PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We will have a "complete team" before the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
ayjackson said:
well, he'll be replacing willie....that tells me it's lawson or wimbley!

yeah, except we already have Rosey...and TBC in the wings.

Next...

Remix 6 said:
Round 1 -- 21st, assigned selection
Round 2 -- 20th, assigned selection
Round 3 -- 11th, from Baltimore*
Round 3 -- 22nd, assigned selection
Round 4 -- 9th, from Detroit**
Round 4 -- 21st, assigned selection
Round 5 -- 3rd, from Oakland***
Round 5 -- 20th, traded to Browns for WR Andre' Davis
Round 6 -- 22nd, assigned selection
Round 7 -- 21st, assigned selection

Boston.com Reiss.

thank you....don't have to wait long for knowledge 'round here

PatsSteve1 said:
* There is no one on the roster right now who reaplaces Willie M's production at LB or D Givens production at WR. Not even close. That makes us less of a team than last year. You can post your little "ROFLMAO" but I don't think you really laughed at all. Just internet board BS. The total current roster is not as good as last years. It will get better, but how much better no one, least of all you, knows how much. it must make you a real tough guy to post stuff on a message board. Another internet bad boy -:)

The least you could do is learn how to quote properly. No, I am not an internet bad boy or tough guy. And yes, I did laugh at your dumb post. Its amazing the ignorance and arrogance you show.

How do you know that Troy Brown, who had 39 receptions last year as the #4 receiver couldn't put up the same production if he was in the #2 slot? How do you know that Reche Caldwell couldn't put up the same production that Givens put up?

As for Willie's production, how do you know there isn't someone on the roster who can give the Pats the same production. My guess is that Colvin can. And then all you need to do is replace Colvin's production from last year.

And, I'm sorry, but you can't sit there and chastise people for saying that the this year's team will be better than last years, then you, yourself say that the team is worse. Its BS hypocracy on your part. And I am totally amazed that you can't see it.

maverick4 said:
I don't like the 'draft OLB' strategy. The Pats moved Vrabel inside last year only because Beisel sucks, and because we had Willie and Colvin who could play outside.

For the sake of Vrabel's durability (as well as utilizing him at his best position), as well as due to the loss of Willie, the Pats should slide Vrabel back outside and find a young ILB.

I have been watching film on all the big-name OLB's and ILB's in the draft, and I like those two Iowa linebackers the best. Greenway and Hodge can both play ILB in the Pats' 3-4, in my opinion. I think Greenway is better than Hawk, for the best LB in the country. That guy is a ferocious player, a natural energizer and leader.

\

Maverick -
Sorry, but you are wrong. The Patriots were moving Vrabel inside regardless of how Beisel performed. BB said so himself and lamented the fact that he couldn't move Vrabel inside earlier because Vrabel missed so much of TC.

cubedoggy said:
(PS: Yes, Rook forgot Blue)

Man... sign of impending old age. I forgot Gay. Well that only makes things brighter, right?

Remix 6 said:
Round 1 -- 21st, assigned selection
Round 2 -- 20th, assigned selection
Round 3 -- 11th, from Baltimore*
Round 3 -- 22nd, assigned selection
Round 4 -- 9th, from Detroit**
Round 4 -- 21st, assigned selection
Round 5 -- 3rd, from Oakland***
Round 5 -- 20th, traded to Browns for WR Andre' Davis
Round 6 -- 22nd, assigned selection
Round 7 -- 21st, assigned selection

Boston.com Reiss.

A particularly good year for trading with stiffs so that the picks we get are high up in their respective rounds!

And how many times has Baltimore helped us out now?!

With the number of very solid LB prospects in the draft this year, I don't see why we NEED to sign a starting OLB in FA to replace Willie. Hopefully we can get someone like Bobby Carpenter in round 1, who should be ready to step in as a starter early in the season. Then grab a guy like Ryan LaCasse (DE->OLB conversion project) later in the draft for more depth, as someone with the potential to develop into a stellary pass rusher (and Carpenter could play both ILB or OLB in the 3-4. Basically a young Vrabel).

It doesn't matter if we have a complete team before the draft - BB & SP know better than anyone there are three phases of the offseason & that no important games are played before the actual season.

1. Free Agency
2. The Draft
3. Pre-season trades

There is no logical reason to expect any team to have a complete team before all three phases are complete. It might make us feel better but its not necessary and we shouldn't change our system just becuase of public anxiety.

I break this into even more parts. WHile I agree that don't need a complete team until Game One, bb's philosophy has been to NOT to have to depend on rookies. I don't see going into the draft needing to draft a starting linebacker. bb doesn't take that kind of risk.

JoeSixPat said:
It doesn't matter if we have a complete team before the draft - BB & SP know better than anyone there are three phases of the offseason & that no important games are played before the actual season.

1. Free Agency
2. The Draft
3. Pre-season trades

There is no logical reason to expect any team to have a complete team before all three phases are complete. It might make us feel better but its not necessary and we shouldn't change our system just becuase of public anxiety.

Didn't think this merited it's own thread, but it did merit mentioning. Paul Parillo of PFW is on WEEI today and he just said that Matt Light has had two surgical procedures performed on his leg since the initial surgery due to recurring circulation problems. He said it would certainly indicate that could raise the legitimate level of concern about his return.

MoLewisrocks said:
Didn't think this merited it's own thread, but it did merit mentioning. Paul Parillo of PFW is on WEEI today and he just said that Matt Light has had two surgical procedures performed on his leg since the initial surgery due to recurring circulation problems. He said it would certainly indicate that could raise the legitimate level of concern about his return.

Mo -
This is not new information. This 3rd procedure was talked about last week and, low and behold, the very next day, there was an article on Light and the fact that he said he is doing fine now and expects to be ready for TC and the season.

DaBruinz said:
The least you could do is learn how to quote properly. No, I am not an internet bad boy or tough guy. And yes, I did laugh at your dumb post. Its amazing the ignorance and arrogance you show.

* You are what you are.

How do you know that Troy Brown, who had 39 receptions last year as the #4 receiver couldn't put up the same production if he was in the #2 slot? How do you know that Reche Caldwell couldn't put up the same production that Givens put up?

* Because Caldwell has done next to nothing in his career

As for Willie's production, how do you know there isn't someone on the roster who can give the Pats the same production. My guess is that Colvin can. And then all you need to do is replace Colvin's production from last year.

* Like who? Beisel who's shown he isn't up to the task? Banta-Cain who isn't good agains the run?

And, I'm sorry, but you can't sit there and chastise people for saying that the this year's team will be better than last years, then you, yourself say that the team is worse. Its BS hypocracy on your part. And I am totally amazed that you can't see it.

* I never said this year's team won't be better than last year's. I said it wasn't today. Last year going into the playoffs, the Patriots, in the media and here, were called the team no one wanted to face in January. No one knows how good this team will be. It's hypocritical to say, "how do I know y there's no one to replace Willie", then chastise me because I don't think, today, the team is as good as what we had at the end of the year. I'm NOT surprised you don't see that. Your a blowhard.

pats1 said:
I hate to break it to you, but according to my count, the Pats have re-signed the most players in the league this offseason. They'd re-signed 8 so far, the Bucs have also, and teams like the Steelers, Seahawks, Lions, Packers, and Raiders have re-signed 7.

Are you including players re-signed before free agency started on the 11th???

PatsSteve1 said:
* You are what you are.
Yes, I am. I am a very smart Pats fan who has a very good handle on the english language and what things mean. You, on the other hand, seem to be the blowhard who started chastising people in this thread for their personal speculations and then made the claim that he couldn't support himself.

PatsSteve1 said:
* Because Caldwell has done next to nothing in his career
And what had David Patten done in his career prior to becoming the #2 starter for the Patriots in 2001? What had David Givens done prior to becoming the starter in 2004?

BTW, in 2004, Reche Caldwell earned himself a starting position on the Chargers and it was only a catastrophic accident that took that away from him. An accident that takes 18 months for atheletes to fully recover from. Its not his fault that during the time he missed, Eric Parker, Antonio Gates and LaDanian Tomlinson came into their own as receiving threats. And its also not his fault that the Chargers went out and got McCardell.

PatsSteve1 said:
* Like who? Beisel who's shown he isn't up to the task? Banta-Cain who isn't good agains the run?

Wait a minute. Since when was Beisel used at the OLB position? He wasn't. As for TBC, how do you know he's not good against the run? Its not like he's been on the field for a ton of plays for you to get a good evaluation of that. Also, what is to say that they don't move Colvin into Willie's spot and use TBC in Colvin's spot? I also seem to remember Colvin not being great against the run when he first got here and it taking playing time for him to get better at it.

PatsSteve1 said:
* I never said this year's team won't be better than last year's. I said it wasn't today. Last year going into the playoffs, the Patriots, in the media and here, were called the team no one wanted to face in January. No one knows how good this team will be. It's hypocritical to say, "how do I know y there's no one to replace Willie", then chastise me because I don't think, today, the team is as good as what we had at the end of the year. I'm NOT surprised you don't see that. Your a blowhard.

Could you please provide me the quote where I claimed that you said that this year's team won't be better than last year's?

How can you possibly say that this team is worse now than when it ended the season when the team isn't playing games? You have absolutely NOTHING to compare it to. You only have your SPECULATION which is hardly the FACT you try and portray it to be.

Its NOT hypocritical to ask you whether or not you know if the team already has someone to replace Willie then chastise you for saying that the team isn't as good as it was at the end of last year. Why? First off, you don't know whether or not the Pats have TBC slated for a starting position.

Secondly, since we've already established that there is no possible way for you to make a comparison of this team today to the team that ended the season, you have no basis in which to chastise the people who speculate that the team will be better next year.

See, unlike you, Steve, I don't worry about whether this team is better or worse, today, because they aren't playing and games today. I worry about what the state will be come training camp and then the regular season. Its why I think talking about what the Pats record will be next year is just dumb. Because there is so much left to happen. From the rest of free agency to the draft to training camp. This team is going to morph tremendously from now until then.

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:
See, unlike you, Steve, I don't worry about whether this team is better or worse, today, because they aren't playing and games today. I worry about what the state will be come training camp and then the regular season. Its why I think talking about what the Pats record will be next year is just dumb. Because there is so much left to happen. From the rest of free agency to the draft to training camp. This team is going to morph tremendously from now until then.

I'm WAY late to this party, but have had similar conversations on another board. My post isn't directed at Steve or anyone specific, just a general observation.

I understand people questioning what the Pats have done to this point in FA. What I don't get is when people make assumptions about the next season at such an early stage.

The draft is a full month away. We have no idea how the draft is gonna fall or what impact those players could have. For every draft pick that STILL hasn't panned out like Bethel Johnson, they have a Deion Branch who had an impact from day 1. For every David Terrell who didn't pan out in FA, they had a David Patten.

People have every right & SHOULD question the Pats to this point, but lets hold back on making predictions til we see the full roster as TC opens. After the draft & june 1st cuts it most certainly will look different than what you see today.

Miguel said:
Are you including players re-signed before free agency started on the 11th???

In some cases, yes. This is just from a rough, still incomplete spreadsheet I've been keeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes