PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Have At Least $11M Cap Money Available!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you are presuming that the original post is based on old (two weeks ago) info? I'd assumed that this was a new calculation of the Pats' cap room, based triggered by the Mankins signing, because of the timing and wording of the post.

Hmmm.

Going to put this in all caps bold so some of you of may get it before going on further FA sprees...

WE DO NOT HAVE $11.5M IN CAP SPACE. PROBABLY CLOSER TO $4-5M. $7-8M IF YOU PRESUME WE ALREADY BORROWED THE $3M IN CAP CREDIT FOR VETERANS, WHICH IS SOMETHING I WOULD NOT PRESUME AT THIS TIME.

So you are presuming that the original post is based on old (two weeks ago) info? I'd assumed that this was a new calculation of the Pats' cap room, based triggered by the Mankins signing, because of the timing and wording of the post.

Hmmm.

No. Miguel had us at $11.5M under last night based on initial media reports of Chad and Albert's restructures and presuming we had already decided to borrow the $3M in available veteran credits. But some of his assumptions were based on incorrect initial media spin of Chad and Albert's deals. And I would not assume we borrowed anything just yet. There is no information on Mankins deal yet other than he's signed one. And the details of another signing are now public (Anderson $1.375M).

That's quite a suspicious amount of money. Any high quality disgruntled guys out there not named Osi? Maybe a nice fancy Safety?

You know what? Forget it. I'm satisfied. Let's just ink a couple extensions.

I knew somebody would mention Osi, so let me just say this. I was watching ESPN yesterday. They had Chris Carter on saying that Osi's knee is shot, that he will be a shell of his former self, that he will never be an every down player again, and that he'd never pay him a bunch of money.

The report totally soured me on any Osi to the Pats talk.

I knew somebody would mention Osi, so let me just say this. I was watching ESPN yesterday. They had Chris Carter on saying that Osi's knee is shot, that he will be a shell of his former self, that he will never be an every down player again, and that he'd never pay him a bunch of money.

I saw that report. The only question is, does Carter play a Dr. on tv, or does he have inside information.

Chris Carter? Yeah....I really think i neek a second opinion.

Chris Carter? Yeah....I really think i neek a second opinion.
Carter hates on everyone who isn't a binkie or is a pal of his. Using his opinion as an assessment piece is like asking the London youth for their moral standpoint on rioting.

No. Miguel had us at $11.5M under last night based on initial media reports of Chad and Albert's restructures and presuming we had already decided to borrow the $3M in available veteran credits. But some of his assumptions were based on incorrect initial media spin of Chad and Albert's deals. And I would not assume we borrowed anything just yet. There is no information on Mankins deal yet other than he's signed one. And the details of another signing are now public (Anderson $1.375M).

that and the fact it was said he is the now the highest paid OG in the league. Given that Evans is making 6.28 mil this year it's a good assumption to say that Mankins is making close to 7 mil this year. Which is a big chunk of that 11 mil

It is being reported on NFL.com that the money from the Haynesworth restructure was required for the Mankins deal to occur. If that is the case, our cap space would seem pretty limited.

Besides I'm sure BB wants to have a little wiggle room to keep a real threat against other teams attempt to clear waivers. You never know when you might have to pounce on a deal, nice to be ready.

Last edited:
But they just finalized the deal with Mankins, why would they "surprise themselves" with extra cap room rather than front-loading it more at this point without a plan to spend the money? They know that they have some key players due for paydays in the years to follow (e.g. Mayo & Vollmer next year -- NOT this year, they never extend that early).

Some vets in their final contract years to contemplate:
-------
Welker (keep) we must weigh price v. age v. edelman I <3 Wes FYI
Koppen ( id draft his replacement)
Connolly (Cannon) sign connolly cheaply if u must he is merely depth
Sanders bye
Meriweather cya
Green-Ellis gone, but I hope not. lets see what he does
Guyton resign depending on how he is as a 4-3 olb
Wilhite adios
Ninkovich resign... I always liked him and BB has a man crush on him.
Moore lets see what he can do my guess gone.

we can't sign all, but we can certainly replace players @ depth positions

Mayo
Vollmer
are KEY to extend in the future we can't waste too much on these other guys

Last edited:
plenty of room for a new contract for osi

anyone?

anyone?

The Giants want a 1st round pick and the guy is breaking down physically, no thanks.

Here is what I get:

Miguel has us at 11.5 million With the $3 million credit. But that also includes Mankins at his old number of 10.3 Million.

You add in Mark Anderson at 1.375 million and that knocks Ryan Wendell ($533K) out of the Top 51. With a difference of about 800K. So, it would drop the Pats to about 7.8 million in free cap space.

You add in Andre Carter at 1.75 Million for 1 year (no SB mentioned). That knocks Rich Ohrnberger below the Top 51. That would bring the cap space from 7.8 million to about 6.5 million.

Now, Miguel also had Chad getting a 1.5 million SB. Hence the 500K SB listed. It turns out that it's actually a 4.5 million signing bonus. That adds 1 million, so leaves the pats with about 5.5 Million.

Now, Haynesworth has a TON of Incentives. I'd be willing to bet that there is probably 2.18M in LTBE bonues. That would take it down to about 3.3 million.

That 3.3 million does not include Mankins new deal, Carter's Signing bonus (if it's not in the 1.75 already) or Steve Williams deal. Nor does it include the injury settlements to Ryan Coulson or Anthony Leonard. But it does include Chad Johnson, Andre Carter, and Mark Anderson.

On another note, I just noticed that Miguel has neither Sammy Morris nor Chris Morris listed. But, I believe that Sammy signed for the vet minimum, which would put him below the top 51. Chris Morris would be above the top 51, but I believe it's only a difference of about 75K.

My best guess is that, after Mankins re-structure, and including Steve Williams, the Pats have about $6 million in free space...

Last edited:
Since we are all making guesses I'm throwing one out that I think could happen given:

1) Player plays CB - a position his current team has upgraded through free agency
2) BB has traded with this team several times before
3) Player already is familiar with the Patriot System
4. Player can't tackle.
5. Player soft against the run.
6. Player gets 10 pics a year, by gambling and giving up 30 TDs a year.

Why do you think The Iggles went out and got NA and DRC? They are willing to eat the big singing bonus money they spent on AS just to get him out of there.

I like AS. He was good for us the same way Kyle Arrington is good for us.

AS isn't worth the money he wants.

Here is what I get:

Miguel has us at 11.5 million With the $3 million credit. But that also includes Mankins at his old number of 10.3 Million.

You add in Mark Anderson at 1.375 million and that knocks Ryan Wendell ($533K) out of the Top 51. With a difference of about 800K. So, it would drop the Pats to about 7.8 million in free cap space.
I'm not understanding this math?

Use that money for next year and try and get Larry Fitzgerald.I am sure Larry would love to play with Tom.

anyone?

No. Unless you think Osi is going to play for only a few mill a year...

I'm not understanding this math?

What aren't you understanding?

Miguel's Page does not have Mankins' new numbers. So the 11.5 million he lists for free space is without Mankins' extension. Meaning that more money will be freed up.

Miguel's page also doesn't list Mark Anderson. Anderson's salary is 1.375 Million. That put's him in the top 51 and knocks Ryan Wendell out of the top 51., The difference between Wendell's cap number and Anderson's cap number is 800K (give or take a few 10K). So, when you add Anderson and subtract Wendell the cap space is only reduced by the 800K. Not the 1.375 mil.

Here is what I get:

You add in Andre Carter at 1.75 Million for 1 year (no SB mentioned). That knocks Rich Ohrnberger below the Top 51. That would bring the cap space from 7.8 million to about 6.5 million.

Now, Miguel also had Chad getting a 1.5 million SB. Hence the 500K SB listed. It turns out that it's actually a 4.5 million signing bonus. That adds 1 million, so leaves the pats with about 5.5 Million.

Now, Haynesworth has a TON of Incentives. I'd be willing to bet that there is probably 2.18M in LTBE bonues. That would take it down to about 3.3 million.

That 3.3 million does not include Mankins new deal, Carter's Signing bonus (if it's not in the 1.75 already) or Steve Williams deal. Nor does it include the injury settlements to Ryan Coulson or Anthony Leonard. But it does include Chad Johnson, Andre Carter, and Mark Anderson.

On another note, I just noticed that Miguel has neither Sammy Morris nor Chris Morris listed. But, I believe that Sammy signed for the vet minimum, which would put him below the top 51. Chris Morris would be above the top 51, but I believe it's only a difference of about 75K.

My best guess is that, after Mankins re-structure, and including Steve Williams, the Pats have about $6 million in free space...

Well now.. :bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back