PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Two players - one plays, one doesn't - and what it does or doesn't say...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayo is a 4-3 MLB to build around.
I doubt very much that BB builds his defense around a single player, no matter how good he may be. Players get injured in the NFL every game, every week. If you build a defense around a player and then he gets injured, what happens?

But perhaps I misunderstand your comment?

I'm going to pray you're not really this dense.

We've already seen Vince Wilfork play at an NFL level without the presence of Warren and/or Seymour.

We've yet to see Ron Brace play in the NFL, and in college he had the benefit of playing next to Raji. This does not imply that Wilfork hasn't had the same benefit, however we have seem him perform without said teammates.

In summation, there is nothing to suggest that at this point in time, Brace can be deemed Wilfork's successor.

Hopefully this clears things up for you.

OK, now we're getting somewhere. So your actual point is that your illogic DOES apply both in the NFL and in college, but we've seen Wilfork play without Seymour and Warren, so we know he is good. So, extending your fine logic, if we had never seen Wilfork without Seymour and Warren, we never would've known he was good? Right? Got it.

No one is saying Brace will be the player Wilfork is. But let's stop acting like he is some street free agent from Holy Cross.

I doubt very much that BB builds his defense around a single player, no matter how good he may be. Players get injured in the NFL every game, every week. If you build a defense around a player and then he gets injured, what happens?

But perhaps I misunderstand your comment?

Well, you build an offense around a QB, or a RB, if you have adrian peterson. If they get hurt, tough luck. The Ravens have been lucky with Ray Ray. Hopefully, once he's healed, we'll a long streak of Mayo.

Just because they were okay for 2 and a half quarters without him doesn't mean they won't need him.

i agree they will not be better with out wilfork just like they are not better with out seymour

but if they trade it there best player on D for a draft pick 2 year's from now because he was a FA after this year

i dont see them bringing back wilfork a 2 down run stoper

who will get even more then seymour on the open market because he is younger team's that run a 3-4 will offer him big money

and we all know the pats dont over pay for there FA

i hope he come's back i just dont think he will

OK, now we're getting somewhere. So your actual point is that your illogic DOES apply both in the NFL and in college, but we've seen Wilfork play without Seymour and Warren, so we know he is good. So, extending your fine logic, if we had never seen Wilfork without Seymour and Warren, we never would've known he was good? Right? Got it.

No one is saying Brace will be the player Wilfork is. But let's stop acting like he is some street free agent from Holy Cross.

I give up. I don't know if you're being coy or what; if not, might I suggest a remedial English course, because this is simply going right over your head.

But I've been drinking all day, and since you're a Cane, like me, I'll do you a solid. Here's a logic chain for you; please try to keep up.

Wilfork has played at a high level in the NFL.
Brace has not.

Wilfork and Brace have both played next to very, very good defensive lineman. Both can be said to have benefited from their respective situations.

Wilfork has played at a high level even when his fellow DL have been out with injury.
Brace has not. So not only has Wilfork played well without complementary players, he's done so at an NFL level. Brace has not. So deeming Wilfork expendable and Brace as his replacement is premature.

I give up. I don't know if you're being coy or what; if not, might I suggest a remedial English course, because this is simply going right over your head.

But I've been drinking all day, and since you're a Cane, like me, I'll do you a solid. Here's a logic chain for you; please try to keep up.

Wilfork has played at a high level in the NFL.
Brace has not.

Wilfork and Brace have both played next to very, very good defensive lineman. Both can be said to have benefited from their respective situations.

Wilfork has played at a high level even when his fellow DL have been out with injury.
Brace has not. So not only has Wilfork played well without complementary players, he's done so at an NFL level. Brace has not. So deeming Wilfork expendable and Brace as his replacement is premature.

Two and three are irrelevant. Your whole argument is 1, above. That's fine. I can't argue with that. But there are reasons to believe Brace is at least solid, which is all he needs to be. You are being coy with respect to that proposition.

Anybody that believes that Vince Wilfork will not be resigned for next season based on Myron Pryor's play today is fooling themselves. Pryor did a solid job, but he's not Big Vince.

Anybody that believes that Vince Wilfork will not be resigned for next season based on Myron Pryor's play today is fooling themselves. Pryor did a solid job, but he's not Big Vince.

I don't know who you're referring to, but the Patriots aren't going to sign VW because they don't think he's worth $8M per. Myron Pryor's play today doesn't have much to do with it.

I don't know who you're referring to, but the Patriots aren't going to sign VW because they don't think he's worth $8M per. Myron Pryor's play today doesn't have much to do with it.

If they didn't think he was worth that per year, why would they let Seymour and his huge cap hit go a year before he was supposed to be a free agent? They definitely have plans to re-sign Wilfork.

I don't believe it was ever argued that Brace wasn't a good college player. You are trying to use his argument of "just because Brace played well in COLLEGE next to good players doesn't mean he'll play well in the NFL" and apply it to "just because Wilfork played well in THE NFL next to good players doesn't mean he'll play well in the NFL"

Last edited:
They're not signing Wilfork at $8M per year when they can pay Pryor and Brace less than $2M combined. It's just not happening.

Why do you say this?

The NFL salary cap is close to $130M this year and will only increase, assuming an eventual new CBA. Mr. Kraft has always committed to spending right up to the cap, and the Pats' total expenditures have generally come quite close. They've paid well for many players, including Richard Seymour and Adalius Thomas. There's no evidence that they would not resign Wilfork just because they have some talented young players at the position. Depth is critical in the NFL, and those guys provide flexibility as well.

That's not to say that Wilfork couldn't price himself out of the Pats' range. But I suspect they'll offer a pretty hefty sum to keep him.

Comparing Pryor to Wilfork ... that's crazy.
Pryor gets the advantage so far of not being schemed against like Vince.
I love Pryor and his high rpm motor but I doubt he'll ever be Wilfork ... 2 different styles even.

What on EARTH in my post produced this response? I said, "It'll be interesting to see what happens if Wilfork's out for a bit."

I have NO IDEA what Pryor will be, nor did I claim to. I just said that how he plays will have a bearing on what the Patriots decide to do about Wilfork. And it absolutely will. I'm not sure how that's even arguable.

If they didn't think he was worth that per year, why would they let Seymour and his huge cap hit go a year before he was supposed to be a free agent? They definitely have plans to re-sign Wilfork.

They're not entering into any big contracts until the CBA is renegotiated. The Seymour move was UNRELATED to Wilfork. I understand that many here assumed they were related, but there's just no reason to believe that.

Thanks for the scoop, and apologies to everyone. I saw that he was never on the injury report and didn't play, assumed a lot after that. My bad.

Well, now they are saying that Wilhite was the victim of a home invasion. I hope he wasn't injured in it.

Of course, in 2001, Bledsoe had played at a high level in the NFL, Brady had not.

I don't think you can judge a rookie by whether or not he has played in the NFL.

No, but likewise you can't definitively state the Brace/Pryor would be adequate replacements for Wilfork, just as you couldn't have said then that Brady would have been head and shoulders above Bledsoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST