PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Vereen - stay or go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just described the role of passing-down/shotgun/whatever back on the Patriots. He should be somewhat competent as both a WR and a between-the-tackles RB. He should be more than competent on the pass plays and runs that will actually be called for him. He should be a good backfield pass blocker. And guys with that skill set are likely to also be useful on kick/punt return units.

Name all of the Patriots who have been able to fill all of those roles during this era?

It's a short list, Kevin Faulk and Shane Vereen.

You can find a couple who filled some of them, like Woodhead, but only those two have been good at all of them.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
When the handoff/run game breaks down, what do you do? You dump it off to Vereen 11 times for 64 yards. Brady can throw it 50 times a game no problem when that becomes the strategy. He's more valuable than any back we have.

Name all of the Patriots who have been able to fill all of those roles during this era?

You can find a couple who filled some of them, like Woodhead, but only those two have been good at all of them.

How can you say Vereen filled all those roles but Woodhead didn't?

Vereen isn't nearly the runner that Faulk and Woodhead were/are, so unless you are speaking purely about receiving skills, I'm not sure if that line needs to be drawn so fine.

I like Shane and went on record when he was drafted that he would be a perfect Patriot. Despite the fact that he's finally grown into the role, I now think it would be best to let him move on. I see Solder, McCourty, Revis and (moving forward) Jones/HT as higher priorities with Vereen's playoff performance most likely pricing him into the $4mm area.

Regarding White, he was terrible in the preseason, but Shane's running dropped off this year so it wouldn't be hard to replace that. It'll be all about how well James does in passing situations and we really don't have much to go on with that.

Last edited:
Vereen has shown he can be relied upon in the big game and was instrumental in moving the chains in the Superbowl, that alone separates him from the backs with larger per carry numbers. The pats shouldn't pay through the nose for him but the guy has earned his money and if it's within reason I see the Pats rewarding him. Vereens don't grow on trees either.

Anyone know what salary cap situations the Chargers are in? Woody is at 1.5 mill next season and Branden Oliver played well for them when he went down.
Oliver looked pedestrian to pathetic in every SD game I watched this year. Do not want.

Pats will make a reasonable offer but Vereen will probably walk for more money (as he should). Personally I think he's a little over rated anyways. He can't run the ball and he's overrated as a receiver IMO.

Yes he did.

Did they ever line him up there, yes. Did they actually use him as a WR the way they do Vereen, no. Vereen can actually play the WR positions full time if they needed it, and he provides them with far more versatility than Woodhead did. I really like Woodjead but Vereen is a better player IMO.

if Edelman did not get any big offers after a 100 rec 1000 yards season I cant see Vereen getting a offer of more then 3 million from anyone, this system has always run a big part of its offense through the slot WR and 3rd down back and teams know this and will not offer him big money.

there are a few RB's in this Draft that can catch the ball and can be got in the 2th and 3rd round and have the same impact as Vereen, call me crazy but I think Ridley will have a bigger market then Vereen he may not get more money but there will be more teams looking to sign him IMO

Woodhead never played wide receiver or slot receiver for them.

Did they ever line him up there, yes. Did they actually use him as a WR the way they do Vereen, no. Vereen can actually play the WR positions full time if they needed it, and he provides them with far more versatility than Woodhead did. I really like Woodjead but Vereen is a better player IMO.

You're changing your argument on one end and using a hypothetical on the other. You're entitled to your opinion as to who is the better player but I question your reasoning. I'd consider DW every bit as versatile as Vereen and better in some areas.

if Edelman did not get any big offers after a 100 rec 1000 yards season I cant see Vereen getting a offer of more then 3 million from anyone, this system has always run a big part of its offense through the slot WR and 3rd down back and teams know this and will not offer him big money.

2 things regarding vs Edelperson

1) Vereen was drafted high vs Edes 7th. Stupid but it makes a difference.
2) SuperBowl cache Vereen has it now especially with 11 catches whereas The Squirrel wasn't in the SB that contract year

Oliver looked pedestrian to pathetic in every SD game I watched this year. Do not want.
I mean we should try to get Woody back if they want to go with Oliver going forward.

Last edited:
You're changing your argument on one end and using a hypothetical on the other. You're entitled to your opinion as to who is the better player but I question your reasoning. I'd consider DW every bit as versatile as Vereen and better in some areas.

I'm not changing my argument I am acknowledging that they did split Woodhead out at times, but they never used him as a WR the way they do Vereen. I think they let Woodhead walk because they have Vereen, they are not in the same situation now. IMO Vereen is a better player but reasonable people can disagree about that. I like Woodhead but I would rather have Vereen.

I think Woodhead is a slightly better runner but Vereen a better player.

I'm not changing my argument I am acknowledging that they did split Woodhead out at times, but they never used him as a WR the way they do Vereen. I think they let Woodhead walk because they have Vereen, they are not in the same situation now. IMO Vereen is a better player but reasonable people can disagree about that. I like Woodhead but I would rather have Vereen.

It all depends on what you value more. Woodhead is a substantially better runner than Shane, so if a rushing threat creates more options than a guy who is essentially useless totin' the rock but who can functionally line up in more places, than the former is more "versatile."

Shane was further along when Woody was let go than anyone NE has in the ranks now, but NE has invested some low cost investments in an apparent replacement plan. Woodhead himself also demonstrated that it isn't impossible for a newcomer to help out as well.

It all depends on what you value more. Woodhead is a substantially better runner than Shane, so if a rushing threat creates more options than a guy who is essentially useless totin' the rock but who can functionally line up in more places, than the former is more "versatile."

Shane was further along when Woody was let go than anyone NE has in the ranks now, but NE has invested some low cost investments in an apparent replacement plan. Woodhead himself also demonstrated that it isn't impossible for a newcomer to help out as well.

If you think Vereen is "useless" you must feel the same about Woodhead because their rushing numbers are very similar.

I think Woodhead was actually the best between-the-tackles runner of all of them. But that's based on gut feel and casual memory of stats, not rigorous analysis of stats or consideration of eye tests.

If you think Vereen is "useless" you must feel the same about Woodhead because their rushing numbers are very similar.

Vereen was pretty good, but worsened over 2014 and was, in fact, useless as a runner at the end of the year.

I say this with regret, because I've always liked Shane and only wanted him to do well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST