PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very thin @ CB.. Will a trade for an experienced CB be viable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Sean Smith is more realistic than Marcus Cooper. Smith is a FA after this year. Cooper still has one year left at very minimal money.

Chiefs are in really no position where they have to get something for Cooper, unless they are about to cut him. Whereas it's very possible they will lose Smith, don't see them tagging him, and offering say a 4th and 7th would be more than they would get compensatory wise and it would be sooner.

Last edited:
O
Including predicted compensatory picks, I believe our picks are as follows:

1st (Stolen)
2nd
3rd
3rd (Compensatory -Revis)
4th
5th To Texans (K. Martin)
6th From Texans (KMartin)
6th To Bears (Bostic)
6th (Compensatory -Wilfork)
6th (Compensatory - Vereen)
6th (Compensatory - Ayers)
7th From Texans (Mallett)
7th

Thats 10 picks still. Not all of them are making the team.
You don't think Ridley, Cassilas, and Browner have any compensatory value?

Man, can you imagine if Dobson somehow goes off tonight? ESPN and NFL network will lose it most. They won't know anything about who he is.

O

You don't think Ridley, Cassilas, and Browner have any compensatory value?
There contracts are smaller than the other 4, and you are only allowed 4 per league rules.

Belichick has a 3rd and 6th to work with, probably with a 5th coming back (since we don't have a 5th).

I was thinking the same but it seems just bad decisions and bad luck with CB FA's too....

- Brown
- Fletcher
- Roberts
- McClain
- Cox
- Chekwa

In BB I trust...that he makes a trade soon. I know he will fix this.

EDIT: and everyone likes to mention trading picks....but it's entirely possible that a player may be involved as well or instead.

Neither bad decisions nor bad luck. When you choose to fill a position with s bevy of low cost options, you do so knowing most will flop. It may have been a bad decision to use that technique, but the Pats aren't exactly swimming in cap room for the CB position.

I suspect if there is a trade, it'll be a future 7th for someone 99% of the people here haven't even heard of. Or it'll be another waiver claim, FA type guy. But the odds of NE trading for a certain top 2 CB are very low. Considering the depth at safety, if Melvin pans out they may not make a move at all.

On roster moves, I've learned the The Hoodie will do something we don't expect- just like he has the players do on the field. He's very good at this dynamic, which makes perfect sense given the situations he works from. If he were predictable and gave infos away, he'd be called a fool. Instead, he's got everyone else emulating him. However, BB is simply steadfast...the coach's Coach. :D

I say try to swing a trade with KC for Sean Smith and sign Melvin White off of the Ram's practice squad. He's a former starter from Carolina that was waived earlier this year.

If you consider we only have a 75% chance of Goodell not taking our 2017 first round draft pick I say trade the thing before he does. (2 of last 8 picks taken)

Neither bad decisions nor bad luck. When you choose to fill a position with s bevy of low cost options, you do so knowing most will flop. It may have been a bad decision to use that technique, but the Pats aren't exactly swimming in cap room for the CB position.

I suspect if there is a trade, it'll be a future 7th for someone 99% of the people here haven't even heard of. Or it'll be another waiver claim, FA type guy. But the odds of NE trading for a certain top 2 CB are very low. Considering the depth at safety, if Melvin pans out they may not make a move at all.

Sorry I disagree. Not sure how else you can spin it...going to IR on a season ending injury IS bad luck. It's certainly not good luck. And Fletcher was torched in Philly just like he was with the Pats.

However I do agree with you about the bad technique...which could have been avoided when the Pats DID have the cap room. Regardless...BB will find a way to fix this.

Last edited:
Sorry I disagree. Not sure how else you can spin it...going to IR on a season ending injury IS bad luck. It's certainly not good luck. And Fletcher was torched in Philly just like he was with the Pats.

However I do agree with you about the bad technique...which could have been avoided when the Pats DID have the cap room. Regardless...BB will find a way to fix this.

Someone goes on IR every year for every team. It may be bad "luck" in that it could have gone better, but it is to be expected at some point.

Someone goes on IR every year for every team. It may be bad "luck" in that it could have gone better, but it is to be expected at some point.

Very true regarding bad luck...unfortunately it stung us at CB more then once.

Very true regarding bad luck...unfortunately it stung us at CB more then once.

You know what, I completely forgot about Roberts, I was just thinking of one injury. That is above average, so I was mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST