PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Was this a "Get things on tape" game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patriotscpfc

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
A lot of Ridley. A lot of different looks with Tiquan and Julian out there.

We also saw some Cannon on Offense.

On the Punt Return where Edelman dropped the ball, there was a player (who I can't remember) running a reverse on the play.

On D, there was a lot of Carter as a 34DE. Then you have Jones and my boy, Slater playing 75+ snaps, Ihedigbo playing at OLB. Koutivides at MLB. To top it all off there was some scrub called McCourty starting at CB.

I think we'll see the same vs Bills and Dolphins, but the next 2 games are big. Orakpo and Kerrigan. Dumervil and Miller. Light, Solder, Vollmer and Cannon have to be ready.

The more teams have to prepare for in the playoffs, the better.

It was good to see a lot of different looks... it would be great if slater could get more reps at safety. He def. has the size and speed.

Despite the impressive team record, I am surprised that people take seriously the suggestion that, having clinched absolutely nothing, Belichick is sufficiently confident in either making the playoffs and gaining the #1 seed or, alternatively, in making the playoffs and not caring about seeding and its implications for home field advantage, that he is doing anything other than trying his best to win the game. The new personnel can easily be explained by injuries and dissatisfaction with the performance of certain players to date. Indeed, given the performance of the defense to date, I would be shocked if the coach were not trying everything in his power to improve, including using any different personnel that might offer an upgrade.

a lot of that happend when they were up by three TD's with the way the fish have been playing on defense and there running game and the talent the bills have on offense i dont think we will see that again

Last edited:
It was good to see a lot of different looks... it would be great if slater could get more reps at safety. He def. has the size and speed.

I agree that Slater at safety was the really pleasant surprise yesterday. He looked a lot better than I would have expected. Out of all of yesterday's experiments, that would have to be the one that most worked out.

Last edited:
Despite the impressive team record, I am surprised that people take seriously the suggestion that, having clinched absolutely nothing, Belichick is sufficiently confident in either making the playoffs and gaining the #1 seed or, alternatively, in making the playoffs and not caring about seeding and its implications for home field advantage, that he is doing anything other than trying his best to win the game. The new personnel can easily be explained by injuries and dissatisfaction with the performance of certain players to date. Indeed, given the performance of the defense to date, I would be shocked if the coach were not trying everything in his power to improve, including using any different personnel that might offer an upgrade.

I wholeheartily disagree. The defense that played the previous 3-4 weeks were playing fairly well together. Why blow it up? I could see if it was a few players or different schemes, but we are talking about wholesale changes throughout the game. The Pats haven't given up more than 14 points on defense in non-garbage time games in weeks.

I wholeheartily disagree. The defense that played the previous 3-4 weeks were playing fairly well together. Why blow it up? I could see if it was a few players or different schemes, but we are talking about wholesale changes throughout the game. The Pats haven't given up more than 14 points on defense in non-garbage time games in weeks.

Do you really think that BB was deliberately not doing his best to win the game?

Many fans do not understand others who criticize a team that is 9-3. More will be understanding of criticism of their 32nd ranked defense even as it has improved in recent weeks. You are apparently happy with the defense and would make few changes because "The Pats haven't given up more than 14 points on defense in non-garbage time games in weeks." The unspecified changes you refer to as "blowing up the defense" are in your mind too major to be warranted based on performance. I disagree. Run defense has been good, but the defense continues to struggle against the pass, both in rushing the QB and defending receivers. Remember the first quarter of the Eagles game? Andy Reid obviously saw what you do not but he was unable to exploit it. Meanwhile our DLs are not getting to the QB and our DBs are not defending passes. Sure, against second string QBs we get by, but we may not be so fortunate against better competition. I think BB has larger goals than to simply outscore undermanned teams that will be watching tv in January. I think that each of the changes he made can be explained by injuries (Chung and Ihedigbo) or poor performance (Guyton) or combinations of the two. If you care to offer some examples of the changes you do not understand, I suspect many people could offer several possible explanations why they are consistent with trying to improve the defense.

Last edited:
Do you really think that BB was deliberately not doing his best to win the game?

Many fans do not understand others who criticize a team that is 9-3. More will be understanding of criticism of their 32nd ranked defense even as it has improved in recent weeks. You are apparently happy with the defense and would make few changes because "The Pats haven't given up more than 14 points on defense in non-garbage time games in weeks." The unspecified changes you refer to as "blowing up the defense" are in your mind too major to be warranted based on performance. I disagree. Run defense has been good, but the defense continues to struggle against the pass, both in rushing the QB and defending receivers. Remember the first quarter of the Eagles game? Andy Reid obviously saw what you do not but he was unable to exploit it. Meanwhile our DLs are not getting to the QB and our DBs are not defending passes. Sure, against second string QBs we get by, but we may not be so fortunate against better competition. I think BB has larger goals than to simply outscore undermanned teams that will be watching tv in January. I think that each of the changes he made can be explained by injuries (Chung and Ihedigbo) or poor performance (Guyton) or combinations of the two. If you care to offer some examples of the changes you do not understand, I suspect many people could offer several possible explanations why they are consistent with trying to improve the defense.

First, he was trying to win, but he knew that they were going to win while experimenting.

Second, I did remember the first quarter of the Eagles game and I saw that the Pats made adjustments and fixed the problems.

Third, Antwane Molden didn't play eventhough he was playing fairly well and wasn't injured. Sterling Moore played at CB eventhough he was playing pretty well at safety. The Pats used the Big Nickel for the first time in three years. The Pats put Andre Carter in a four point stance. There are things that Belichick tried out beyond a few personnel moves.

Third, apparently the entire media are snow balled. Everyone in the media believes that Belichick did do a lot experimenting from Mike Reiss to Mazz and Felger to Tom Curran to the Big Show to whoever. If these guys think that, why are you having such a hard problem accepting it?

It seems crystal clear that Belichick was using this game to try out different things.

NFL rules say that teams can only have 14 padded practices a year. Well, Belichick is a cheater. He just got a 15th :lol2:

NFL rules say that teams can only have 14 padded practices a year. Well, Belichick is a cheater. He just got a 15th :lol2:

I agree. Belichick might not have done his best to win the game yesterday, but he did his best yesterday to get this team ready to win a Super Bowl. With all the injuries on this team this year especially in the secondary, giving Matthew Slater real game snaps yesterday at safety could pay off in dividends in the playoffs if Moore or Ihedebgo goes down.

No, it's because he does take it seriously.

Four teams are 9-3 so it looks like meaningful games through Week 17.

Yesterday may be the only game available for meaningful evaluation.

Maybe he's just doing this to degrade the roster. Why do you assume he wants to upgrade the roster?

You need to understand the gameplans.

Andy Reid decided to blow the Patriots out for the first ten minutes then coast to a 3 score loss.

Miami, Oakland, NYJ, and Indianapolis did the opposite. They decided to spot the Patriots a four score lead THEN start playing in the last half of the fourth quarter so they all could lose by 2 scores.

All these opponents had the same goal. Seven minutes of quality football to go with double digit loses.

I agree. Belichick might not have done his best to win the game yesterday, but he did his best yesterday to get this team ready to win a Super Bowl. With all the injuries on this team this year especially in the secondary, giving Matthew Slater real game snaps yesterday at safety could pay off in dividends in the playoffs if Moore or Ihedebgo goes down.

Every single one of your posts makes loads of sense to me, Rob. I think your thoughts on this are as close to the real story as we are going to get.

I think that what BB is rightfully irritated about is that he expects these players to play decently against a squad like the Colts. He was not trying to lose as someone suggested (WTF?) he was trying to win and at the same time improve the team for the near future. If you can't do something
like this against the future 0-16 Colts, who do you do it against?

People seem annoyed the game wasn't 60-0, BB sticking it to
Polian, whatever. But how does a romp like that tell you much about the team and it's playoff prospects? It doesn't, it's just our superior squad unsurprisingly outplaying the other. This was more valuable from an informational standpoint for BB. Plus, it's also a bit of an insult to the Colts organization, if you want to look at it that way.

Last edited:
You need to understand the gameplans.

Andy Reid decided to blow the Patriots out for the first ten minutes then coast to a 3 score loss.

Miami, Oakland, NYJ, and Indianapolis did the opposite. They decided to spot the Patriots a four score lead THEN start playing in the last half of the fourth quarter so they all could lose by 2 scores.

All these opponents had the same goal. Seven minutes of quality football to go with double digit loses.

Yes. I see. Now it all makes sense. Thanks!

Every single one of your posts makes loads of sense to me, Rob. I think your thoughts on this are as close to the real story as we are going to get.

Get a room you two! :eek:

First, he was trying to win, but he knew that they were going to win while experimenting.

Second, I did remember the first quarter of the Eagles game and I saw that the Pats made adjustments and fixed the problems.

Third, Antwane Molden didn't play eventhough he was playing fairly well and wasn't injured. Sterling Moore played at CB eventhough he was playing pretty well at safety. The Pats used the Big Nickel for the first time in three years. The Pats put Andre Carter in a four point stance. There are things that Belichick tried out beyond a few personnel moves.

Third, apparently the entire media are snow balled. Everyone in the media believes that Belichick did do a lot experimenting from Mike Reiss to Mazz and Felger to Tom Curran to the Big Show to whoever. If these guys think that, why are you having such a hard problem accepting it?

It seems crystal clear that Belichick was using this game to try out different things.

Belichick said as much on the Big Show at 4pm this afternoon, not sure why mack has such a hard time believing this. He said they have these guys play different position in practice and yesterdays 4th qt was a good time to see how they would react in a game situation. In other words hes preparing in case some of these guys have to come into a game and play.

Fourth-quarter defensive meltdowns in the Super Bowl are a staple of the BB Pats. The defense looked SB-ready against Indy. :D

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand