PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Up and Downs: Denver Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsBoy12

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
UPs:

Tom Brady . . . QB is a mainstay on this list the past few weeks. Four touchdown throws against a defense that many people said was being underrated and they were playing so much better than NE's defense. Many pundits talked about the bookend DE's and Talib. Well, somebody forgot to tell Tom apparently. The quarterback's sole interception hit his receiver right on the hands. It wasn't all perfect, as he missed on a few throws, but he showed once again that he quite possibly is still the best QB in the NFL.

His movement in the pocket today was at an all-time and very vintage high today. He slid around masterfully, extending plays and throwing well on the run. His accuracy was off a bit early, but that changed quickly, and that's when the Offense started making plays. He found guys in tight windows for key first downs on numerous occasions. He was at his best for what seem like the fifth week in a row.

33 of 53 333 yards 4 touchdowns 1 interception (that Amendola should have caught)

Julian Edelman . . .
Minitron played like Megatron in terms of impact on the game. Punt return was an early tone-setting play. However, the crucial catches on third down were more important and really hurt the Broncos. Brady's accuracy and precision was off the charts after a few misses early. Edelman shook off the stink of the past few games with clutch catches. He was focused today (as was the team).

9 catches 89 yards 1 touchdown

1 PR touchdown

Team Defense . . .
People are going to talk about the yards. People are going to talk about the big plays. What they are going to overlook is how NE stopped the best offense in the game and held them to 21 points. They'll overlook three stops on fourth down, one damn near at the goalline. They'll overlook how Manning spent most of his afternoon trying to decipher the Patriots defense. The disguising was great. Each level of the unit made critical plays.

The front seven stood tough. I expected Denver to be able to run the ball up and down the field. That didn't happen. There were gains. Of course. But they kept the Denver RBs mostly contained. That made Denver one-dimensional. Then they successfully moved Manning off the spot. They made him shuffle his feet and, unlike Brady, he hates doing it. Brady flourishes here.

The LB's covered, blitzed, stopped the run. They played the perfect game. Pass catchers were tackled immediately. Running backs found few lanes. QB was moved off the spot multiple times by blitzing LB's.

The secondary covered well for most of the game. They intimidated the Denver receivers and generally brought them down right after the catch. Sanders and Thomas got off, but Julius Thomas and Welker didn't. After a shaky start, Revis' name was seldom mentioned. That's a good thing. Browner played well. Look, it's feast or famine with him. He will make plays and he will get called for some. That's just the way it is going to be.

Patrick Chung . . .
Unsung hero of the defense all season. The DB was all over the field, but he especially showed up in pass coverage today. He was all over Tamme and pretty much anyone else they threw at him. It was obvious that he and Butler were identified and targeted by Manning. Chung (and Butler to a lesser extent) came up big today. I mean, I watched Tamme abuse him in Indy. Not today.

Jamie Collins . . .
The linebacker had impact plays at all three levels of the defense today. He was consistently in the backfield, shooting gaps in both the run and passing game. He showed none of the struggles in pass coverage today that he has shown in weeks past. He proved to be that weapon today that everyone expecting. The hope with him is that he learns to harness all of his talent more consistently. Finished as the leader in tackles.

DOWNS:

O-Line . . . Anything in the downs is going to seem nit-picky. However, the O-Line allowed enough pressure on Brady for there to be some discomfort. Brady made quite a few plays on his own today and his pocket presence today was reminiscent of Brady during those SB years (go back and watch the Carolina game in particular). He slid around masterfully and that helped the O-Line. Ware was abusing and intimidating Solder. There was tons extra shoves after whistles. Von Miller was his usual disruptive self. Lot of max protect today, and Brady was still uncomfortable. Still, leagues and bounds better than earlier this season, OF COURSE.

They failed to open many holes in the running game. Vereen was able to gain some tough yards when the game was still being decided. Gray, not so much. Play-action was still effective, though.

Jonas Gray . . .
Might be a bit unfair considering it was his second professional game against a good run D, but other than one and maybe two scampers, the RB was a non-factor. Vereen picked up more tough yards than Gray, and Vereen is not that type of back. The stage might have been a bit too big, or maybe the O-Line just failed to open holes in the run game.

Shane Vereen . . .
File this under nit-picky, but he had some drops today. He had some good catches and runs. He got the TD. However, his performance was still underwhelming. He has showed none of what made him presumably better than Woodhead. He really hasn't done it save the game against Buffalo and maybe one or two more games. How can anyone argue that? He has been largely disappointing when one compares his performance to the hype coming into the season.

THE REFS
. . . That is all.

Last edited:
I think Tom is playing with more fire and has more pocket movement than ever. If I did not know better, I would say he was 25 not 37.

The refs were terrible. The goddell factor no doubt.

Down: "The best team in the NFL" Denver Donkeys!

You're pretenders! Get the fcuk outta here!

Up: Revis/Browner. Game changers.

Bill Belichick, the GM for signing both guys... I guess BB the GM doesn't suck after all.....

You're right, the D gets a definite UP. Denver's run game was stymied. When it mattered the extremely potent Denver pass game was contained. But you're off on:
(1) the OL being down. Yes, the Broncos got pressure/knockdowns for sure, however, the OL frequently gave Brady a pocket to drift in against a pretty damn good DL. Also, some of the pressures/knock downs are the fault of the blitz-countering scheme. When a team sends 6 guys in on blitz, it's on the coaching staff to counter that with quick passing. That third quarter blitz assault is on BB/JM/TB to counter it through quick and specific passes.
(2) Not having Lafell as a down. He just barely earns the down for a couple of drops (fairly easy catches to make). One can be forgiven, two earns a down.
(3) You're right that it is unfair to call Gray a down. He didn't let the ball tough the ground, with limited space he lowered his head when could, he tore off a couple of nice ones at the end to help salt the game.
Special note: I enthusiastically agree that Chung gets an up. I know part of Chung's resurection is certainly due to the proverbial rising tide. But he came back to Foxboro as a near epic fail, gave it all in his practice/preparation, now appears to be playing within himself (and playing physical!).

Side note: Reiss gives Amendola a Down based on the Int. You can't put that on him!

Honestly the whole Patriots coaching staff and players deserve an Up. Even LaFell and Vereen both had important plays they executed to help the win (these are the two guys I think, arguably, could get a Down). We were playing, arguably, the best team in football that has an extremely potent pass game and a statistical 'one of the best' defense. No way was this going to be a perfect performance across the board. This game would be about scheme, adjustments, physical, all out effort, taking care of your responsibility, forgetting any positive plays by Manning by playing the next play right. The coaches and players came to play. This game was definitely, IMHO, a top (BB/TB) down team win.....

The refs were terrible. The goddell factor no doubt.

I disagree. Simms was right about one thing, they (the refs) were largely letting the players play (a la 2013 and before). This, imho, is how a game should be called. Call what is blatant then, otherwise, let them play.
No, the refs were not perfect by any means, however, they let a lot of the ticky tack contact between receiver/defender go. To me it was a refreshing way to see a game officiated versus time after time after time after time of ticky tack arbitrary calls being made.

up...del rio, browner big time
down....only 1 gronk spike...

Up...THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Down...The Forehead Foreskins of Flopping Duck Gulch

I disagree. Simms was right about one thing, they (the refs) were largely letting the players play (a la 2013 and before). This, imho, is how a game should be called. Call what is blatant then, otherwise, let them play.
No, the refs were not perfect by any means, however, they let a lot of the ticky tack contact between receiver/defender go. To me it was a refreshing way to see a game officiated versus time after time after time after time of ticky tack arbitrary calls being made.

except for the PI in the endzone that gave the broncos a TD, and then the drive in the 3rd that the refs marched down the field on a bunch of ticky tack bs calls that the patriots never seemed to get.

except for the PI in the endzone that gave the broncos a TD, and then the drive in the 3rd that the refs marched down the field on a bunch of ticky tack bs calls that the patriots never seemed to get.

I get the frustration. I made a point to mention "No, the refs were not perfect by any means" to validate the frustration. However, I don't know that the PI in the endzone flag was obviously incorrect. Inconspicuously sliding one hand around the waist of a receiver definitely happens on a lot of passing plays (happens in a lot of drinking establishments too), however, if it's done to the targeted receiver and it had an effect on the receiver having a chance to make the reception, there's an argument to be made this is the time to call it.

With that said, look at some of the recent games the Patriots played then compare them to last night's game (it's 12:05am:)). The parade of arbitrary and head scratching ticky tack calls seem to appear far less here (on both teams). That's a good thing....

DOWN: Brandon LaFell.

After having a few huge weeks, he literally dropped the ball too many times. Most notably on the first drive when Brady had him deep. The ball went right through his hands. You can't do that in these big games. Then on a bullet pass in the end zone, he dropped it. Brady immediately started going to Edelman after that, and its a good thing Edelman stepped up.

After having a few huge weeks, he literally dropped the ball too many times. Most notably on the first drive when Brady had him deep. The ball went right through his hands. You can't do that in these big games. Then on a bullet pass in the end zone, he dropped it. Brady immediately started going to Edelman after that, and its a good thing Edelman stepped up.

6 catches for 53 yards and 1 touchdown + several big plays/catches.

That's not too shabby. I'm not sure that your comment of "Brady started going to Edelman after that" is necessarily indicative of what you're suggesting, since LaFell led the team with 13 targets compared to 10 for anyone else.

I'm guessing that Edelman would have been involved no matter what.

In the end, I suppose that LaFell could be considered a DOWN due to the fact that he dropped a couple of balls, but we're starting to get nitpicky.

It does seem a little weird that they kept going with Gray and did not even attempt to use Bolden

It does seem a little weird that they kept going with Gray and did not even attempt to use Bolden

I'm guessing that they'll continue to allow Gray to earn reps by the fact that he has worked hard and hasn't fumbled, etc.

That may only be for another game or so, but he looked good enough vs CHI with 86 yards to justify a further look. I don't think that Bolden has done anything much better (IMO).

I'll take giving up 1 sack of 50+ drop backs against Von Miller and Demarcus Ware from our OL.

Personally I thought Vollmer and Solder were doing a very solid job pushing ware and miller past the pocket. there was only really 1-2 occasions where i saw them get flat out beat and that was Vollmer on a beautiful spin move from Miller.

I was surprised to see Reiss list Amendola in the downs for the INT.

There is NO way anyone on the team other than maybe Gronk would have come down from that pass. Brady was falling backwards and that pass sailed. It's one he should have eaten.

Tom also threw a terrible pass to Gronk that was behind him, but Gronk made an amazing play. That easily could have been a pick.

Not saying Tom is a down, he was obviously awesome all day long. But I'm sure BB will put those on the QB rather than the receivers when they review the film.

UP: The fan that caught Gost's kickoff that went into the stands with the help of a brisk wind. We need to bring him in for a workout.

If you want to blame anyone for this missed LaFell long TDs, you have to look at the QB. Yes, Brandon got his hands on the first one, but it was with a full out dive and the throw was a laser so he didn't have much loft to work with.

I don't really blame either on the first one, I think Tom could have led LaFell differently for an easy TD the second time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back