PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We will have a "complete team" before the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that we will have complete unit before the draft. And I'm not concerned with 3rd round TE's or QB's. Comparisons are to the 2005 playoff team/

QB all set
OL a solid game day seven
TE starters set
RB they are a healthy group (a big plus)
WR WE NEED AT LEAST ONE BEFORE THE DRAFT

DL all set except for end of bench (with Wright as NT backup)
LB WE NEED AT LEAST ONE BEFORE CAMP
CB a complete solid improved unit
S an improved unit

ST WE NEED A PLACE KICKER BEFORE THE DRAFT

Please, you're only supposted to post strident, panicy "We're Doomed!!!" topics at this time of year. I know you addressed starters, but we also need solid backups at QB (least important cause if Brady goes, so goes the season), TE, LB (2) and a developmental RB if available day 2.

QB- Brady, Cassel, need 1. Flutie= UFA
OL- need depth
TE- need a 3rd
RB- Set, might need 1 for future
WR- Branch,?,Caldwell,Brown,Childress and Johnson. Need a reliable #2 or 3

DT- could use better depth
DE- Set
ILB-Bruschi,Vrabel,Beisel, set. could look for future
OLB- Need 1 to replace big #55. Need another backup
CB-Set,could bring competition
S-Pending Harrison situation
K-need
P-Set

Anyone pretending to know how good, or bad, the 2006 New England Patriots are going to be on March 25th is talking out of an orifice other than thier mouths. IMO, the facts are that the signed players on the team TODAY, do not make up a team even as good as the team that lost to Denver in the playoffs last year. And certainly not as good as the 2003 or 2004 version. Will they get better or not is just guesswork. BB/Pioli have made great FA/DP pickups and made some bad ones. Mike Vrabel and Rodney Harrison versus Duane Starks and Donald Hayes.
Just to be as good as the team that lost to Denver last year they have to at least replace the production and effectiveness of Willie M and D Givens. To date they haven't. But, just being as good as that team isn't going to be good enough to win the SB, IMO. I try to deal with reality and not just wishful thinking and hope it'll be OK or that on 3/26 the end is at hand more than 5 months before the season starts. There's no way BB knows what kind of team he'll have in 2006 anymore than anyone else does. He's often said it takes about 5 or 6 games for him to know. So, why would anyone believe anyone else does?

PatsSteve1 said:
Anyone pretending to know how good, or bad, the 2006 New England Patriots are going to be on March 25th is talking out of an orifice other than thier mouths. IMO, the facts are that the signed players on the team TODAY, do not make up a team even as good as the team that lost to Denver in the playoffs last year. And certainly not as good as the 2003 or 2004 version. Will they get better or not is just guesswork. BB/Pioli have made great FA/DP pickups and made some bad ones. Mike Vrabel and Rodney Harrison versus Duane Starks and Donald Hayes.
Just to be as good as the team that lost to Denver last year they have to at least replace the production and effectiveness of Willie M and D Givens. To date they haven't. But, just being as good as that team isn't going to be good enough to win the SB, IMO. I try to deal with reality and not just wishful thinking and hope it'll be OK or that on 3/26 the end is at hand more than 5 months before the season starts. There's no way BB knows what kind of team he'll have in 2006 anymore than anyone else does. He's often said it takes about 5 or 6 games for him to know. So, why would anyone believe anyone else does?

Matt Light? Dan Koppen? Rodney Harrison? Randall Gay? A healthy Brady? A healthy Dillon, Faulk, Pass, and Evans?

Last edited:
I also don't understand how anyone can compare the team we have now to the team that lost to denver. They havent even played one game yet. The roster has yet to be filled. I disagree with the notion that we are set. We got it handed to us in denver, remember? And dont blame it on the d-backs. Brady,Brown,Faulk, and Hobbs were key contributors to us losing that game. Hello, they r all still here. The only thing we have done is lose great depth and some starters. So, what makes anyone think we are set? IMO this team is going to have to be far superior then the one that took the field last yr. for us to make a run at the superbowl. Thank God for BB cuz atleast we know he is going to do all he can to get us there.

pats1 said:
Matt Light? Dan Koppen? Rodney Harrison? Randall Gay? A healthy Brady? A healthy Dillon, Faulk, Pass, and Evans?

* When those guys were healthy at the start of the year, the team wasn't that good. 2-2 after 4 games and 3-3 after 6 games. The team was playing it's best without some of those guys.

pats1 said:

First of all, Rodney isnt going to win the superbowl for us, he cant do it himself. Also, ur assuming that none of those guys are going to get injured again. No one knows if Dillon can tote it like he once did. Last yr. he did nothing to show that he could, i know,i know, injuries. He hardly ever flashed the brilliance of himself last yr, and no one knows if this yr. will be any different. To say that this team is set or improved when we have lost depth and starters while adding practicallly nobody else makes no sense to me at all.

I hate to break it to you, but according to my count, the Pats have re-signed the most players in the league this offseason. They'd re-signed 8 so far, the Bucs have also, and teams like the Steelers, Seahawks, Lions, Packers, and Raiders have re-signed 7.

For the Pats, these signings have come at excellent prices, avoiding the big money and thus big name losses the media has shoved down our throats.

Last edited:
LB play is what makes the 3-4 defense work. Bruschi returning from his stroke and thereby relegating Beisel back to his rightful back-up role really helped the team, as well as replacing Chad Brown with Vrabel.

As far as the secondary, forget the CB, the key is safety play. We saw that in our Super Bowls when our safeties went down. BB gets "cheap" at CB. Guys like Samuel, Hobbs and Gay are 3rd/4th/UDFA and are small, undersized but good at playing their zone. It is the play of the safety that makes BB pass-defense thrive. And that is why Hawkins really helped because he has CB speed at the safety position. So does E. Wilson.

BB needs an impact LB to complete the 3-4. Someone who weighs at least 250 lbs, can seal off the edge and be excellent in pass-coverage.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/bobbycarpenter.html

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/mannylawson.html

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/chadgreenway.html

The defense really suffered without Seymour anchoring the line, because when the DL doesn't do their job, its impossible for the LB to do theirs. That is why the defense stunk it up last year, and why it will be different this year (Sey & Bruschi)

PatsSteve1 said:
* When those guys were healthy at the start of the year, the team wasn't that good. 2-2 after 4 games and 3-3 after 6 games. The team was playing it's best without some of those guys.

You seem to be one of the people talking out an oriface OTHER than your mouth.

Yes, those guys were healthy. HOWEVER, at the beginning of last year, Vrabel wasn't healthy. Neither was Randall Gay. Nor Chad Scott. Nor James Sanders, etc etc. Wilfork wasn't playing well. Beisel and Brown didn't know the system. Dillon wasn't healthy coming out of TC.

Steve, I called you on this before in another thread. You, and many others, take a severely myopic view of the start of last season. You sit there and say that the team was "healthy" when that really wasn't the case. And the team had other issues as well.

Yeah, DaBruinz, big difference between Bruschi and Vrabel, and Chad Brown and backup Monty Beisel.

DL play wasn't that good, especially Wilfork. Getting rid of Starks is addition by subtraction.

PatsSteve1 said:

It was also playing with Beisel and Brown starting inside, a revolving door at SS after Rodney went down 2 games into the season, a thin OT position with Gorin down and Light gone after 2 games, without Seymour for a 4-game stretch early, without Faulk for weeks 4-12 or so, and then the dropping of Poole, Gay, C. Scott, G. Scott, Sanders, and Starks to injury. Antonio Freeman anyone? That left rookies like Mankins, Kaczur, and Hobbs starting, who all got better with more experience during the season. Don't forget Dillon having the injuries early, leaving Amos Zereoue, Patrick Pass, and Heath Evans to man the RB position, with Zereoue getting cut and Pass and Evans going down with injuries later.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
I hate to break it to you, but according to my count, the Pats have re-signed the most players in the league this offseason. They'd re-signed 8 so far, the Bucs have also, and teams like the Steelers, Seahawks, Lions, Packers, and Raiders have re-signed 7.

* Those resignings didn't make the team better. They made were the same guys and none replace the effectiveness and production of Givens and Willie. I'm niether pessimistic or overly optimistic. I only deal with today and today the team isn't as good asw last year's. Yet.

PatsSteve1 said:
pats1 said:

* Those resignings didn't make the team better. They made were the same guys and none replace the effectiveness and production of Givens and Willie. I'm niether pessimistic or overly optimistic. I only deal with today and today the team isn't as good asw last year's. Yet.

Oh, just because they don't command $20 million contracts means they don't make the team better?

There's absolutely no way keeping Troy Brown makes this team better. Stephen Neal is just a scrub! Artrell Hawkins, man, what a joke! Don Davis, Heath Evans, Hank Poteat? Nah, special teams don't matter! It's not the Patriots' fault teams ran wild on returns and the offense was left with 80 yards to go on most drives!

pats1 said:
It was also playing with Beisel and Brown starting inside, a revolving door at SS after Rodney went down 2 games into the season, a thin OT position with Gorin down and Light gone after 2 games, without Seymour for a 4-game stretch early, without Faulk for weeks 4-12 or so, and then the dropping of Poole, Gay, C. Scott, G. Scott, Sanders, and Starks to injury. That left rookies like Mankins, Kaczur, and Hobbs starting, who all got better with more experience during the season.

* Right now Beisel is the 4th LB, no one has a clue how Rodney will play. How many players have played as good as before they got the same injury that he did, the 1st year they came back? Beisel never showqed he could be a starting LB last year. And how did we miss Starks or Poole?

Givens in the last three years had 34 catches, 56 and 59.

Its quite obvious that BB needs to draft 2 WR and an almost-startable LB.

PatsSteve1 said:
Try getting out of the bed from the other side tomorrow. Sheesh. The subject of the thread before you hijacked it was not whether or not the team would be good enough to get to the Super Bowl, but rather Miguel's contention that BB always assembles a full roster BEFORE the draft so that going into the draft we have no NEED picks to fill obvious holes. BB doesn't like to rely on rookies, so he tends to avoid drafting to fill holes.

That said, I think he may actually go into the draft this year with a hole at WR. Of course what WE think is a hole and what HE thinks is a hole may be two very different things. But other than that, I agree with the original post, with the possibility of WR, we go into the draft with a full team ready to go.

Last edited:
PatsSteve1 said:
* Right now Beisel is the 4th LB, no one has a clue how Rodney will play. How many players have played as good as before they got the same injury that he did, the 1st year they came back? Beisel never showqed he could be a starting LB last year. And how did we miss Starks or Poole?

Beisel will be fine in the role he played in the Jaguar game. Hawkins is a starter, and Chad Scott will see a lot of time in the nickel role. Neal is a starting RG. Troy Brown into the season will get some crucial 3rd down catches. Caldwell is young, 2 years removed from his ACL injury, and has got the jump on the rookies so far. I see him as solid contributor.

The year he blossomed, he only played 6 games before getting having an unfortunate the ACL. He had 18 catches, 3 TD and a whopping 17.2 average a catch.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Try getting out of the bed from the other side tomorrow. Sheesh. The subject of the thread before you hijacked it was not whether or not the team would be good enough to get to the Super Bowl, but rather Miguel's contention that BB always assembles a full roster BEFORE the draft so that going into the draft we have no NEED picks to fill obvious holes. BB doesn't like to rely on rookies, so he tends to avoid drafting to fill holes.

That said, I think he may actually go into the draft this year with a hole at WR. Of course what WE think is a hole and what HE thinks is a hole may be two very different things. But other than that, I agree with the original post, with the possibility of WR, we go into the draft with a full team ready to go.

I actually think that FA is so over-priced that BB goes into the draft with holes at LB and WR and K. Perhaps with June 1st cuts, we sign some vets to spell the rookies? Like maybe Moulds at WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back