTW, its also ignorant of you to say that the roster isn't better when players like Kaczur, Mankins, Hobbs, and Sanders have all gotten great experience and should continue to get better. That, alone, will help this roster to be better than last years.

Last edited:
All I know is I hate starting a season with an "incomplete" team so BB/SP had better get crackin"!!! :bricks:

Feep_FLA said:
All I know is I hate starting a season with an "incomplete" team so BB/SP had better get crackin"!!! :bricks:

Who sez they ain't?

"We got it handed to us in denver, remember?"

Yes, I clearly remember the refs handing us this loss.

Brady didn't help out things either with 4,000 interceptions.

As well as:

Kevin Faulk...

Troy Brown...

Ellis Hobbs...

Yes. I remember the p!ss-poor ref job also.

Possibly the worst ref called game that I've ever seen.

Jeff Triplette is a P.O.S. part time ref. Just ask Gay Ray where he lives (he knows).

I guess we can't get every call our way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News