PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Visiting Rams fan here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pisa, just wanted to say thanks for an informative post. (And interested to see a Rams fan with the Sept 2004 join date!)

There should be more on Pace after today's practice. The immediate problem is a quad injur which caused him to miss last week's game. The linering problem is his right arm which has been injured two years in a row. He can't punch with that arm and can not control an opponent, though he has some use of it.

Before his latest injury, he was playing pretty well, below his standard but better than the rest of the line.

Thank You for the nice post and quick breakdown of your team. Sometimes it can be tough to follow some of the NFC teams especially the ones not in the thick of it.

I wish more Opponents fans would post like this. Instead of coming in and starting a fight you came in a told us alot about your team and plenty we didn't know already and helped us get ready to watch your guys face ours.

I second that. A great post.

... they're coming off an emotional high of a big win over a winning team against a team that has historically had it's number;...

avoid an emotional letdown that results in the team coming out as flat as they did against the Dolphins after the Jets game.

The way I would ensure that it doesn't happen is to make the entire team (including coaches) watch the Fins and Bolts game again. That will make the players sick and get rid of any high. :cool:

Welcome to Pats fans,Pisa...there's a game thread on Sundays you may find pretty comedic...especially if the Rams take a lead

It best to visit before the temperature gets too hot. I avoided the Super Bowl, Spygate and will avoid Game Day. You have a great board here, well moderated and filled with a lot of good articulate fans.

Of course that isn't always true but that's the nature of fandom. We have had some tough times in Ramsland as you all know.

Marc Bulger scares the bejeesus out of me. It's those pesky accurate QBs that tend to give us fits; if he's willing to stay patient and get to 3rd downs when needed I could see a number of long drives.

On the other side of the ball Long and Little (and James Hall) really could be trouble. Might well be another busy day for Watson, Thomas, and Evans.

I haven't watched a Rams game this season, how has Jake Long been playing?

Thanks for posting Pisa. I am wondering, however, what happened with Linehan? Why did the players not respond to him? Was it schemes or personality or both?

*extends hand*

*pulls back hand to stroke hair as you go to shake my hand*

I thought Linehan just didn't have the background to be an NFL HC. He was a coordinator for Tice & Saban, built a reputation on Culpepper and Moss and was given the Rams job where he was expected to be HC, OC, Draft Maven, prob personnel guy and the face of the franchise. Martz failed under the same expectations. It was just ridiculous of the Ram front office, Shaw and Zymunt to think a guy who had never been head coach anywhere could fill all those roles.

On top of all that he was unlucky, running into a terrible injury situation in 07 and then having to play the Giants, Eagles, Seahawks and Bills in his first four games this year. He didn't have the major injuries of the previous year but had a lot of guys playing at less than full strenghth. After that he was in a losing spiral that he just couldn't break.

I think he might do well on a smaller stage, head coach at some small univierity. He seemed like a decent guy and a smart but inexperienced football guy.

Great to have you here, Pisa.

It's a long time since I watched the Rams (still have a soft spot for them because a couple of the guys who introduced me to "American" football were Rams fans) but my last memory was of watching Jackson and Bulger -- great players, both of them -- being overwhelmed by blitzers pouring through the offensive line as if it didn't exist.

Looking forward to Sunday -- this is a season in which I don't count on anything, don't count anything out. It's good to be a fan!

It's been almost impossible to beat the Pats at home in a long time but I think the Rams can be competitive. The key will be whether Steven Jackson can play at a high level and take most of the snaps. He hurt a quad in the game against the Cowboys and the Rams have been pretty secretive about the extent of the injury. The Rams have nobody behind him.

The Rams were every bit as bad as their record in their first three losses to the Giants, Eagles and Seahawks. Jackson had held out all training camp and wasn't ready to go. Alex Barron was the only lineman who played much for them last year and the group had coordination problems. Orlando Pace was still bothered by a shoulder injury and had to sit out last week with a quad injury (there seems to be an outbreak of quad injuries around the league). Jacob Bell has played injured, Mark Setterstrom and Randy McMichael are out for the season. However, the Rams have simplified schemes and gotten decent work from the new group of Goldberg, Bell, Leckey, Incognito and Barron. Incognito has played like a beast this year but he is one of the dirtiest players I have ever seen.

The Rams receivers were set back early by injuries to Drew Bennett (still out), Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton. Avery played for the first time in the last two games and made important contributions to both wins. The group of Holt, Avery and Burton, another rookie, shows promise. The QB, Marc Bulger, seems to be 100% better with the improved line play and the additional weapons provided by the young receivers and the return to form of Jackson.

The strength of the team has been the play of the front four (actually a front seven consisting of Long, Carriker, Ryan, Adeyanju, Hall, Little and Glover). Carriker seems unlikely to play at this point and is a big loss to the run defense. He and Ryan have proved very difficult to move and it will be hard for Glover to anchor for an entire game.

The Rams have gotten decent play from their linebackers and Witherspoon seems to be healthy after being injured thru training camp. The secondary has been reorganized at corner after injuries to Tye Hill, Ricky Manning and Justin Long. They now start Brown and Bartell with Craft in the nickel. The two safeties, Chavous and Atogwe now seem healthy and productive after struggling with training camp injuries.

The Pats looked very good against Denver, appeared to be a totally different team. They were very conservative using a lot of zone blocking and Cassell did a solid job of managing the attack. Moss and Welker scare me to death. The defensive front looks healthy again and the back seven seemed to be flying around.

I don't think the Rams will get blown out unless Jackson can't play. However, it's hard to see a Rams victory against a New England team playing well at home. I hope it is a good game and that everybody stays healthy.

Great post, thanks for bringing me up to speed on the Rams. This is a classic trap game and if the Patriots don't play hard for 60 minutes they will lose. I am pretty sure we can contain Jackson, it will be Bulger who will beat us. I am sure your defensive front is better than Denver's so if Cassel struggles it will be a long afternoon. Good luck on your season and agreed, no more injuries.

I expect this to be a very close game. With Jackson in the lineup I'm hoping the Pats don't have the same game plan as the one they had against SD which was to contain LT and a zero pass rush. I'll be interested to see how Bulger attacks the secondary now that one of the Pats field generals isn't back there anymore.

On the flip side, I see the Rams defensive front posing problems for the O-line and MC.

According to the Rams injury report, Jackson did not practice but worked with the strength coach and Carriker did not practice. Without Carriker, the Rams have to get a lot of snaps out LeRoi Glover and some play at DT from their defensive ends, Adeyanju and Hall. Against the Pats they may miss Carriker most in goal line and short yardage defense. He is most valuable against those teams with huge interior linemen like the Cowboys. Pace did practice.

I did like these comments from Haslett:

On if he knows Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick well)

“Yeah, I know Bill pretty well.”

(On his relationship with Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick)

“Well, I mean we don’t really have a relationship. We spent some time together in the offseason when we were down in New Orleans. He’s all business, he’s all about football and he does a great job of it.”

Last edited:
Pisa, while here, make sure to vote in our "Name the Opponent" poll. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe