PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Very thin @ CB.. Will a trade for an experienced CB be viable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we trade for a CB but none of the ones we think. It will be some blue collar vet that while not well known or top tier is okay.

I think picking up a guy like Sean Smith would probably cost around $4mill for the remainder of the season

Verner would be even less, although he's not a FA after the season and his cap hit jumps much higher the next 2 years

Incorrect

Smith and Verner would cost the same. $2.75m

I think we trade for a CB but none of the ones we think. It will be some blue collar vet that while not well known or top tier is okay.

Mathis? He's a vet. 35.

This is becoming an "Earthwind Moreland" kinda year...

Yep. It will be tough to upgrade via trade so coaching them up is the only real choice. On the other hand there is no one I trust more to fix a problem in season.

Incorrect

Smith and Verner would cost the same. $2.75m

Really? That's good to know.

I figured it wasn't as simple as the way I was calculating things.

Also what is projected to be a comp 3rd and 3 comp 6ths.

In the past the Pats have tried to trade picks spaced too close together so they might not mind trading that 3rd.
Yep. A 3rd is rich but the other team can also trade a 4th or 5th in return.

image.jpg

"Put me in, Coach... I'm ready to play."

Depends on the contract. Roberts being IR was a mistake. Idk. This team is one injury away in the secondary to being in trouble. Lets see what melvin brings to the table. I still don't trust logan ryan
Logan Ryan is not good in man coverage. We know that.

....as long as he doesn't draft them :p

I was thinking the same but it seems just bad decisions and bad luck with CB FA's too....

- Brown
- Fletcher
- Roberts
- McClain
- Cox
- Chekwa

In BB I trust...that he makes a trade soon. I know he will fix this.

EDIT: and everyone likes to mention trading picks....but it's entirely possible that a player may be involved as well or instead.

I was thinking the same but it seems just bad decisions and bad luck with CB FA's too....

- Brown
- Fletcher
- Roberts
- McClain
- Cox
- Chekwa

In BB I trust...that he makes a trade soon. I know he will fix this.

EDIT: and everyone likes to mention trading picks....but it's entirely possible that a player may be involved as well or instead.
Last year he shopped at Neiman Marcus for CBs.

This year......Caldor

Cap is driving factor. If he wants to pick up a 7 figure contract he would need to trade one. More likely he grabs a cast off imo.

2016 NFL Free Agents Tracker

There's a list, that I'm sure has been posted before, of CBs in the last year of their contract.
A losing team might be willing to swing for a late pick ala Akeem Ayers, Casilias, et al.

Possibilities:
Coty Sensabaugh, longtime Titans nickelback
Sterling Moore, recently demoted Bucs nickelback and former Pat
Josh Robinson Vikings nickelback, on PUP
Trumaine Johnson starting Rams CB
Janoris Jenkins starting Rams CB
Corey White Dallas reserve CB, 20 starts at CB and FS
Morris Claiborne, Dallas reserve CB, 2012 1st round pick, Dalls waived 5th year option
Jamell Fleming, KC starting CB

2016 NFL Free Agents Tracker

There's a list, that I'm sure has been posted before, of CBs in the last year of their contract.
A losing team might be willing to swing for a late pick ala Akeem Ayers, Casilias, et al.

Possibilities:
Coty Sensabaugh, longtime Titans nickelback
Sterling Moore, recently demoted Bucs nickelback and former Pat
Josh Robinson Vikings nickelback, on PUP
Trumaine Johnson starting Rams CB
Janoris Jenkins starting Rams CB
Corey White Dallas reserve CB, 20 starts at CB and FS
Morris Claiborne, Dallas reserve CB, 2012 1st round pick, Dalls waived 5th year option
Jamell Fleming, KC starting CB

This is good info. Thanks!

Coty Sensabaugh: Career Stats at NFL.com
Sterling Moore: Career Stats at NFL.com
Josh Robinson: Career Stats at NFL.com
Trumaine Johnson: Career Stats at NFL.com
Janoris Jenkins: Career Stats at NFL.com
Corey White: Career Stats at NFL.com
Morris Claiborne: Career Stats at NFL.com
Jamell Fleming: Career Stats at NFL.com

Last edited:
Not Sterling Moore. Please no, I don't want to literally replicate the 2011 secondary.

I think the secondary might come to bite bill in the fanny. I hope not. I still expect a trade but i bet its not some of the names that have been mentioned.

This secondary is a real issue and unless addressed, and soon, the Pats cannot figure to be in control of games against good offensive teams. I would think Coach BB knows this.

I spent a great deal of last season yelling at my tv for BB to replace Arrington with Butler, especially during the SB. This year I think Dax Swanson is the guy. He played very well in pre-season, yes I know it was against "lessor competition", but he looked like a gamer and was always around the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3