PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Have At Least $11M Cap Money Available!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the updated contracts except Tracy White, Steve Williams, Kevin Faulk, and Sammy Morris, none of whom I expect to count against the top 51 Salaries if they signed vet minimum deals, and not including the Veteran $3M excepts I have the Pats Cap at around $113,763,044. This includes a little over $6.3M in Dead Cap money and leaves us with a little over $6.6M.

So if you add in the execeptions it's around $9.6M.

None of that included incentives because those don't count until the end of the season. I would expect the Pats to carry a little wiggle room for those. Also this $120.375 Cap would include any deals signed before the new league year in 2012 so there will be time to resign Welker and anyone else after the season to get right up to the Cap.

Last edited:
If the cardinals stink it up, i can see Fitzgerald wanting to leave even if they tried to franchise him.I would like to see the pats make a run at him next year.

If the cardinals stink it up, i can see Fitzgerald wanting to leave even if they tried to franchise him.I would like to see the pats make a run at him next year.

I can see them adding a WR in the draft next year to replace Branch.

WR Greg Childs 6'3-217 from Arkansas was one of Mallett's favorite targets. He's not a burner but would give the Pats some size at WR. Can probably be had in the late 2nd/early 3rd with his injury history.

They cant frenchise him, he has a clause in his contract that they cant tag him.

There should also be additional Cap room created once final cuts are made.

For instance I think it highly unlikely Jonathan Wilhite and his $1.2M salary make the team as the 6th CB. By cutting him and elevating the next lowest guys on the 51 you save about $750K.

I'd like to see the Pats sign a few veteran defensive linemen to help at that position

Current space about $12.3M-$15.3M.

inconceivable-1.jpg

we werent going to pay him what the eagles gave him back then. So why would we trade a pick, and pick up his over inflated contract now? No way this trade happens.
Not that I agree with the move, but the answer to your question is that we wouldn't be paying him what the Eagles paid him, we'd be paying the remaining salaries and zero signing bonus. That's a ton less than what that original contract was.

Do we know whether or not there is a means to push cap room forward into the future if its not used?
The new CBA allows for exemptions, and for borrowing against future caps on a limited basis, but do we know whether there are provisions to stay under and add that to next years cap? Given the coming cash floor, it would seem to make sense.

For those who keep track, how does this compare to what was reportedly offered last year. The insulting offer.

I want to say I remember it as a 5 year deal with about $6.5M avg but nothing was ever revealed TMK.

With all the updated contracts except Tracy White, Steve Williams, Kevin Faulk, and Sammy Morris, none of whom I expect to count against the top 51 Salaries if they signed vet minimum deals, and not including the Veteran $3M excepts I have the Pats Cap at around $113,763,044. This includes a little over $6.3M in Dead Cap money and leaves us with a little over $6.6M.

So if you add in the execeptions it's around $9.6M.

None of that included incentives because those don't count until the end of the season. I would expect the Pats to carry a little wiggle room for those. Also this $120.375 Cap would include any deals signed before the new league year in 2012 so there will be time to resign Welker and anyone else after the season to get right up to the Cap.

Incentives count if they are likely to be earned.

Do we know whether or not there is a means to push cap room forward into the future if its not used?
The new CBA allows for exemptions, and for borrowing against future caps on a limited basis, but do we know whether there are provisions to stay under and add that to next years cap? Given the coming cash floor, it would seem to make sense.

It's a little more straight forward in the new CBA. You can use LTBE but you can also simply notify the league in writing of the amount of cap space you wish to push forward before the end of the season.

Miguel has updated his pages to account for all the now known contracts. He has us at $13.5M under but he is including the $3M credit. He is also not including any of Haynesworth's incentives, which if they are LTBE will count against the cap. So we are $10.5M not including thos and not including the $3M credit if we have not chosen to use it. I happen to disagree with Miguel's characterization of it being part of the Patriots true cap for the reason that teams don't automatically get that credit unless they choose request in writing to the league to utilize it on 3 specific players, and it has to be paid back in later caps. Given we are currently well under I don't see at this juncture why we would.

Last edited:
For those who keep track, how does this compare to what was reportedly offered last year. The insulting offer.

I think that offer was just rumored to be somewhat less than evans -- no actual numbers revealed.

evans: (from rotoworld)
5/5/2010: Signed a seven-year, $56.7 million contract. The deal included a $12 million signing bonus. 2011-2012: $3 million, 2013: $7.2 million, 2014-2015: $6.8 million (+ $500,000 roster bonuses), 2016: $8 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2017: Free Agent

This offer on the whole is a lot more, although the signing bonus and guarantees may not be much greater. The AAV was what was in dispute. I recall the Patriots felt the new money was in excess of $7M while the agent felt including the RFA tender year dragged the overall average down to $6.5M.

He is also not including any of Haynesworth's incentives, which if they are LTBE will count against the cap.

Since I do not know if they are LTBE or not, I chose not to include them.

So we are $10.5M not including thos and not including the $3M credit if we have not chosen to use it. I happen to disagree with Miguel's characterization of it being part of the Patriots true cap for the reason that teams don't automatically get that credit unless they choose request in writing to the league to utilize it on 3 specific players, and it has to be paid back in later caps. Given we are currently well under I don't see at this juncture why we would.

IMO, it is better to inform my readers of this possibility. I also read someplace in a cap status report that the reported cap space amounts were including the $3 million credit so I thought I should be consistent. I may change the word to possible cap limit just to make you feel better;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back