PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots = Chicago Bulls of the NFL

As you have seen throughout these years that 2 or 3 elite receivers and a strong defense can make a team really good. Purdy made it to the Superbowl. The Brady 6 showed that you don't need an elite arm, a quick forty and a basketball dunker to win. You need an accurate qb who makes great decisions mostly and can play well under pressure. Patriots have shown they are NOT willing to break the bank in FA. So it's gotta be the draft. I think we have witnessed what happens when you draft awful. Let's see Mayo in the Kitchen and then coaching. Long way too go...
Purdy is on one of the most stacked teams in the NFL. What are you talking about? McCaffrey is arguably the best RB playing today, Kittle is arguably the best TE playing today, Deebo is a top 5 WR, Aiyuk is probably the best #2 in the league, their tackle has been a First Team All Pro the last 3 years in a row. On defense, Nick Bosa was DPOY a year ago, Fred Warner has consistently been the best MLB in the league the last few years, Chase Young is a stud who was a DROY, Ward is one of the top 5 CB's nowadays. The team is littered with talent across the board and Purdy is like a top 10 QB in his own right.

They’re one left tackle away from being a competitive team.
Nope. WR X, FS, RT, QB of the future, third down RB, outside boundary CB, TE. This team lacks talent especially on the offensive side.

But LT isn’t so bad now with the Pittsburgh player the Pats picked up, Chuks Okorafor. He fell in bad graces of Tomlin by venting, saying at one point that the team should take a knee on offense for the rest of the game against the Jaguars. This Tomlin overheard and went ballistic.

Last summer you were optimistic about the OL. I argued against you. I was pessimistic. We went back and forth. And this was before Belichick’s “oh ****” moment when he brought in Lowe and Wheatley when Anderson had disappeared with a near fatal health problem we must not discuss and, as expected, Antique Reiff had gone down with a season-ending injury.

But I now feel pretty good about LT with Chukie O starting, who is a natural LT unlike where Pittsburgh had put him. This was a solid pickup. He can be backed up by one of the following : Sickly Cal Anderson, VLowe, or McDermott. Unlike the first two, McDermott is an honest to goodness functional swing tackle.

You want a competitive OL? Draft that bulldozer from Oregon State. Move Onwenu back inside where he dominates.

Last edited:
Nope. WR X, FS, RT, QB of the future, third down RB, outside boundary CB, TE. This team lacks talent especially on the offensive side.

But LT isn’t so bad now with the Pittsburgh player the Pats picked up, Chuks Okorafor. He fell in bad graces of Tomlin by venting, saying at one point that the team should take a knee on offense for the rest of the game against the Jaguars. This Tomlin overheard and went ballistic.

Last summer you were optimistic about the OL. I argued against you. I was pessimistic. We went back and forth. And this was before Belichick’s “oh ****” moment when he brought in Lowe and Wheatley when Anderson had disappeared with a near fatal health problem we must not discuss and, as expected, Antique Reiff had gone down with a season-ending injury.

But I now feel pretty good about LT with Chukie O starting, who is a natural LT unlike where Pittsburgh had put him. This was a solid pickup. He can be backed up by one of the following : Sickly Cal Anderson, VLowe, or McDermott. Unlike the first two, McDermott is an honest to goodness functional swing tackle.

You want a competitive OL? Draft that bulldozer from Oregon State. Move Onwenu back inside where he dominates.
They're going to get a QB of the future regardless, the big difference is they have a competent QB now... which is a big departure from what they've had since 2020. If BB signed Brissett last year, he'd probably still have a job.

Last summer I was optimistic about the offensive line if they stayed healthy. At no point last season did the Pat's have their starting five lineman on the field for an entire game, and they started the most different lineups of any team in the league. The line was an injury nightmare and after the abysmal start Trent Brown become a disgruntled toddler. No team has the depth to be good if they can't stay healthy, especially a team introducing three rookies on the line as backups.

RT they have Onwenu, they don't have a RT issue. I think they could try to slide Sow out to RT and move Onwenu back inside, but if that experiment fails, they could keep it the same as last year. By season's end Sow and Onwenu were dominating on the right side of the line.

Here's the depth chart with the trash crossed off, even if Strange starts the year on the IR, Mafi and Jake Andrews got crucial developmental snaps last year and should return stronger. Add a blue chip left tackle to this group and they're really good, assuming health and continued development by last year's rookies.

LT – Rookie, Calvin Anderson, Chukwuma Okorafor, Vederian Lowe,
LG – Cole Strange, Antonio Mafi, Nick Leverett,
C – David Andrews, Jake Andrews,
RG – Sidy Sow, Michael Jordan
RT – Michael Onwenu, Conor McDermott, Tyrone Wheatley, Andrew Stueber,

Chuka Okorafor wasn't good and didn't get replaced simply for venting... he wasn't good. Even if he is long and doesn't allow a lot of sacks, he doesn't move the needle at all as a run blocker, he's a poor athlete. They need a left tackle, whether they know it or not. Since you're pumping Okorafor up and dismissing Sow entirely, I have to question your evaluation process.

FS would be a nice addition in the draft, but they could get by right now by playing a CB back there, Shaun Wade or even an older guy like Jon Jones. They'll surely add some depth in the DB's in the draft, free agency or UDFA's... but it's not a debilitating position for them. They have almost the entirely same DB room from last year coming back and are getting Gonzalez and Marcus Jones back healthy presumably. There's no desperation to find a starter.

Third down RB? They just signed one of the best third down RB's in the NFL in Antonio Gibson... did you miss that?

At TE they have Hunter Henry and Austin Hooper, that's two solid proven vets. They can draft a guy and let him sit and watch behind those guys.

So again, after QB and LT... that leaves them with six draft picks, league leading cap space to add UDFA's and value vets still sitting out there on the market. They can fill in the depth at WR, FS, TE and even afford to add a "best player available" player if they want.

LT would make them competitive immediately assuming health. They could become a power run team, run an efficient mistake free offense with Brissett and play tough defense and win a lot of games until the rookie QB was ready. They probably won't light up the scoreboard, but they could hold their own and not turn it over.

They have some important needs, but not a lot of needs. Fix the offense, everything else is pretty good.

Last edited:
  • Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
And just for reference, according to the Patriots roster on their site, they have room to add 18 more players to reach the 90 they need for camp.

That’s eight draft picks if they don’t trade any, and ten more free agents of the UDFA and value vet variety.

There’s a lot of work left to do.

We haven't even had a single draft post Belichick yet and people are dooming the Patriots to an eternity of mediocrity.

We have no idea what the current regime will do at this point. Sure they weren't active in a mediocre free agency. That is all we have to go on thus far.

Give it time. And even if Bob Kraft is the cheap one. How many more years does he have left running the team? Jonathan is definitely different than Robert. Not sure if that is a good thing or not, but Jonathan has a more 2024 view of how to build the team than Robert does.

Well, you need to give the new regime a chance. We don’t know what they will do. They are 2 months into it. They may suck, they may be great. But we don’t know what the ly are. So unless you have a crystal ball and are a Mind reader we don’t know what they will be doing. If you are possessed with these skills, please enlighten us.
Agreed. 90% of the new direction will be the QB, how the QB is developed and how he can translate to the field. Today's NFL is all about the QB. I believe Mayo's got his own coaching style just like any other coach in the league. But I'd have to imagine the QB is where the new direction starts.

LT would make them competitive immediately assuming health.
They're a long way off from being competitive. Offense is thin gruel and the defense is ok but nothing special. Thank our former GM/HC for the mess he left behind..
They could become a power run team, run an efficient mistake free offense with Brissett and play tough defense and win a lot of games
They aren't going to win a lot of games in 2024.
until the rookie QB was ready. They probably won't light up the scoreboard, but they could hold their own and not turn it over.
Don't think that wins your definition of "a lot of games"...

They're a long way off from being competitive. Offense is thin gruel and the defense is ok but nothing special. Thank our former GM/HC for the mess he left behind..

They aren't going to win a lot of games in 2024.

Don't think that wins your definition of "a lot of games"...
You’ve already proven to be a compromised poster, your analysis is biased nonsense and can’t be trusted.

You deny facts to push your prejudiced BS. Don’t bother responding to my posts or you’ll just get more canned responses like this one. It’s the best I can do without being insulting.

• Ha Ha
You’ve already proven to be a compromised poster, your analysis is biased nonsense and can’t be trusted.

You deny facts to push your prejudiced BS. Don’t bother responding to my posts or you’ll just get more canned responses like this one. It’s the best I can do without being insulting.
"Prejudiced"... ok

Biased garbage…
Keep defending that wall for an unemployed head coach...he had become a liability and now he's gone.

Keep defending that wall for an unemployed head coach...he had become a liability and now he's gone.
You’re a clown.

• Ha Ha
They're going to get a QB of the future regardless, the big difference is they have a competent QB now... which is a big departure from what they've had since 2020. If BB signed Brissett last year, he'd probably still have a job.

Last summer I was optimistic about the offensive line if they stayed healthy. At no point last season did the Pat's have their starting five lineman on the field for an entire game, and they started the most different lineups of any team in the league. The line was an injury nightmare and after the abysmal start Trent Brown become a disgruntled toddler. No team has the depth to be good if they can't stay healthy, especially a team introducing three rookies on the line as backups.

RT they have Onwenu, they don't have a RT issue. I think they could try to slide Sow out to RT and move Onwenu back inside, but if that experiment fails, they could keep it the same as last year. By season's end Sow and Onwenu were dominating on the right side of the line.

Here's the depth chart with the trash crossed off, even if Strange starts the year on the IR, Mafi and Jake Andrews got crucial developmental snaps last year and should return stronger. Add a blue chip left tackle to this group and they're really good, assuming health and continued development by last year's rookies.

LT – Rookie, Calvin Anderson, Chukwuma Okorafor, Vederian Lowe,
LG – Cole Strange, Antonio Mafi, Nick Leverett,
C – David Andrews, Jake Andrews,
RG – Sidy Sow, Michael Jordan
RT – Michael Onwenu, Conor McDermott, Tyrone Wheatley, Andrew Stueber,

Chuka Okorafor wasn't good and didn't get replaced simply for venting... he wasn't good. Even if he is long and doesn't allow a lot of sacks, he doesn't move the needle at all as a run blocker, he's a poor athlete. They need a left tackle, whether they know it or not. Since you're pumping Okorafor up and dismissing Sow entirely, I have to question your evaluation process.

FS would be a nice addition in the draft, but they could get by right now by playing a CB back there, Shaun Wade or even an older guy like Jon Jones. They'll surely add some depth in the DB's in the draft, free agency or UDFA's... but it's not a debilitating position for them. They have almost the entirely same DB room from last year coming back and are getting Gonzalez and Marcus Jones back healthy presumably. There's no desperation to find a starter.

Third down RB? They just signed one of the best third down RB's in the NFL in Antonio Gibson... did you miss that?

At TE they have Hunter Henry and Austin Hooper, that's two solid proven vets. They can draft a guy and let him sit and watch behind those guys.

So again, after QB and LT... that leaves them with six draft picks, league leading cap space to add UDFA's and value vets still sitting out there on the market. They can fill in the depth at WR, FS, TE and even afford to add a "best player available" player if they want.

LT would make them competitive immediately assuming health. They could become a power run team, run an efficient mistake free offense with Brissett and play tough defense and win a lot of games until the rookie QB was ready. They probably won't light up the scoreboard, but they could hold their own and not turn it over.

They have some important needs, but not a lot of needs. Fix the offense, everything else is pretty good.
What has Brissett ever done to say that he is good?

• Agree
What has Brissett ever done to say that he is good?
Brissett as a starter:

926-1511 attempts, 61% completions, 9994 Yards, 208 YPG, 48 TD's, 22 INT's, 85.2 QB Rating, 6.61 YPA, 190 rushes, 853 YDs, 4.5 YPA, 12 rush TDs

Throws two TD's for every interception, completes 61% of his passes. He is Andy Dalton with a bigger more physical frame that can run for more third down conversions.

Won't wow you, but probably won't lose the game for you either. “Good,” not great.

After hearing Wolf say today that he, "feel(s) good about where we are" in regard to the offensive roster, it dawned on me that I have no faith in the leadership or direction of this organization. That comment, combined with the total dud that was FA, Jerod Mayo's waffling in comments to the media, the Kraft drama (propaganda documentary/assassination of Bill Belichick) - none of it sits well.

The Patriots are going to become the Chicago Bulls of the NFL. A concentrated run of utter dominance by an otherwise completely irrelevant franchise.

verklempt saturday night live GIF

Agree completely. Eliot Wolf is duplicitous pond scum.

Brissett as a starter:

926-1511 attempts, 61% completions, 9994 Yards, 208 YPG, 48 TD's, 22 INT's, 85.2 QB Rating, 6.61 YPA, 190 rushes, 853 YDs, 4.5 YPA, 12 rush TDs

Throws two TD's for every interception, completes 61% of his passes. He is Andy Dalton with a bigger more physical frame that can run for more third down conversions.

Won't wow you, but probably won't lose the game for you either. “Good,” not great.

He’s a journeyman backup caliber QB. That’s a few notches south of “good”.

Hopefully the rookie changes the outlook of the QB room cause right now it’s scary bad. One guy is a journeyman backup, another belongs on the practice squad at best and another is a CFL player.

He’s a journeyman backup caliber QB. That’s a few notches south of “good”.

Hopefully the rookie changes the outlook of the QB room cause right now it’s scary bad. One guy is a journeyman backup, another belongs on the practice squad at best and another is a CFL player.
Joe Gibbs won three championships with three different journeymen QB’s nobody else wanted. A journeyman backup QB beat Brady in the 2017 Super Bowl.

Brissett’s stats as a starter are better than most backups, they’re better than about a quarter of last year’s starters. He’s “good” because you’re understating how many average to poor QB’s there are.

Joe Gibbs won three championships with three different journeymen QB’s nobody else wanted. A journeyman backup QB beat Brady in the 2017 Super Bowl.

Brissett’s stats as a starter are better than most backups, they’re better than about a quarter of last year’s starters. He’s “good” because you’re understating how many average to poor QB’s there are.
May be true and I don't disagree but I still wouldn't call Brissett "good". I think Foles is good though. I believe he holds the NFL single season record for TD/INT ratio.

Theismann was a SB and league MVP I wouldn't put him in the category of journeyman backup QB.

May be true and I don't disagree but I still wouldn't call Brissett "good". I think Foles is good though. I believe he holds the NFL single season record for TD/INT ratio.
Brissett as a starter:

926-1511 attempts, 61% completions, 9994 Yards, 208 YPG, 48 TD's, 22 INT's, 85.2 QB Rating, 6.61 YPA, 190 rushes, 853 YDs, 4.5 YPA, 12 rush TD’s

Nick Foles as a starter:

1219-1959 attempts, 62% completions, 13253 Yards, 228 YPG, 73 TD's, 45 INT's, 85.0 QB Rating, 6.77 YPA, 134 rushes, 409 YDs, 3.0 YPA, 6 rush TD’s

Very similar passers, Brissett turns it over less and is a superior runner. If Foles is good, so is Brissett.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back